Residencia definitiva - renewal process

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
CORRECTION on the following post......

I left out that it REFERS to your passport expiration date.

Sorry about that .... :cry:

Another little tidbit about getting the Residencia Definitiva (RD-1),
... it may be required that it be valid for at least 18 more months according to the paper they gave me.

(But note made that they are flexible depending on country of origin)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What if the bank account is joint account, will that work ?

Must the bank balance be above 100,000 pesos for the entire 6 months? That is how I read your statement that it must not go below that amount over the 6 month period.

I´m going to ask the bank to address the letter to say, I, with cedula #xxxxxxxxxx have that amount.

The letter actually states :

Carta de Banco donde indique tiene un balance en los ultimos seis meses de mas de CIEN MIL PESOS (RD$100,000.00).

They might reject you for 100,000.00 instead of having 100,000.01 pesos or more.
(Don´t laugh, look at the property requirement)

2rfv482.jpg

They photo copied it lopsided, not me.... lol

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
UPDATE

I sent in the letter to request "Residencia Definitiva" on March 26th 2018.

One day short of two months Immigracion called and said the authorization letter had arrived (May 25th 2018).

Funny thing is, I was there in the morning asking about it and they had not received it.
It must have came in the day's dispatch from Santo Domingo.
They called me in the afternoon.

I will go back to Immigracion in Santiago on Monday to pick it up.
I am assuming it was approved, since they told me two months ago that I qualified.

Tomorrow marks exactly 45 days before expiration of my current residency card.
We are allowed to file for renewal 45 days in advance of expiration.

How's that for perfect timing?

Note: The request was filed at the Santiago office of Immigracion, I did not have to go to Santo Domingo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I submitted mine yesterday, with just under a month to go before expiry. Let's see how long they take to respond.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I went to migracion in Santiago this morning to check if I was eligible.
Must have minimum of 10 years with "Residencia Permanente (RP-1)".

I qualified so I turned in my letter at the Santiago office.
Was told to check back in a month.
(I started this 90 days before expiration to be safe)

Three (3) things to note about proving solvency, you only need one of the following:

(A)
Letter from bank - must have a minimum of $100,000 pesos for the last 6 months.

(B)
Car Tittle - Must be a 2005 or newer.
(No puede tener oposición ni ser exonerada)

(C)
Property Tittle - MUST BE ONLY IN YOUR NAME.
(I know, kinda crazy especially if you're married)

That is whats in the letter they gave me, date on car could be outdated.

NOTE: Santiago Migracion has moved since 4 years ago.
They are located behind the old building, across the street.

If it's the same as the citizenship applic
Joint ownership works but needs the second signature

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Citizenship says the same - but
as usual, there are ways they get around problems.

I asked this question for my application

And that was the answer - another signature req'd

The rules read the same --- 100,000 pesos, car, property, etc

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
CORRECTION on the following post......

I left out that it REFERS to your passport expiration date.

Sorry about that .... :cry:

Does anyone have any idea how strict they are likely to be on this 18 month still to run on the passport? The timing on this is all wrong for me as to how it fits with a trip back to England etc. and trying to replace my passport ahead of time to comply with this etc. I will have about a year still to run when I need to renew my residency. I realized you cannot buy a return ticket and renew the passport while you are there because you have to register your passport number when booking and it would be different on my return. So many things to take into account....

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I'm sorry if anyone has already answered this, but I couldn't see it. Is there maximum time that you can deposit the request letter ahead of the 45 days for the residency renewal? I'm going to be traveling in the middle of all of this and it would be good to get the letter in well ahead of time if it can take two months to get a reply.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
45 days in advance is my understanding.

I usually complete the paperwork w/ my lawyer in advance and she deposits when the time line arrives.

Doing exactly this now for my wife.
Paperwork done in April, filing was done June 3.
Advance work is letter, photos, passport copies , etc

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm sorry if anyone has already answered this, but I couldn't see it. Is there maximum time that you can deposit the request letter ahead of the 45 days for the residency renewal? I'm going to be traveling in the middle of all of this and it would be good to get the letter in well ahead of time if it can take two months to get a reply.

I sent in my letter for permission of getting the Residencia Definitiva 2 months before the 45 days (3 1/2 months before expiration of residencia). Got my approval 45 days before expiration.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Linda... the 45 days is for regular residency -- Definitiva might be different
Sorry to confuse the two

45 days also for Residencia Definitiva.

She was asking about how long before expiraration can she request the approval for Residencia Definitiva.

I applied for permission 3 1/2 months prior.

It takes about 2 months to get approval letter back, so start early.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
3 1/2 months -- cannot submit that early for regular renewal -- says my lawyer

45 days prior to expiry is what she does

No starting earlier than 45 in my regular case

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thank you, all, you didn't confuse me, William. Yes, the letter asking for approval to change from permanent to definativa has to be deposited in good time to get the permission back to apply online for the residency renewal (whatever type) 45 days in advance of its expiry.

I wasn't sure if there was a time condition on the letter, but this has answered my question, thanks. I will deposit it two months in advance of the 45 days, hoping that by then they will still accept it in Puerto Plata. I'm looking at around mid-August, so I will keep you all posted, also on the passport expiration issue, which could be a stumbling block, but hoping that this is another obstacle we can get round :)

Does anyone know if the online application can be started and saved ahead of time, or does it all have to be done in one hit at the 45 days? I know a friend had some problems with this but I wondered if anyone had tried lately.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I was asked a while back to give an update when I finally applied for my residencia definitiva, so here it is.

First off, to qualify for the definitiva you have to have had your residencia permanente for at least 10 years. Secondly, you have to request the change of category, it doesn't happen automatically. I had to write up a letter for the Director General de Migración asking for a change of migratory category from permanente to definitiva and I was lucky enough that the Punta Cana office was willing to send it to Santo Domingo so I didn't have to do the trip. While my request was being processed, instructions apparently came through that satellite office could no longer do this so I would guess people now need to deposit the letter in Santo Domingo and pick up the confirmation a few weeks later. Took a while for mine to come back so by the time it did, I was already expired (but at least it saved me 2 extra trips to SD).

After creating an account, I uploaded the following documents to their system and 2 days letter got a message back saying I could deposit the originals at the Punta Cana office:

1) 3 copies of my passport picture page
2) Original + 3 copies of my residency card
3) 3 copies of my cedula
4) Original + 2 copies of the confirmation letter from the Director de Migración
5) 3 copies of my car matricula (this is the proof of solvency, other options are accepted such as bank statement, property title, guarantor, etc)
6) Pictures front and right side
7) Certificación de no antecedentes penales - got this off the JCE website, paid online, piece of cake

No medical and no insurance in case of deportation so at least it does get a bit simpler the longer you're here.

Yesterday I went to deposit the documents and everything was in order but ended up withdrawing the documents to go do it in Santo Domingo after all. Normal process is you upload, a few days later you can deposit, 3-4 business days later you get the bill that you go pay at the office in cash then about 8 days later you have to go to Santo Domingo on the stipulated date and time to get picture and prints done and withdraw your card. I was not going to be able to go to Santo Domingo by then due to my job (if you don't go, they charge you a penalty and reprogram you) so the assistant told me that since I already had the go-ahead to deposit, I could simply take the paperwork to Santo Domingo and get all that done (deposit, pay and get card) in one day with the 1,000 pesos VIP payment. So I'll be heading down to the wonderful capital in a few days to hopefully complete the process then I'll renew my cedula when I'm back in Punta Cana and driver's licence in January when it expires. At least then I'll be good for a few years...

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I've waded through all these posts and cannot find the link for the online application form. I've created an account here: https://portal.servicios.pgr.gob.do/ but still can't see anything about residency renewal. Help, please! Am I in the wrong place?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
45 days in advance is my understanding.

I usually complete the paperwork w/ my lawyer in advance and she deposits when the time line arrives.

Doing exactly this now for my wife.
Paperwork done in April, filing was done June 3.
Advance work is letter, photos, passport copies , etc

Which lawyer do you use & from where and appx cost William