Puerto Plata Tourism Growing

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Receiving direct feedback from those with proper knowledge is vital, but there still seems to be a discrepancy between various towns within the province of Puerto Plata. As stated here by two posters with direct knowledge of the real estate game, they are hurting in Cabarete. BelgianMik and his area of concentration seem to be doing very well. Maybe the government is leaning on the positive vibes generated by the area BelgianMik is located.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Also, I have not seen a direct marketing campaign involving the north coast. Should this not be brought to the attention of the Tourism Ministry? Do they really care? It seems all efforts and resources are dedicated to the Punta Cana/Bavaro region. When exiting SDQ, there are many billboards promoting the PC/Bavaro area, including specific shops and malls, but nothing in regards to either Santo Domingo proper, or the south coast leading up to the eastern point all-inclusives.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
But to also look at things from the other side of the pitch, I ask those that are involved with the renting or leasing of apartments what do they specifically do to market their properties? Local agencies, word of mouth, classifieds abroad, items as such? Do you include photos of the properties, as well as make mention to nearby attractions (dining/entertainment) that would grab a vacationers attention? I ask because it does not seem like the government or Tourism Ministry will be doing anything to assist, and you may have to think outside of the box, or rather inside of the box Dominican style and hold an old fashioned huelga.....tires included. If nothing else, it gains attention, albeit negative, just look at Boca Chica. It pains me to currently witness what happened to that once thriving community.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I have a small hotel in Cabarete and my business this year was on par or better than the year before (depending on the month) even though we had all that rain and flooding last winter. I think for the people trying to market through AirBNB and HomeAway that their business has slowed a lot in the past couple years. Those outlets seem to be less effective marketing platforms than before.

Last edited:

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I'm not sure if this tidbit belongs here, but in regards to tourism numbers being down, slow or even dead, I do know of several people who work in the A-I's of the PC/Bavaro region, and as of September the 1st they were given an eight week layoff (two months), due to slow tourism numbers as well. No pay, but their medical benefits are intact, and if not restored to full work by November the 1st, they will be compensated accordingly.

When the hurricanes came nearby, bookings for the fall season slowed to a stand still.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a small hotel in Cabarete and my business this year was on par or better than the year before (depending on the month) even though we had all that rain and flooding last winter. I think for the people trying to market through AirBNB and HomeAway that their business has slowed a lot in the past couple years. Those outlets seem to be less effective marketing platforms than before.

AirBNB has grown dramatically. I was one of the first to use them in the area and was asked to represent them in the DR. In other words I would be recruiting my own competition. I declined.

Now people that are on AirBNB have found that they must drop their price to compete with each other as their listings grew in number and people were not getting bookings at previous prices. I saw this coming and it is another reason for reduced bookings in my case (while being good for the consumer). It is what it is.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
which caseta is yours, Mik? i might like to pop in for a drink sometime...strictly incognito..

Safe to assume it is the caseta that has a Belgian by the name of Mik in close proximity. Shouldn't be too hard to narrow down.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
which caseta is yours, Mik? i might like to pop in for a drink sometime...strictly incognito..

Nr 3, Tropical Bar, I have 3 of the 4 sides.
Now 4 years that I have my bar.
On Tuesday we are closed. On Friday evening we have karaoke.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
cool. now i know where you are...

I have been visiting on the malecon for many years, usually to the same caseta, but i think i will try the Tropical. Always seen the sign and heard the music but never dragged my butt over. Change is good i hear.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Nr 3, Tropical Bar, I have 3 of the 4 sides.
Now 4 years that I have my bar.
On Tuesday we are closed. On Friday evening we have karaoke.

It looks like a great location with many favourable reviews on the internet, especially in regards to the menu and cleanliness of the establishment. Congratulations, and continued success.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Thank you all. You are always welcome.
You can try our typical Belgian meals, it is something different than all the meals everybody else have.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Just a quick question, which casetas have wifi available while enjoying a cold Presidente and enjoying the view. I am referring to the malecon in Puerto Plata. :)

Last edited:

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Just a quick question, which casetas have wifi available while enjoying a cold Presidente and enjoying the view. I am referring to the malecon in Puerto Plata. :)

Story, I don’t know. When I’m there I just enjoy that view and cold Presidente. :)-)

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015

The only ones I am certain of is Martha's (in the back of nr 2) and my cassetta. But in cassetta 9 you can also enjoy the WiFi from Acapella.

On topic: new flight between Paris and Puerto Plata starts from December.