Puerto Plata: The police state!

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
BushBaby,
Yes I agree that drugs in general are a cancer but on the issue of justice the authorities must follow the rules, for without rules....there's anarchy.:pirate:
Every day throughout the world innocent people are jailed or worse based or tainted evidence. If it can be shown that any evidence is gathered in an unlawful way by the authorities then it should be thrown out. Maybe justice is not being served in this case but how will we know if the authorities are allowed to ride roughshod over the rights of the individual to a fair trial?
Isn't that one of the fundamentals of a free and just society?:chinese:
Remember the old adage...It's best that 100 guilty go free than one be hung in error.:glasses:
Mack.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
BushBaby,
Yes I agree that drugs in general are a cancer but on the issue of justice the authorities must follow the rules, for without rules....there's anarchy.:pirate:
Every day throughout the world innocent people are jailed or worse based or tainted evidence. If it can be shown that any evidence is gathered in an unlawful way by the authorities then it should be thrown out. Maybe justice is not being served in this case but how will we know if the authorities are allowed to ride roughshod over the rights of the individual to a fair trial?
Isn't that one of the fundamentals of a free and just society?:chinese:
Remember the old adage...It's best that 100 guilty go free than one be hung in error.:glasses:
Mack.
I totally agree (although I could be persuaded otherwise where DRUGS are concerned) - Evidence that IS admissible should be allowed & evidence that is INADMISSIBLE should be declined to be heard. In THIS case (if my understanding of the facts is correct & the facts even GOT to the Judge) the ADMISSIBLE evidence put forward by the Chief of Police was not allowed to be heard before the perpetrators were 'let off to go do more drug pushing/trafficking' with just a scare.

Is my interpretation of the news report in error? Was not OTHER evidence put forward AND IGNORED by the Judiciary? ~ Grahame.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
BushBaby,
If you directed this question to me
Is my interpretation of the news report in error? Was not OTHER evidence put forward AND IGNORED by the Judiciary?
I'm sorry but I can't answer. My Spanish is muy poco. Maybe Lambada can answer.
Mack.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
BushBaby,
If you directed this question to me
I'm sorry but I can't answer. My Spanish is muy poco. Maybe Lambada can answer.
Mack.
It was designed as a general, open question Mack but I think Lambada already DID answer it by her comment in the previous post by her (She'll doubtless clobber me round the ears or reprimand me here if she did NOT intend my interpretation :cheeky:).

I have just read PROCURADOR GENERAL CORTE AFIRMA POLICIA DA?O INVESTIGACION POR PROTAGONISMO & get the strong impression that other 'VOLUMES' of evidence was not even considered by the Judge due to the failure in procedure relating to the taped telephone conversations.

I appreciate it is a little difficult to follow in the translated 'Babblefish' (Go to Babblefish - language translation - money - travel, copy paste the link above into the 'link for translation' box, enter Spanish to English translation & wait for translation to appear) but I THINK you will get the same impression as me - any alternative evidence was not even considered!!

Hence my comment about Judges attending classes to learn what IS admissible evidence & what is not. It certainly looks as though someone else is pulling their strings on this case!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Difficult to know the running order of what happened when but it looks like Chief of Police sent volumes of paperwork to the Public Ministry, who felt that none of that counted as evidence. I don't know if it even got to the judge. Maybe the Public Ministry (in SD) told the Prosecutor (in PP) that he couldn't use the Chief of Police's paperwork? The Prosecutor in PP is part of the Public Ministry & it was the Procurator of the Appeal Court in PP (viz head Fiscal in PP) who wrote the 6 paragraph report referred to here:
PROCURADOR GENERAL CORTE AFIRMA POLICIA DA?O INVESTIGACION POR PROTAGONISMO

So maybe what you have is a prosecutor in PP trying to bring home a case, not, shall we say, receiving the sort of organisational backup from his own organisation which would be helpful to him and a judge faced with evidence none of which, allegedly, is admissable.

There's another significant para in this:
El terrible informe de Puerto Plata :: CLAVE digital

'Lo m?s relevante es que el informe no s?lo documenta v?nculos de autoridades con narcotraficantes, sino que, al igual que en Peravia, los agentes de la seguridad fueron convertidos en sicarios que llegaron a ejecutar hasta un triple asesinato (enero 2 del 2009), que vend?an informaci?n policial y judicial privilegiada, y participaban en las guerras entre los mismos delincuentes por el control de los mercados, no s?lo de la ciudad de Puerto plata, sino tambi?n de los municipios circunvecinos.'

Everyone knows this has been going on for quite some time. Can anyone make a case stick? Seemingly not in the case of the 23 released police officers. Why not?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Pulesssee

I was going to start a long defensive rant bout how the country just changed from the Napoleonic Code to the British system but let's face it.... Most of us have heard more than one story here -- the real case is how much money does the Judge want?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Respectfully disagree in this particular case, mountainannie. I think the judge was a pawn as much as anything & my hunch is that the issue is more of an internal one, shall we say. However, I'm not in the habit of speculating so we'll leave that particular issue there.

The 8 defendants appeared in Court Friday to appeal their remand in custody. They lost the appeal and so remain in custody. The judge ruled that there is sufficient evidence to pursue the case (this being the unlawful killing of three men in early January).

CORTE RECHAZA APELACION EX OFICIALES Y CLASES POLICIA NACIONAL

Also interesting is the statement issued by the Puerto Plata branches of the Colegio Dominicano de Periodistas (CDP) and the Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de la Prensa (SNTP):
Puerto Plata Digital

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank Goodness I am not a betting man otherwise I would have to lay odds that this will come back "No Intimidation Found in the 'phone call enquiry for information'!!" ~ Grahame.

He read your post ;). AG has apologised to El Caribe editor & journalist and has contacted Puerto Plata Procurator for an explanation:

Procurador apoya a El Caribe ante intimidaci?n

Very clever. Are we all following the twists and turns thus far?

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
NO!!!
My reading of Spanish is worse than my spoken Spanish. Not all the pages translate to English through google and im struggling.
Can you give us a quick reminder in lay mans terms?

Mar 2, 2008
Brief synopsis, from top of page:

8 defendants remain in custody.

Procurator of PP Appeal Court phoned an El Caribe journalist to ask how she got her information about this case:

An apparent attempt to intimidate journalist.

Not to worry, the AG is going to look into it to see if it was intimidation

'Irony' used to indicate that the AG (attorney general) might not be sincere.

Thank Goodness I am not a betting man otherwise I would have to lay odds that this will come back "No Intimidation Found in the 'phone call enquiry for information'!!" ~ Grahame.

Grahame confirming irony.

"AG has apologised to El Caribe editor & journalist and has contacted Puerto Plata Procurator for an explanation:"

AG very cleverly covering his butt.

All pretty easy to follow, even with poco y mal espanol, in my opinion.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Puerto Plata Digital

This is the guy who allegedly ordered & paid for the hit in early January on the three young men, which was allegedly carried out by a police patrol. He is now in custody having given himself up via Human Rights Committee. Apparently in custody in same location as we're led to believe the people he allegedly contracted to do the job.

fghi366

Apr 14, 2009
game of physics

Department of Physics, close combat career. An assassin, will head off into. Wearing the defensive secondary to lock a Leather Armor, defense is low, very high output instant injury, fast-paced combat, about as fast as possible. To deceive the opponent can stealth, sneak behind the enemy waiting in the wings to move wow gold. Master control can completely control the rhythm of the fighting. Can only unlock a career, you can open the locked chest, you can open some locked doors.