Puerto Plata Tourism Growing

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No Gorgan you are not missing the point ..just to get the numbers lined up.Puerto Plata handles about 750,000 passengers every year and Punta Cana about 7,000,000 every year so an increase of 50,000 passengers each year in each airport is 6.6% for Puerto Plata but 0.7% in Punta Cana . Nice to see Puerto Plata having a tourist revival but the percentage comparisons are meaningless .

So the comparable is a multiplier of 9-10:1

I have no problem with that....
The discussion is whether the true measure is % or absolute.
The RD gov't values the % - who are we to comment?

Thinking beyond the numbers--
Where is the largest capacity for growth ?
That will be the determining factor...

If Punta Cana is maxed out or close to it...both the % and the absolute numbers will drop
No Room At The Inn - as my friend from the bible would say

If POP has the capacity for absorption of tourists - the advantage tilts that way.

Why or how a market is driven -- that's the big question.
And capacity has a role there - at least short term.

We know Thompson just bought into POP through its hotel company investment

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pedantic comes to mind....

but - our boy is our boy... no changing stripes here.

first of all, i am not your boy.

secondly, you started this, with some crack about sticking to linguistics

i had no idea this would end up here. it is a simple concept, really. if you have 100 dollars, and i have 10 dollars, and someone hands each of us 10 dollars, your stash has increased by 10%, and mine by 100%. the amount in question is the same, and we are not solving for anything.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No Gorgan you are not missing the point ..just to get the numbers lined up.Puerto Plata handles about 750,000 passengers every year and Punta Cana about 7,000,000 every year so an increase of 50,000 passengers each year in each airport is 6.6% for Puerto Plata but 0.7% in Punta Cana . Nice to see Puerto Plata having a tourist revival but the percentage comparisons are meaningless .

what you just posted is exactly what i have been saying...

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There have been a few natural disasters around the area that will redirect more people to the DR.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
There have been a few natural disasters around the area that will redirect more people to the DR.

Exactly! It’s an ill wind that doesn’t blow some good. I hope interest is revived in the former Luperon Resort. It’s not beyond redemption yet and the good people of Luperon could certainly use the employment. It would be a big social and financial boost to the area if it reopened. The road from Imbert to Luperon is still a white knuckle drive and would need significant improvement. The new power line delivers more dependable electricity and I see others signs of improvement as well. 

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Playa Bergantín area, between the Gran Parada and Playa Dorada seems to be a new hot spot. Beautiful panoramas, fairly cheap land, well located. Maybe that's what Francisco Javier Garcia (MITUR), was referring to. Local influencers already buying it up. Already talk of a second cruise port thereabouts.

All speculative, but worthy of a second look.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I think the obvious would be for those residents and merchants that participate right here within this forum to discuss whether they see an uptick in new visitors or consumers, as the directive suggests.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
We know Thompson just bought into POP through its hotel company investment

I thought it was Thomas Cook, the other big British tour company that was investing in the north coast. I was hoping that would mean they would resume flights to POP from the UK. Did I get that wrong?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think the obvious would be for those residents and merchants that participate right here within this forum to discuss whether they see an uptick in new visitors or consumers, as the directive suggests.

As a resident who rents apartments in Cabarete, this summer has been the quietest for years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I thought it was Thomas Cook, the other big British tour company that was investing in the north coast. I was hoping that would mean they would resume flights to POP from the UK. Did I get that wrong?

It is Cook - I confused the two - sorry

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
first of all, i am not your boy.

secondly, you started this, with some crack about sticking to linguistics

i had no idea this would end up here. it is a simple concept, really. if you have 100 dollars, and i have 10 dollars, and someone hands each of us 10 dollars, your stash has increased by 10%, and mine by 100%. the amount in question is the same, and we are not solving for anything.

That's  rude William, sorry to say that.

Where I come from we go 'out with the boys'.

or say , That boy's my friend

It's a term of endearment....

But there's one boy I'll be firing today - My investment manager.

He called me to adjust my portfolio -
He points out that my $100 stock went up $2 yesterday and my $10 stock also went up $2.

He wants me to transfer my money to the $100 stock....
I argue that I am doing better with the $10 one.....

It's an uphill battle when he's that smart.

I think I'll fire him

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where I come from we go 'out with the boys'.

or say , That boy's my friend

It's a term of endearment....

But there's one boy I'll be firing today - My investment manager.

He called me to adjust my portfolio -
He points out that my $100 stock went up $2 yesterday and my $10 stock also went up $2.

He wants me to transfer my money to the $100 stock....
I argue that I am doing better with the $10 one.....

It's an uphill battle when he's that smart.

I think I'll fire him

at no point in time did you mean any of this to be endearing. first of all , you start off with the gargoyle thing, and you know my position on the name issue. we have been down that road before, and adults are supposed to be able to get the meaning behind these requests.

then you go right into...stick to linguistics. as if mathematics is too strenuous for me to comprehend. by then it had passed the point of no return.

william, i am rubbing up against 70 years of age. if i do not know what i am looking at by now, it is already too late to do so.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, first and last warning. WW and gorgon, cease and desist.

This thread is about Puerto Plata province. Nothing else.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010

well,any percentage increase is obviously better than a percentage down crease .But everyone was focusing on the fact that when you start with a very low figure,that has been declining for years it is so much easier to have an increase than when you have a very high figure that has been increasing for years. And to that extent ,most people wrote correct postings .
As I pointed out earlier,the absolute numbers also are available from the Government and really the absolutely extraordinary growth of the east over the past decade in terms of airport passengers .The hotels seem to have it on the right formula to attract tourists .As a slight aside, Casa de Campo has fallen right behind this spectacular growth in Bavaro/punta Cana in much the same way as Puerto Plata has .The various tournaments that may have attracted 300 participants are now attracting about 80 and the hotel is very often almost empty . As A.A Milne said, you have to run twice as fast just to keep still.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another article on same subject, also computer translated:

PTO PTA: Airport reflects a 14.7% increase in passengers

By EDITORSDate: October 6, 2017

PUERTO PLATA.- Dominican airports Siglo XXI (Aerodom) reported as part of its participation in the sixth edition of the Puerto Plata Marketplace Discover Tourism Fair that at the end of August the Gregorio Luperón International Airport reflected a passenger increase of 14.7 % compared to the same period in 2016.

"The Canadian market grew 22% from January to August, boosted by the increase in frequencies of major destinations, Montreal and Toronto, as well as new routes from cities such as Bagotville , Fredrercton, Moncton, Regina, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg; in addition, the United States registers an increase of 8.5% compared to 2016 due to the increase of the frequencies from the cities of New York and Charlotte, "he said.

Pacheco also announced that Puerto Plata will be the first airport in the country and the Caribbean, to receive the Airbus A350-900, one of the most modern aircraft in the world, which will operate Finnair from November 30 to and from Helsinki during the season of winter 2017-2018.

He added that, as of 6 November, Azur Air will operate a weekly frequency from Dusseldorf during the winter season, with a B767-300 aircraft with a capacity of 334 seats; also, from December 14 Eurowings will connect Dusseldorf and Puerto Plata with a weekly frequency, operated by Airbus A300-200 equipment with capacity for 310 passengers.

Eurowings will operate during the summer of 2018, with a weekly frequency, the route from Munich, which was only served during the winter season and Sunwing will add during the winter the city of Canada, CharlotteTown, with a frequency per week.

In the event organized by the Tourist Destination Cluster Puerto Plata (CTDPP) with the sponsorship of the Ministry of Tourism of the Dominican Republic, the Aerodom team promotes the facilities of the Puerto Plata International Airport, recognized this year as "Best Airport of up to 2 millions of passengers from the Latin American and Caribbean Region "in the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) surveys, awarded by Airports Council International (ACI).

The Discover Puerto Plata Marketplace Tourism Fair is being held from October 4-6 at the Blue JackTar Hotel of the Playa Dorada project.

http://almomento.net/pto-pta-aeropuerto-refleja-un-14-7-en-incremento-de-pasajeros/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a resident who rents apartments in Cabarete, this summer has been the quietest for years.

As a resident who also rents apartments in Cabarete, it is not quiet. It is DEAD! I have gone from having a couple of hits per week to ZERO hits over months of time.

But then, putting in resorts does not necessarily help the local apartment and condo rental market. Perhaps over time some of those people will want to return to the north coast and not stay in resorts.

The high cost of airfare to POP airport is one big reason for the downturn. Maybe things will pick up, but the trend over the past several years has been steadily downward in Cabarete.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015

I have a bar, I don t have a lot of tourists, but I have a lot of clients who live here and work in tourism and we where talking about the growth of tourism here last week. The people who come to my bar and work with tourists, are all doing a lot better then a year or two years ago.

There are people who sell excursions and are working with the cruise ships and they are making more money then before.
There are people who work in shops where tourists from the cruise ships come and they are making more money then before
There are people who s wife didn t have a job before and they have a job in Amber Cove now and they make more money then before
There are people who sell excursions (nothing to do with the cruise ships) and they were telling that they had the bussiest summer in years. More people in Lifestyle, Iberostar, Riu and more of them who are booking excursions online
There are people who work in Playa Dorada with excursions, one of my clients didn t have a job for more then a year and thanks to the growth in Playa Dorada he has gotten a new job and he is selling great. Another one of my clients is still looking for more employees because there are going to be
2 new hotels opening in December.
and I can go one like this (I also have Dominican clients who work in hotels or as cabdrivers etc who now get more work or more tips, etc)

And all these people have more money to spend thanks to the growth of the tourism here, so they spend more money in the bar and the colmado and shops etc, so those people are also making more
Overall the clients who come in my bar and work in tourism are all saying that it is better then before, that they finally see an improvement