Re-discover Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
Gorgon - I cannot comment for other enclaves, whatever experience you have of Costambar to have left you with the feelings you are expressing I would humbly suggest is the exception rather than the rule, I was not going to comment further except for the casual observer you are suggesting that Costambar is a White only selective community, this may well be the case for other communities but is deffinatly NOT what Costambar is about as all the residents and visitors to Costambar would testify.

To the casual observer - Costambar welcomes all with open arms, whatever your colour, nation or creed, please do not be put of by Gorgons posts, he, you will note, is a lone voice in the post, and, as others will assure you, Costambar is a safe, friendly and culturally diverse community with a great beach, good restaurants and accommodation to suit all budgets. Enough Said!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
here is the deal, Mark. i do not post to put people off. i am merely stating what i am aware of. i know of people who tried to persuade the owner of Blackbeard?s to decline requests from African Americans to stay there. that is a fact. the same types who are incensed that the ?homeboys?are overrunning Sosua.none of this is a closely guarded secret. i am not here to tell anyone how to live their lives. i am simply stating that, in my personal opinion, such behavior is not acceptable to ME. in your case, the choice is up to you.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
OK, I have been watching this post and now think I should have my say..... We got married on Costambar beach in November 2008, we had over 30 guests, from 9 different countries including Dominicans. So YES Costambar is very Cosmopolitan and I for one, would not want to live anywhere else, Costambar is our home and it deserves more credit. So please come and visit, you won't be dissappointed.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I just don't know why people always feel the need to bash Costambar. It is a very quiet nice community where we've been going sine 1986. Please let up on Costambar, it may not be what you like, but please stop constatntly critizing

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Boston Mary laments

I just don't know why people always feel the need to bash Costambar

here is how life works, Mary. some things work for some people, and against others. the people for whom they work are generally well pleased. others, who see a different face to the issue, should have the inalienable right to make critical statements, without people getting all defensive. not everybody is going to share in your rhapsodising about the glories of Costambar. the issues i referred to, regarding people who would rather exclude Dominicans and other people of color, are not secrets. if you are caucasian, Costambar is great for you. i have met African Americans who went there, and stayed at some villa there, who swear that they will never return, because they felt unwelcome there. as a black man, my opinions are informed by the experiences of people who look like me. that is how life works.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I also have met people of color, quite a few Afro Americans, who have stayed there and others who have brought property and they all were very happy. I think it may depend on the individual not their race. I just feel that the negativety is always on Costambar and not other areas. You are right that you are entitled to your opinion; I just stating my opinion

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
you have not been to parts of Londonstan and Bruesselstan

ffritz informs

There is a faction in town who don't realise that they are guests in this country & the beach belongs to the Dominicans, just as there is everywhere in the world there are immigrants.

not really. depends on who the immigrants are. when immigrants go to the USA, and Europe, from other countries, they realise that they are guests in someone else?s country, and act accordingly. they might bring loathsome habits with them, such as noise, and outrageous parties, and other antisocial attributes. they never , however, think that they colonised America, or Canada, or Germany. they do not set up exclusive enclaves, with the intent of keeping the local born people at a distance, nor to have exclusive rights to things like beaches. i better not get started...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i am far from praising costambar even thou it is quiet (apart from the beach) and safe. yes, i wish to see the access to the beach restricted but not because of the coulour of the visitors but rather because they are (largely) noisy, lousy buggers who bring their loud music, throw rubbish where they stand and release their body fluids (and solids) where they stand (lack of facilities is only part of the blame). the colour i don't give two f***s for. also, if i might add, i have never seen any anomosity in costambar towards black people. yes, the guards at the door may molest some people arriving on motos but their job is to hassle visitors :)

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Not wanna hijack the thread but family with kids? Why not try out Xtreme Gym hotel in Cabarete one of the budget years, great stuff going on there for kids, very good family hotel, great atmosphere.

Hi, been a way for a few days. No, sorry it was read incorrectly. We are taking kids to Punta Cana in November, when we visit the North Coast we are always on our own.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Boston Mary assures

I also have met people of color, quite a few Afro Americans, who have stayed there and others who have brought property and they all were very happy.

a buddy of mine, on vacation in POP, went to Costambar, and stopped off in a bar to have a cold one. a group of guys at the table next to him spoke disparagingly of all the n***gers who started coming to Blackbeards, contaminating ?their?neighborhood. one of the antagonists realised that he was within earshot, and went over to his table , saying..?sorry, i did not realise you were there, and i did not mean you, yourself?. this was related to me by a close friend from Newark, who has sworn never to return. so, as i said, you can relate glorious tales of the joys of the colored man in Costambar. i hear different.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
Gorgon - Look, Costambar is not Blackbeards, for those not in the know, Blackbeards is an 'adult' only hotel that happens to be situated in Costambar, frequented by a certain type of clientele, nothing wrong with that, it keeps itself to itself. I am sorry you or your buddies have come across this sort of blatant racism, however, every community, weather black, white, yellow or any other colour, will have a very small number of racist, bigoted individuals, their views are neither representative nor supported by the rest of the community. I personally have not come across these views and can assure you that if I did I would be forthright in expressing to the said individuals that it was they who were not welcome.

To tar an entire community with the same brush is insulting to the vast majority, to quote 'the glorious tales of the black man in Costambar' is demeaning to the other good people contributing to this post who are agast that someone would suggest that racism is the trait of their community. By not responding to it would smack of tacit approval, and that is certainly not the case. So I hope you appreciate as to why people are on the defensive.

Not wishing to repeat myself but once more I wish to reiterate that Costambar is a Safe, inclusive, diverse, cosmopolitan place with residents from all walks of life from many nationalities representing many colours and creeds. It is a great place for families with a great beach, and a warm and friendly atmosphere, many eateries, two mini markets and a pharmacy, not forgetting the golf course and tennis courts. In addition to this a new spa and gym are being built. With the range of accommodation to suit all budgets it really does offer something for everyone!

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I am African American and have been to Costambar many times during my 30+ visits to the DR over the years and have never experienced any negative attitudes there. I'm also 50+ so maybe my experiences are different than those who might be younger and from a different culture. I also am not a patron of Blackbeards, after visiting the DR a couple of times you realize that there are countless better ways to obtain the same result without frequenting a residential brothel. In my opinon if you didn't have forehand knowledge of Blackbeards then you probably wouldn't even know it was there.

All of my visits to Costambar have been in the daytime since it doesn't look like much goes on at night but those daytime visits have always been fun. I enjoy all of the north coast beach communities in the DR along with Costambar and I would recommend to anyone happening to be in POP to stop by Costambar for a drink or 2. Its not Sosua with a 100 stalls of vendors right on the beach nor is it Cabarete with upscale eateries right on the beach but the place has a nice quaint charm to it that is relaxing and not overly crowded.

My 2 cents.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gorgon: you will not find a place in this world that is rasist free, it's a fact. one moron alone - nor even few of them - does not speak for the enire community. and i have always seen costambar folks as a welcoming bunch.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Boston Mary assures

I also have met people of color, quite a few Afro Americans, who have stayed there and others who have brought property and they all were very happy.

a buddy of mine, on vacation in POP, went to Costambar, and stopped off in a bar to have a cold one. a group of guys at the table next to him spoke disparagingly of all the n***gers who started coming to Blackbeards, contaminating ?their?neighborhood. one of the antagonists realised that he was within earshot, and went over to his table , saying..?sorry, i did not realise you were there, and i did not mean you, yourself?. this was related to me by a close friend from Newark, who has sworn never to return. so, as i said, you can relate glorious tales of the joys of the colored man in Costambar. i hear different.

Probably just my imagination, but I've read a few of your posts, and you seem to a have a chip on your shoulder, mad at the world type attitude. You sure you're not RacerX?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Bob Saunders waxes quizzical with this one

Probably just my imagination, but I've read a few of your posts, and you seem to a have a chip on your shoulder, mad at the world type attitude. You sure you're not RacerX?

well, Bob, as Ed Koch used to say, it is a matter of whose ox is being gored. i resent people referring to myself, and people like me, as n....ers. if you consider that as having a chip on one?s shoulder, then roll right along. you find Costambar to be one nice , happy family, then , more power to you. i just might be Racerx.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
by the way, Bob, i did not pen this. it was another guy with a chip on his shoulder.

I HAVE JUST ATTENDED A MEETING TO DISCUSS THE GOOD AND BAD SIDES OF LIVING IN COSTAMBAR...AND I WAS DISGUSTED BY THE ACTION...REACTIONS AND COMMENTS OF SOME OF THOSE THAT ATTENDED.
FIRSTLY...THERE WAS NO TRANSLATION FOR NON-ENGLISH SPEAKERS WHO HAD LITTLE OR NO SPANISH, AND ALTHOUGH IT WAS EVENTUALLY TRANSLATED INTO ROUGH SPANISH...SOME PEOPLE LEFT DUE TO NOT FULLY UNDERSTANDING WHAT WAS BEING SAID.
THE ONE COMMENT THAT OFFENDED ME WAS WHEN A LADY VOICED HER DISLIKE OF,"THESE PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH A PRIVATE PROJECT".
FIRSTLY, SHE DIDN'T HAVE THE DECENCY TO CALL THEM DOMINICAN PEOPLE...
SECONDLY, THIS IS NOT A PRIVATE PROJECT THAT DOES NOT ALLOW THEM ACCESS...
AND THIRDLY, I FEEL THAT THIS REMARK BORDERS ON RACISM....
IF MY PARTNER, WHO IS DOMINICAN...AND A NATIVE OF THIS ISLAND, WALKS THROUGH COSTAMBAR WITH HER CHILDREN...ARE THEY THEN CLASSED AS "THESE PEOPLE"....
THE DIVISIONS WITHIN THIS COMMUNITY ARE OF OUR OWN MAKING, AND UNTIL WE RECOGNISE THIS FACT..ALL IS LOST.....
"THESE PEOPLE"...I PREFER TO CALL THEM MY DOMINICAN FRIENDS!!!!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe there was a misinterpretation , if noone asked her to explain we will never know what she actually meant....probably refering to people that dont live in the complex

Status
Not open for further replies.