recommendations for quality restaurant

KITTU

May 13, 2015
I'm going to SD for a few days and need recommendations for chinese restaurants that preferably serve dim sum for breakfast, wor wonton or similar for lunch, szechuan for dinner.

There is a nice one in China town in santo domingo Black paint exterior. Sorry cannot remember the name. Authentic chinese food. From outside its shabby but inside is decent and good food. Don't expect great service...But worth the money and it's not expensive.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
This place is no better that Chef Pepper, which for me is less than mediocre at best.

well at this point I would guess you need to bring your food and Chef with you. Or better yet stay in NYC.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sadly you people have become conditioned to poor restaurant quality. When I return to NY after visiting its like my taste buds wake up again after the mediocre fare w such a lack of quality and variety.

Appreciating quality and variety is a special attribute. An attribute that does not come cheaply in certain parts of the world. Just wondering, what would you consider a reasonable total to be for a dinner for two? Of course, by your standards of quality and variety. With a better understanding of this, others may be able to point you in the direction of the fine dining experience you have become accustomed to.

Apr 10, 2014
I live in NYC. Are those places really good? Or is the food uneven, poor quality, unseasoned. I guess Im spoiled here. I can go outside my building and eat in 10 restaurants that are better than the best restaurants in Santo Domingo. Heck even the Dominican restaurants are better here. i.e Malecon Restaurant.
As a NYer, I have enjoyed eating at many restaurants in Santo Domingo but comparing them to Manhattan restaurants is the proverbial comparing apples to oranges

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Appreciating quality and variety is a special attribute. An attribute that does not come cheaply in certain parts of the world. Just wondering, what would you consider a reasonable total to be for a dinner for two? Of course, by your standards of quality and variety. With a better understanding of this, others may be able to point you in the direction of the fine dining experience you have become accustomed to.

I understand that, but take a little pride in what you are doing. Don't make everything a "lets rip people off" scenario.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sophia, El Cappuccinos and Davy Crocketts to name a few. Like I said these are good but do not compare to Manhattan restaurants. Also they do not compare to the money that I drop at Manhattan restaurants. Apple's and oranges.

Sully's is also good. There are plenty of good, very good restaurants in Santo Domingo D.N.. Just as many good restaurants as there are Pico Pollos. I even like Mustard's when I am in the mood for a good hamburger.

This thread should be about the best of la rep dom, NOT the best of the world............SMH

apples and oranges, plain and simple

All a matter of taste. I have read where some enjoy the food at Villars Hnos whereas I just as soon get a Big Mac then go there. Matter of taste ......................

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I understand that, but take a little pride in what you are doing. Don't make everything a "lets rip people off" scenario.

Which restaurants in Santo Domingo do you believe are "ripping people off"? Again I ask, what type of experience are you equating it to? Unfortunately no, I don't believe you will find a Michelin rated restaurant in Santo Domingo as of now, but in reality, visiting the RD for the climate you enjoy, I highly doubt you are packing along a wardrobe that befits a five star dining experience. Outside of Santo Domingo, you may be interested in Passion By Martin Berasategui at Paradisus Punta Cana. This seems to be befitting of a more upscale clientele. Dress accordingly.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
"All a matter of taste. I have read where some enjoy the food at Villars Hnos whereas I just as soon get a Big Mac then go there. Matter of taste ......................" Took my sister and niece there twice and were very disappointed both in the quality of the food and the service. During both visits, items we ordered (weren't available although on the menu) were replaced with supposedly comparable substitutes: gandules for habichuelas rojas, pollo frito for pollo guisado etc. The waiter assumed it'd be okay since he didn't ask us first. Second and last time that I eat there.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Took my sister and niece there twice and were very disappointed both in the quality of the food and the service. During both visits, items we ordered (weren't available although on the menu) were replaced with supposedly comparable substitutes: gandules for habichuelas rojas, pollo frito for pollo guisado etc. The waiter assumed it'd be okay since he didn't ask us first. Second and last time that I eat there.

I never understood what all the hoop-la is about with Villar Hnos. At the very, very best their food is mediocre. I can think of quite a few comedors where the food is much better. The average plato del dia is better tasting than most of the meals at Villar Hnos.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Lulu's Tasting Restaurant in the Colonial Zone is fantastic Corner of Padre Billini and Merino.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
My sister ventured there on her own and liked it. Didn't say the same about Cuello Blanco on 19 de marzo.

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
"All a matter of taste. I have read where some enjoy the food at Villars Hnos whereas I just as soon get a Big Mac then go there. Matter of taste ......................" Took my sister and niece there twice and were very disappointed both in the quality of the food and the service. During both visits, items we ordered (weren't available although on the menu) were replaced with supposedly comparable substitutes: gandules for habichuelas rojas, pollo frito for pollo guisado etc. The waiter assumed it'd be okay since he didn't ask us first. Second and last time that I eat there.

I would have walked out. Not asking a customer if a substitute is acceptable is unacceptable behavior.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bella Cristal on Roberto Pastoriza (near av. churchill)

El Chino de Marisco on av Sarasota, between Bella Vista mall and Almacenes Unidos. The latter I have never tried because I don’t like mariscos but heard it’s very much appreciated by the Chinese population in DR. 

Bella Cristal has moved. They are now at Av. Rómulo Betancourt 351A in Bella Vista. Halfway between Av. Defillo and Av. Winston Churchill.

I like their spicy and sour soup. Whenever my allergies pick up (especially in the days of the Sahara dust) I send my son with a pot to pick up six servings of soup. In my house I explain it is medicine...

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Head down to Chinatown and go checking out the different restaurants. Nothing fancy... but I remember visiting Chinatown in San Francisco, California and the same informality and relaxed set ups were there, too.

Would say in Chinatown restaurants the high volume, especially on weekends, ensures the dishes are fresh. They get their vegetables green enough. Dishes are large. My favorite is the big robalo fish steamed with leek.

Delicias Campestres, My Gourmet, Dragon House (on a second floor)... Will have to check out Escocia as recommended.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Bella Cristal has moved. They are now at Av. Rómulo Betancourt 351A in Bella Vista. Halfway between Av. Defillo and Av. Winston Churchill.

I like their spicy and sour soup. Whenever my allergies pick up (especially in the days of the Sahara dust) I send my son with a pot to pick up six servings of soup. In my house I explain it is medicine...

I saw the Bella Cristal restaurant on Romula Betancourt, but thought it was a second place they opened. I hope it goes well for them there, none of the restaurants in that spot have ever worked, and they were an icon on Roberto Pastoriza.

I like their egg rolls and they have a plate that resembles what I’d order in holland: Foe Yong Hai, an egg dish.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I never understood what all the hoop-la is about with Villar Hnos. At the very, very best their food is mediocre. I can think of quite a few comedors where the food is much better. The average plato del dia is better tasting than most of the meals at Villar Hnos.

True the food is fair. I think they try to do too much. However the coffee is excellent. Best cup of coffee in the country IMO. Also the place is clean. Bathrooms clean. This is another huge problem in DR. HYGENE. It goes back to taking a little pride.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
well at this point I would guess you need to bring your food and Chef with you. Or better yet stay in NYC.

Im doing Air BNB next time, I plan to cook myself a bit more. The availability of decent, fresh and good ingredients does exist!

Last edited: