Re-discover Costambar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueeng3

May 5, 2008
Ok To all on this thread !!!!
the above post by gorgon is from the apc costambar forum, if i could copy and paste i would also put my post up from this forum,( go gorgon please the name is sue lol) i can tell you all i was also at this meeting and walked out not long after the man who put the above post on. every thing on the post is true plus more, thats not to say Costambar is a bad place to be !!!not at all, it has a lot of good people but also some not so good.
After reading all the posts on this thread I can pick out parts from all and agree, then pick out parts and disagree!! so what does this mean? that Costambar is pretty much like any other place in the world mixed.
i like to think of myself as not a raceist my husband and i ( now you know we are brits lol ) have a Dominican living with us, if i dont like a person race colour does not matter i just dont like them !!!!!!!!!!! simple as.
Do I like Costambar yes i live here, would i move here again given the chance over again?? prob not only reason the power
Sue

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
thanks for the addendum to my posting, sue. us malcontents, with chips on our shoulders, like to know that, at the very least, there are people out there who can substantiate the veracity of the remarks we make. we would not want to appear to be both mad at the world, and fictitious, at the same time. not a good cocktail.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
jrhartley equivocates

maybe there was a misinterpretation , if noone asked her to explain we will never know what she actually meant....probably refering to people that dont live in the complex

which means?

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Well it seems everybody has an opinion about Costambar. In fact watching this thread is like sitting in a Costambar watering-hole listening to the locals pontificating.

There's the malcontents who find something to complain about every day.

There's the staunch supporters who recognise the short-comings of the town, but happily put up with them because the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

There's the experts ....... in perceived wisdom - "my pal said this, his friend told him that happened".

They're all welcome in Costambar - we're very inclusive ....... just tune-up your bullcrap filter before you visit ;-)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ffritz, i hope that i do not have much more to say about this subject, because i sometimes go off into paroxysms of rage over certain issues, and i do not want to be banned. the most powerful memory i have in my life, which will live with me to the grave, is of my late mother breaking down into uncontrollable tears when she was told by the management of a movie theater in Miami that we were not welcome, because of our color. my perception of the world has been indelibly informed by that event. the way i see things goes something like this. Dominicans, in the main, are among the noisiest people i have ever encountered. they throw garbage everywhere, and they relieve themselves in public, without a care for onlookers. but, guess what, ffritz? IT IS THEIR COUNTRY. their forebears fought for independence from outsiders in the mid 19th centuty. non Dominicans who find themselves uncomfortable with these idiosyncracies have one formidable option...GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. it is unacceptable, at least to me, for some foreigner to decide, or attempt to decide, where ?these people ?can, and cannot, go, in their own country. they have no other place to go in which they can be at ease. i have been to Costambar, on occasion, such as to the beach on a Sunday. to watch women dragging little children in the noonday sun, for the better part of a mile, because some property management officials decide that the buses should park a mile away just does not sit well with me.i guess that is what comes from being raised a ?colonial subject?, living at the Queen?s Pleasure. some things just make some of us mad.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
When I was a kid back in the (Y)UK we used to go for days out at the seaside. Sometimes we'd sit in traffic for what seemed like hours - no A/C back in those days. Then we'd finally get there only to find that the only place to park was a long way from the beach, so we'd lug all our picnic stuff, toys & other essentials down to the beach. We didn't complain - it was all part of the adventure.

Nowadays I sometimes sit watching the Dominicans going to & from the beach here in Costambar. They are generally happy, laughing, full of high spirits. They're not complaining. That's part of the Dominican psyche, they are some of the most tolerant people I've met, very fatalistic.

Costambar is a small residential community with narrow roads. Factor in large buses, families wandering all over the road, animals roaming free & drunk drivers & what do you foresee happening? Possible carnage one day?

It's not a perfect world, but all things considered I believe that not allowing buses into Costambar is best for all concerned. Also, many of the Sunday visitors come from the local barrios on foot not by bus, so maybe it behoves us to make Costambar safe for them too.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, there are bigots & xenophobes in Costambar, & as you say, if you don't like it go elsewhere.

The whole intention of this thread was for people to maybe experience Costambar again or for the first time. Give us a chance with an open mind. The human mind is like a parachute - it works best when it's open!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ffritz, i may be labelled an angry man, and people are entitled to that opinion. just try to remember that Edgar Allan Poe did not invent horror....horror invented him.

web

Nov 5, 2005
que??????????????

Blackbeard?s isn?t Costambar? I know mangers, employees etc that work at Blackbeard?s. I frequent Blackbeards now and when I was living in Costambar. (Good wings and other menu items) Certainly you are not naive enough to think that because Blackbeard?s is a hotel that caters to Men seeking female companionship that it is not moral. You are not in Kansas anymore. (but ?toto? is here)

Now I can better understand your posts.
My advice is to forget everything you feel is moral from wherever you came from, open your mind, walk a few miles in the shoes of some Dominican folks.

Ya

Blackbeard?s is certainly Costambar and a good representation of a well run establishment in the Republica Dominicana.

Blackbeards ISN'T Costambar .....

Most people in the town are moral, upstanding citizens.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
web states

Now I can better understand your posts.
My advice is to forget everything you feel is moral from wherever you came from, open your mind, walk a few miles in the shoes of some Dominican folks.

i have this problem with people who use a person?s private sexual practices as a measuring stick of his or her morality. immorality to me is the millionaire guy who has not given his Dominican housekeeper a raise in 10 years. yes, still paying the pittance he was at the turn of the millenium. i guess , in certain circles, he is revered as a savvy and cunning protector of his net worth. to me, that is immorality. then again, i am just an angry malcontent, with a chip on my shoulder...what do i know?

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Don't you just love misunderstandings!

All I meant was, just because we have a brothel in town don't let that put you off coming here. As has been said it is a well-run establishment & you won't be accosted by working girls at every street corner. In fact you barely know it's here.

Costambar is family friendly & single-guy friendly too.

Rather cosmopolitan don't you think!

P.S.
I've just spent an hour being berated about this at The Restaurant lol

Last edited:

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
We don't have any discos, but Saturday nights there's late night karaoke at Bananas & Sunday evenings there are a couple of lively beach bars. Although at this time of year it's pretty quiet everywhere.

Well actually there is as much dancing as singing on Saturdays at Bananas so not just about Kraoke

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gorgon, i think you take it the wrong way. if i called a black dude an a**hole it would be not because he is black but because he is an a**hole. similarily, i call our dominican visitors in costambar nasty and lousy because they are nasty and lousy and not because they are dominican.
no, i was not a woman talking about "those people" at APC meeting, i do not go to APC meetings as they are full of a**holes who always want something and demand something without contributing to the community by paying costambar fees.
so, dude, loosen up a bit. it is not about the race or colour, it is about behaviour and manners.

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
Relieve themselves in public?

Wow, I don't know where the heck I've been. I have never seen that.
I'm Dominican -born, Michigan-raised. I often come to visit my family here on the North Coast, where they have been for three generations. True, I've never been to Costambar, but I've stayed in Sosua, some relatives own property in the outskirsts of Puerto Plata, but I've never seen people relieving themselves just anywhere.
Would this have to do with the person's social and economic level? I've seen that in Miami Beach, where the homeless' urine (and God-knows what other) smell is so piercing that it litterally makes you ill.
As for the lady referring to Dominicans as "those people" if that is true, she can "damn well get a taxi and make her way to the airport and get the hell out of here. This island was here before she came, and it will be after she leaves.
I've been staying at Infiniti Blu in Sosua. I've found the workers are courteous, the residents from all over the world, including The Dominican Republic, friendly and inclusive, and thank God I've never seen anyone relieve themselves anywhere but (I suspect) in their own bathrooms.
As much as tourism has brought prosperity to this island, my family has commented that the type of tourist that has unfortunately come to the Puerto Plata area has also brought a level of education (not the one attained in books) but the one with the Dominican meaning of "buena educacion," next to zero.
Is there an association Director or manager in Costambar, and does he or she permit anyone to talk that way at meetings? I mean, how about the Sindica in Puerto Plata, is she aware of what's going on in Costambar?

ffritz, i hope that i do not have much more to say about this subject, because i sometimes go off into paroxysms of rage over certain issues, and i do not want to be banned. the most powerful memory i have in my life, which will live with me to the grave, is of my late mother breaking down into uncontrollable tears when she was told by the management of a movie theater in Miami that we were not welcome, because of our color. my perception of the world has been indelibly informed by that event. the way i see things goes something like this. Dominicans, in the main, are among the noisiest people i have ever encountered. they throw garbage everywhere, and they relieve themselves in public, without a care for onlookers. but, guess what, ffritz? IT IS THEIR COUNTRY. their forebears fought for independence from outsiders in the mid 19th centuty. non Dominicans who find themselves uncomfortable with these idiosyncracies have one formidable option...GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. it is unacceptable, at least to me, for some foreigner to decide, or attempt to decide, where ?these people ?can, and cannot, go, in their own country. they have no other place to go in which they can be at ease. i have been to Costambar, on occasion, such as to the beach on a Sunday. to watch women dragging little children in the noonday sun, for the better part of a mile, because some property management officials decide that the buses should park a mile away just does not sit well with me.i guess that is what comes from being raised a ?colonial subject?, living at the Queen?s Pleasure. some things just make some of us mad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP has a sindico, not a sindica. and i am sure he has far more pressing things on his mind than what is said on APC meetings in costambar. this is not michigan, gal.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
dv8 reminds

so, dude, loosen up a bit. it is not about the race or colour, it is about behaviour and manners.

thanks for the heads up. next time i hear a group of guys here talking about the homeboy n...gers, i will remember you exhortation that it is not about the color. besides, i must confess that ,in my opinion at least, your statement ?this is not Michigan, gal?, is not i the best of taste.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Right let's try to get back on track & away from "provocative" subjects.

Here's a pop-quiz for you all :-
Apart from property rentals, how many businesses operate out of Costambar? We won't count people day-trading on the markets over the internet etc. Businesses that trade with the general public & other businesses.

The answer may surprise you!

Status
Not open for further replies.