That yola trip wasn’t free...it cost something 

Like divorce, the alternative doesn’t have to be better...just get me out
And it might cost 

Last time I heard ‘boat people ‘ was the evacuation of Vietnam ������������ 

Do you know what that cost per person?
$250,000US

Imagine, country in shambles 
No bank
If you didn’t have it under then mattress, what?

You barter with the boat 

Gold, jewelry, what ?
In all cases you’ll get less than market.

Now , a family of four.... a million $$$

No wonder they all went on to succeed..

These weren’t farm workers 

My guess is these Dominicans aren’t all that low either 
Are you talking US dollars or pesos William ?

Because for $250,000 US I'd buy a boat with a toilet and give out free sandwiches and back massages and listen to bachata for the whole trip. I hear most pay about $1,000 to $2,000 US each - and there are no refunds.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
If (PR) would be an overstatement, it would have made the list without any doubts.

The shield and safety blanket is the federal government and that is widely known and thus the lure for Dominicans to still risk their lives even under the extreme economic circumstances PR is under.

The economy boom in the DR only takes effect on certain groups and hence the touting and embellishment by people within these same groups (the ones with the cars, the visas and the grants to study overseas because of their family monies and relation, you know who you are).

If one wants to see the true economy of the DR, one needs to go no further than to the any city or town or just take a ride by Villa Mella, Gualey or the Ozama River.

Come back and tell me about the economy boom thereafter?

Because you choose to only see one aspect of Dominican life through the tinted glasses you wear. Yes, there are problems within the RD. In certain places, serious problems. As do exist in every corner the world. Your assertion does not speak of the entire nation. Without being too personal, as it is not intended, please state from where you originate, and I will dedicate some time to the "plight" of your own people, without tinted glasses.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are you talking US dollars or pesos William ?

Because for $250,000 US I'd buy a boat with a toilet and give out free sandwiches and back massages and listen to bachata for the whole trip. I hear most pay about $1,000 to $2,000 US each - and there are no refunds.

THat Vietnam cost is what it was ---- US $$$$. 250,000 of'em.

Those little boat outings are not just dangerous... $$$$ too.

$1-2,000 for those Dominicans is a hard number to scrape up....

My point was -
Those evacuees are not the dregs of society.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
THat Vietnam cost is what it was ---- US $$$$. 250,000 of'em.

Those little boat outings are not just dangerous... $$$$ too.

$1-2,000 for those Dominicans is a hard number to scrape up....

My point was -
Those evacuees are not the dregs of society.

Right - the dregs of society to me are not honest poor people but the criminals and drug addicts that prey on others.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'll search for another word choice -- you're right...
Dregs can be misinterpreted

Lower scale on the society ladder or something.
Lower economic echelon....

You get it -- I know...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Because you choose to only see one aspect of Dominican life through the tinted glasses you wear. Yes, there are problems within the RD. In certain places, serious problems. As do exist in every corner the world. Your assertion does not speak of the entire nation. Without being too personal, as it is not intended, please state from where you originate, and I will dedicate some time to the "plight" of your own people, without tinted glasses.

Do you really need to ask where that DR1er is from? Isn’t it obvious? lol

By the way, PR is currently suffering the worst emigration in its history. 
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/puerto-rico-migration-data-invs/index.html

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I live in rural North Shore in Luperon County.

If the economy is healthy then the people here are not enjoying its benefits.
Milking cows, digging ditches, cleaning floors is an existence only ; but with a twist
They are not Dregs, just poor people.

I pay what is considered good wages here ($10,000 DOP) a month, plus Room with ensuite bath and food.
I understand she gives most of this cash to her grandchildren.
Not poor in heart just cash poor.
I can see why they would want to escape to PR where the streets are paved with Gold. Same old story ,new place and situation.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
High emigration..... I bet !!!

And perhaps that's why others come in... to fill in the gaps.

I don't like to focus on the squatting idea but many of those leaving are turning their backs on land, house, etc.
Unattended....

Open fields to plant...

and a piece of USA.

There must be an urge to get off this island and there aren't many ways for most to do it legally.

Think Alcatraz....
if you can swim.....

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I have not given him much attention, although it is hard not to witness his tendency to troll, and attempt to bait others into ridiculous squabbles.

No need to pay attention to myself, what's a fact is that with a living wage average of approximately $200.00 I just can't agree nor be part of the "booming" DR wagon?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
"Grullon said Dominicans are increasingly moving back to their country, and he noted that the flow of Dominicans entering the U.S. territory illegally also has decreased dramatically: The U.S. Coast Guard detained 1,565 Dominicans in 2004, compared with 133 in 2014.

"What's surprising about this trend is that up until now, the migration had been from the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico, and the main motive was a difference in salary and more jobs," said Jorge Duany, an anthropology professor at Florida International University who has long studied migration patterns between the two."

(...)
San Diego Tribune: Dominican economy lures Puerto Ricans in crisis

I haven't found how many were detained last year, but it can't be much different from 2014's. The trend has been downward for quite some time.

Edited to add:

Funny how after I make the post, I find the information I was originally looking for. In 2017, 451 Dominicans (18% of total) were intercepted by the U.S. Coast Guard. It's higher than in 2014, but not as high as when the Dominican economy was in crisis.

In the same period 1,442 Haitians and 1,532 Cubans were intercepted by the US Coast Guard.

See page 19: https://www.uscg.mil/Portals/0/documents/budget/2019 BIB_FINALw.pdf

I am really not interested in the number of yola crossings whether they increase or decrease is irrelevant to me. What is concerning is the fact that people feel that it is their only resort and chance at a better life. We see this with Dominicans, Cubans, Haitians and migrants from various African countries. People don’t run from a good situation in general. You leave for greener pastures. The irony is PR is experiencing unprecedented hard times and these yola people still want to go. I don’t think it is a good option because the crime rate there is through the roof.

The DR is not economically prosperous and again numbers and stats don’t interest me when it comes to this topic. I go by the reality of what I see on the ground. The DR has pockets of affluence and plenty of low income people. Llamar al pan pan y al vino vino.

-MP.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am really not interested in the number of yola crossings whether they increase or decrease is irrelevant to me. What is concerning is the fact that people feel that it is their only resort and chance at a better life. We see this with Dominicans, Cubans, Haitians and migrants from various African countries. People don’t run from a good situation in general. You leave for greener pastures. The irony is PR is experiencing unprecedented hard times and these yola people still want to go. I don’t think it is a good option because the crime rate there is through the roof.

The DR is not economically prosperous and again numbers and stats don’t interest me when it comes to this topic. I go by the reality of what I see on the ground. The DR has pockets of affluence and plenty of low income people. Llamar al pan pan y al vino vino.

-MP.
That the amount of people attempting to reach the US via PR is a lot less than when the DR had an economic crisis does says a lot.

The other side of the coin is explained by Yadira Morel in a very simple language.

[video=youtube;TWi3rg7EMf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWi3rg7EMf0[/video]

Many of the Domyorks return to the country throwing money around, buying beer for everybody, and renting luxurious SUVs for 2 weeks. Many locals see that and they too don’t believe statistics, they believe what they see and they want that life.   For those without means for a visa, the yola is the way to that life. Except that once they make it to Nueba Yol, their eyes open very wide for the wrong reasons. They can’t go back to DR appearing as failures, so the cycle repeats.  The young ones see the new Domyork throwing money around, he remembers that he left in a yola, and guess what that young guy will want to do next? He believes what he sees, so no amount of telling him what life is really like for immigrants in Nueva Yol, especially illegals, will convince him otherwise. 

Can’t blame him, though. As soon as you’re done explaining to him the real immigrant life in NY, he see’s another Domyork that just got off the plane with the aroma of cologne, a fresh haircut, the latest sneakers; plus buying beer for everyone and taking everyone on a ride in the rented Toyota Landcruiser Prado.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

-MP.

PR is not a final destination. it is an entrepot. it is a way to get to NY, if certain nuances of the culture can be adopted.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
PR is not a final destination. it is an entrepot. it is a way to get to NY, if certain nuances of the culture can be adopted.

Depends on what you do for a job, I made a lot of money working in PR, and many I knew. made much more than me. And with a descent income there you can have a good time

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

Yes, that I know but my main point remains that these people are leaving because the DR is not as prosperous as some put forth. Refer to the thread in the Debates forum. It is ridiculous. You would believe the DR is a G7 country. People leave because of strife. The Mona Channel is dangerous. Fortunately, I am not living their desperation.

-MP.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

-MP.

I am not attempting to be argumentative with you, but the number of yola crossings and by whom is indeed extremely relevant to this conversation, and the situation at hand. The fact that you can just brush them aside as meaningless numbers is preposterous.
In post #36, NAL's provides some very important information which, yes, revolve around numbers. Using statistics according to the US of A Coast Guard.....
"In 2017, 451 Dominicans (18% of total) were intercepted by the U.S. Coast Guard. It's higher than in 2014, but not as high as when the Dominican economy was in crisis. In the same period 1,442 Haitians and 1,532 Cubans were intercepted by the US Coast Guard."
The numbers speak for themselves, in that the grand majority of people attempting to enter Puerto Rico from RD shores are from Haiti and Cuba, not RD.
Now, allow us to take this one step further within this process. How many of those 451 Dominicans attempting to enter PR, have been previously deported from the US of A or the EU for serious criminal offenses, and have no other option but to try and re-enter through PR by means of a yola voyage? No, not every Dominican attempting the yola voyage is the poor campesino or low income person looking for a better way of life that you describe or solely choose to view.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I live in rural North Shore in Luperon County.

If the economy is healthy then the people here are not enjoying its benefits.
Milking cows, digging ditches, cleaning floors is an existence only ; but with a twist
They are not Dregs, just poor people.

I pay what is considered good wages here ($10,000 DOP) a month, plus Room with ensuite bath and food.
I understand she gives most of this cash to her grandchildren.
Not poor in heart just cash poor.
I can see why they would want to escape to PR where the streets are paved with Gold. Same old story ,new place and situation.

You state yourself that you reside in a rural area. How many other rural areas throughout the globe suffer from economic hardships? I have not come across too many economic "boom towns" that exist in rural areas within any nation that I have traveled. Again, I speak specifically of rural areas. Rural areas usually consist of a nation's respective farming and agricultural operations, and it is that sector which will define the economic opportunities that exist for that particular area or region. Where the RD is unique, is that "wealthy" expatriates choose to reside within these rural areas, for their own particular reasons.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I certainly hope you aren't mistaken by tagging me as Puerto Rican?

Nothing further from the truth.

Although the exodus in PR is a fact, what's also an evident fact is that life is better in the island to the east.

I asked from where it was you originated from, only because I wanted to make some comparisons. With your response to NAL's above, I take it you are not from the US of A, because you would then know that Puerto Ricans are your fellow countrymen. You are aware of this, yes?