Puerto Rico intercepts yola with 20 Dominican boatpeople

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
PR could offer easy access for illegals...
certainly there's work to be had...

Squatting should be easy with all the people that have left.

I can see the attraction.

As for Cuba... the last bastion of Communism..
which was a little experiment in Russia that didn't last 100 yrs.

It will be but a footnote in future history books.... other than its failure

Our Franco Canadians are the big visiting group to Cuba...
they were incensed when the US opened the door a bit.... prices went up

"certainly there's work to be had"

This is a concept that some here within this forum may not properly grasp. I state may, because that assertion is not meant to be all-inclusive, but at times it seems that some posters may be a little out of touch with daily life in other parts of the world aside from their proper living expanses.
There are some people that only strive to attain an honest day's work and be fairly compensated for that work in order to survive and attempt to provide for their families. The media, both broadcast and social, has been inundated for several months with reports that Puerto Rico was destroyed; needs to be rebuilt; lacks the required skilled workers to get this work done; and so on and so forth. If you were a laborer of any sorts or means, do not possess the employment opportunities here within the RD or lack the basic resources to survive here, why would you not attempt the journey to a place where "there's work to be had"?
Aside from the treacherous, sometimes fatal journey across the Mona Passage, interdiction by immigration authorities, the unknown of being away from one's home, and the preoccupation of being sent back to RD at any time, some are willing to take on the challenge if it means finding compensated employment.....of any kind, for however little or long a period of time. Whatever may happen after, will happen after. Is the reward worth the risk? Is the risk worth the reward? That is up to the respective individual.
There is a large Dominican community within Puerto Rico. They did not have the same opportunities to fly or sail off to Miami, Orlando or Nueba Yol in the preceding months. It is not a far stretch of the imagination to believe that those there on the island are calling their friends and/or relatives here in RD to take the perilous trip if circumstances within their respective lives may dictate that course of action.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They obviously did not read the thread in the Debates forum. The DR economy is booming. It has been for the past ten years. High paying jobs and competitive in the global economy.

Yola trips to PR have actually been declining for years. 

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Or, paid travellers are not arriving at their intended destination.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you Caonabo 
Couldn’t say it better myself 

PR is the only escape route for many 

And I must adamantly reiterate, to work. Not just attempt to live off of a foreign government, and attempt to gain something for nothing, as truthfully does occur in instances, but is all too frequently referenced as the sole reason.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I mentioned the story to my local friends

Dangerous trip was the first response... they'll die

Second was
but they'll work there.....

Bingo !!
they all know

The RD domestic numbers miss a ton of capable people....
not enough employers - IMO....aside from menial work.

as you said -- and they have one foot on US land

Better yet - both feet OFF the island of Hispaniola -- their nemesis

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dominicans in PR are looked at like Haitians in DR - except treated more humanely

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It must be terrifying for them....

most cannot swim...

English is more prevalent in PR ...

But.....

Imagine Islanders not swimming - unheard of - we think
But them remember the Irish potato famine.... they died by the thousands.
No clue how to harvest food from the ocean...
totally soil based economy...

I was dumbfounded to learn that little nugget

But when you think about it.........
How could they starve to death beside an ocean ??

They did.....
end of story

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
The fact they remained 6 months+ without electricity islandwide makes me skeptical, at least regarding the distance in infrastructure. Something like that is unthinkable here nowadays.

Electricity should be the last comparison by which the DR should measure up to any other country with the exception of the $hithole to the west of it, woudn't you agree?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
In what aspect is PR ahead of DR at this point and time? I've got to hear this.

Let me go and grab the popcorn while I'm at it.

This isn't the way it works, see, I stated my point; up to you now to debate it, present a rebuttal?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There must be some attraction...

That yola trip wasn’t free...it cost something 

Like divorce, the alternative doesn’t have to be better...just get me out
And it might cost 

Last time I heard ‘boat people ‘ was the evacuation of Vietnam ???????????? 

Do you know what that cost per person?
$250,000US

Imagine, country in shambles 
No bank
If you didn’t have it under then mattress, what?

You barter with the boat 

Gold, jewelry, what ?
In all cases you’ll get less than market.

Now , a family of four.... a million $$$

No wonder they all went on to succeed..

These weren’t farm workers 

My guess is these Dominicans aren’t all that low either 

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Or subsequently not reported.

-MP.
"Grullon said Dominicans are increasingly moving back to their country, and he noted that the flow of Dominicans entering the U.S. territory illegally also has decreased dramatically: The U.S. Coast Guard detained 1,565 Dominicans in 2004, compared with 133 in 2014.

"What's surprising about this trend is that up until now, the migration had been from the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico, and the main motive was a difference in salary and more jobs," said Jorge Duany, an anthropology professor at Florida International University who has long studied migration patterns between the two."

(...)
San Diego Tribune: Dominican economy lures Puerto Ricans in crisis

I haven't found how many were detained last year, but it can't be much different from 2014's. The trend has been downward for quite some time.

Edited to add:

Funny how after I make the post, I find the information I was originally looking for. In 2017, 451 Dominicans (18% of total) were intercepted by the U.S. Coast Guard. It's higher than in 2014, but not as high as when the Dominican economy was in crisis.

In the same period 1,442 Haitians and 1,532 Cubans were intercepted by the US Coast Guard.

See page 19: https://www.uscg.mil/Portals/0/documents/budget/2019 BIB_FINALw.pdf

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As someone who knows Dominicans living in PR: There is far less work there now to attract many Yolas. As NALS pointed out, the economy in PR has been causing a reverse migration back to the DR for a number of years now. Some obviously are still willing to take a huge risk and go to PR from DR in a yola.

If PR were a country, it might have made Trump's recent list..

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
If PR were a country, it might have made Trump's recent list..

If (PR) would be an overstatement, it would have made the list without any doubts.

The shield and safety blanket is the federal government and that is widely known and thus the lure for Dominicans to still risk their lives even under the extreme economic circumstances PR is under.

The economy boom in the DR only takes effect on certain groups and hence the touting and embellishment by people within these same groups (the ones with the cars, the visas and the grants to study overseas because of their family monies and relation, you know who you are).

If one wants to see the true economy of the DR, one needs to go no further than to the any city or town or just take a ride by Villa Mella, Gualey or the Ozama River.

Come back and tell me about the economy boom thereafter?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This isn't the way it works, see, I stated my point; up to you now to debate it, present a rebuttal?

Roads are better, police are slightly more honest, property titles easier to research and obtain title insurance, a real postal system, door delivery of Amazon packages. UBER almost everywhere. Cars are slightly better condition and maintained. Gasoline prices $1.25 a gallon cheaper. Better and less expensive cell service with free calls to the states. Cargo shipping in and out is easier including importation of a vehicle. No passport needed to fly to the states. Little to no illegal Haitian immigration. US Coast Guard patrols. Better hardware stores.

BB King and The Rolling Stones played there and I saw them up close.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Roads are better, police are slightly more honest, property titles easier to research and obtain title insurance, a real postal system, door delivery of Amazon packages. UBER almost everywhere. Cars are slightly better condition and maintained. Gasoline prices $1.25 a gallon cheaper. Better and less expensive cell service with free calls to the states. Cargo shipping in and out is easier including importation of a vehicle. No passport needed to fly to the states. Little to no illegal Haitian immigration. US Coast Guard patrols. Better hardware stores.

BB King and The Rolling Stones played there and I saw them up close.

Somebody has actually lived in PR and the DR and has empirical evidence to compare and come up with an informed individual decision.

PR at its worse, would be light years ahead of the DR as long as PR is attached to the federal government period.

Those pretending to compare the "booming" of the DR to the living conditions overall in PR are delusional (for personal reasons) on their own minds.

BTW, the Coast Guard perhaps is more interesting in drugs interdiction than maritime interceptions of Dominicans going across to PR in yolas.