Really ****ty DR day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
When my first Dominican wife divorced me, I got on a plane to the D.R. and picked another one, there are soooo many to choose from.

Going on 20 years with the second Dominican one.

that is so true ...that's why i will never get married again.... i don't care if its jlo...once is enough for me...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Marriage is one of the costliest decisions a man can make. Especially in the U.S. The deck is stacked against the man when things go south. It takes no talent or skill to get married. Take care of your kids and stay single.

Southern you are 100 % correct ... i did it once and lost alot ... but god was good and put me on the path to RD ...now I am in Heaven

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
l like your optimism! I've been divorced since 2000 and been pressured by a couple of women to take a stroll up the aisle. I'm happy in my current state and a piece of paper is no guarantee a marriage will last. I enjoyed the 26 years I was married but the older I get, the less interested I am in marriage. 

It's a crap shoot for people getting married today. Sadly, most people refuse to comprise on many issues. Marriage is not a straight highway its a roller coster many times with peaks and valleys. If people enjoy living together they need to look at the big picture and accept another person with their faults. I have been married 44 years and it has not all been cake and cookies however at my age of 66 I am very happy to have someone to share my life with. Being older and alone is not much fun and can be a very lonely existance for many. That's just me. I'm that loyal guy, for better or worse. Your experience I'm sure is very different.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The locals know the system, are favored within the system and will drop all their trump cards at once if presented with an opportunity to do so. Many foreigners are rightfully leery of the judicial system in this country. Most do not seek out and establish a relationship with an attorney when they have no need for one thus when they find themselves in need of a lawyer quickly and perhaps with no one on the outside to help them out, it can be a little difficult to reach out in the spur of the moment.

Based on what the OP has just disclosed, the gloves are off and this is not going to be an amicable parting of the ways. The OP now needs representation with significant clout or this matter is going to quickly get transferred away from the local fiscal to the regional court system and the grief and costs will only increase.

Stay and fight tooth and nail, or get out while he still has a passport. Tough situation, tough call.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's a crap shoot for people getting married today.

agreed. my parents also have 44 years of marriage (anniversary in december). maybe it's the respect thing. these days there isn't much of it but to me that's the key to maintain good relationship.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In days long gone, "until death do you part" and " I do" were not platitudes uttered just to get on with the party.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Marriage is one of the costliest decisions a man can make. Especially in the U.S. The deck is stacked against the man when things go south. It takes no talent or skill to get married. Take care of your kids and stay single.

I have discussed different marriage "cultures" with my US colleagues and it seem to differ quite a lot compared to my home country. In US it seems less accepted in general to ask/get a prenuptial in place. A prenuptial is a given in my opinion to protect both parties.

My US colleagues basically have the opinion that you would struggle to get married in US if you ask the other party for a prenuptial. I responded and told them - well then I would never get married in US then. It is as simple as that :).

I respect that the feeling for a prenuptial or not in US could vary a lot but I could definitely sense the difference between countries.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It's a crap shoot for people getting married today. Sadly, most people refuse to comprise on many issues. Marriage is not a straight highway its a roller coster many times with peaks and valleys. If people enjoy living together they need to look at the big picture and accept another person with their faults. I have been married 44 years and it has not all been cake and cookies however at my age of 66 I am very happy to have someone to share my life with. Being older and alone is not much fun and can be a very lonely existance for many. That's just me. I'm that loyal guy, for better or worse. Your experience I'm sure is very different.

Kudos to you for your long marriage. Obviously you and your wife have the chemistry, endurance, and commitment to keep it together for the long haul. Something that's getting rarer in today's world. My parents kept it together for 66 years until my father died two years ago. I had what I thought was a rock solid marriage for 26 years and met her six years before we married. I spent one third of my life with her but when the crunch came, she chose to leave. Painful but true which is why I'm very guarded about new relationships. I've also become very independent, a lot less compromising, and tossed aside a lot of the material things I used to have when I was married. Went from the large home with three car garage to a small house by a lake with 2 bedrooms that I'm quite happy in. Less is definitely more if your single. My one regret is not having children. We were both professionals and decided against it. Maybe it's a good thing because I'm basically a child at heart. It's a wise person that knows their limitations. Honestly, I can say I'm not lonely. Between family, friends, and a few very close female friends, I'm never at a loss for company. In fact there are days when I'm peopled out and escape to the inner peace of my lake house or sneak off in my kayak or mountain bike for some solitude. It's a big world with lots of people in it. There is no need to be lonely.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Southern you are 100 % correct ... i did it once and lost alot ... but god was good and put me on the path to RD ...now I am in Heaven

Please be aware that I'm saying this tongue in cheek but the Gods were really good to me. Warned her to stay out of court but she was hell bent on doing it. The judge looked at our joint finances and debt over the years and decided I had paid the lions share of the operating expenses. That allowed her to make some good investments. The judge decreed she had to pay me a large chunk of change because of that. Honestly it was something I didn't want but knew would happen if we went to court. I had a shark for a lawyer. Hers was a tuna who worked out of the basement of his house. I made it easy for her. Instead of cash, I asked her to roll over the cash equivalent of her RRSP's to me. We didn't get hit with taxes by doing that. Probably why it took her 13 years to become my friend. We didn't have children so that made the divorce a little easier, if divorces are ever easier. And, like you, it's the reason I spend my winters in the DR. Onward and upward Amigo!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
while i generally do not disagree with the sentiment that the marriage is not beneficial to a man in the case of the OP it's a little bit too late :)

we can only hope he manages to get out of this with his head held high and his wallet not ripped to shreds. i hope he finds peace and happiness after the divorce, whether he takes the route of single life or that of another marriage.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Almost 25 years for me. Has it been always easy and blissful, no. It is give and take. With the OP it could be she was possibly already planning to do this (leave) prior to the argument. Maybe the argument was just a excuse for something she was planning to do anyway. Who knows...but remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Besides personal stories of failed marriages, philosophies of marriage, and the pros and cons of such, especially financially, is there not one caring soul on this forum that is willing to assist this man in his time of need? The man is behind bars. Behind bars, imprisoned and detained in a Dominican prison. Is nobody willing to help him? I guess all men are not created equal.
By the way, if he's currently detained, who's going to oversee moving day tomorrow?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Besides personal stories of failed marriages, philosophies of marriage, and the pros and cons of such, especially financially, is there not one caring soul on this forum that is willing to assist this man in his time of need? The man is behind bars. Behind bars, imprisoned and detained in a Dominican prison. Is nobody willing to help him? I guess all men are not created equal.
By the way, if he's currently detained, who's going to oversee moving day tomorrow?

Where did you read or how do you know he is in jail? It's the first I heard of it.

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
Come to Houston I have a single mother that's seeking love!

Best way to get over some one is to get under someone else lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

Where is he being detained? He did not mention where he was being detained in his post. While I am sure many of us feel his plight, something seems a bit off on the story. Hopefully the OP will post additional information as I am sure if someone here can help they will. Right now the story goes from his wife leaving him after a disagreement to now being detained. Maybe we do not know the whole story...

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Post #37, by the OP himself. You don't have to like what I say or type, but that does not mean that I am wrong.
Thank you for that. I missed post # 37. I don't always read every single post in all threads.
I did not mean to insult you and I didn't say you were wrong. I really didn't read that part about him being in jail.. I also don't think I ever indicated whether I like or dislike you or what you write.
I am sorry to hear that he is in jail. I hope he gets things worked out soon. I am in no position to help him except to give him moral support on DR1. Are you able to assist him in any way?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.