Residency renewal online - has anyone tried?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
After reading this thread, *I have come to the same conclusion. *Where is the benefit?*

The only possible advantage I can see is if you get confirmation your paperwork has been approved prior to coming to DGM.

I am doing the renewal now and not off to a great start. I am using the same law firm I have used in the past but this time let's just say so far not a happy camper. I questioned the firm in the beginning if I needed a letter from the bank. Now the day before we go to DGM I get an email I need a bank letter.... Never any mention of insurance as an alternative.

Off to DGM we go. I wasted the entire day with zero, ziltch results. Something to do with "lost in the system". We all know what that means.

Also finally realize I never actually come in contact with a bon a fide lawyer but a law student who does the running around. This renewal was the first time I was asked to email documents prior to DGM day. After reading this thread I am beginning to think the application was done online because in the past I never handed over the documents until the actual day of going to DGM.

So after wasting the entire day it dawns on me my physical body is only needed to show up for the medical exam and to show up to sign the final documents prior to receiving the cedula and residence card.

This would be a nice side hustle for an expat who is fluent in Spanish, especially those on the north coast. Line up a couple of expats, do the online application, two trips to the capital with clients and make a nice small piece of change.

The insurance? Can anyone confirm if the $115 fee is just for a one year premium only?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm not clear...is the online application a requirement or just an option?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I have read so far, the on line renewal is an option that buys you little.*

It would make no sense if the insurance was just for one year, but rather instead for the entire period of your renewed residency.*I do realize this is the DR and it may make no sense.*

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............It would make no sense if the insurance was just for one year, but rather instead for the entire period of your renewed residency.*I do realize this is the DR and it may make no sense.*

That is what I am thinking also but aren't temporary residence renewals only for a year? I have the flyer somewhere around here and will dig it up today and post.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm going to have to seriously consider what we want to do when our residency comes up for renewal in 2017. I am pretty much completely disheartened by every process here that involves the Govt., the ongoing attempts by locals to "gringo tax me into poverty" even though I have been transacting with some of these people for over two years, and the general levels of stress and frustration that comes with just about everything else, from good domestic employees, to no guarantees on workmanship or product functionality/longevity.

Eg., I purchase the same preventive medications from the same pharmacy, usually from the same clerk every two months. This month it was time to do so again. Same medication, same quantity as always but this time the price was twice what it was last time. When I asked why, after a group huddle, it was explained to me that the clerk was sorry but she charged me for the suppository version of the drug instead of the tablet form sitting on the counter in front of us. I just rolled my eyes and asked her to correct it. I know that this medication doesn't come in a suppository form but no need to tell them that.

I believe its important to observe the laws when one comes to live in a country. One must be understanding and tolerant of the cultural differences and one should do their best to fit in. However, when every process seems to be tailored to be as hard and as inconvenient and expensive as possible, when you can't get a straight forward answer from those that should know, or from the Govt websites or from a lawyer, maybe its time to consider whether these palm tress are really the palm tress I want to be looking at for much longer. I hate having to go to SD to renew my residency and there is no reason why I should have to do so as frequently as the Govt insists. It should be a simple matter to submit bank account statements showing I have some money, utility bills to show that I really live here, a buena conduta certificate show that I have not been arrested and that should be it for at least 5 years if not longer. But, not my country, not my process, but I do have the choice whether I need to continue accepting it.

I need to renew my cedula early in the new year. Residency is still valid. How hard it is to get a new cedula will go along way to helping me choose whether I am willing to stay or if we should bail and go elsewhere. I'm sure the Govt will eventually get it right or at least make it easier but I am not sure I will live long enough to see that day. The confusion over insurance and online renewal applications is just further example of how poorly things can and usually work in the DR.

I have not been as successful being accepting of the practical reality as others have, or I thought I would be, much to my disappointment.*

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
The only possible advantage I can see is if you get confirmation your paperwork has been approved prior to coming to DGM.

I am doing the renewal now and not off to a great start. I am using the same law firm I have used in the past but this time let's just say so far not a happy camper. I questioned the firm in the beginning if I needed a letter from the bank. Now the day before we go to DGM I get an email I need a bank letter.... Never any mention of insurance as an alternative.

Off to DGM we go. I wasted the entire day with zero, ziltch results. Something to do with "lost in the system". We all know what that means.

Also finally realize I never actually come in contact with a bon a fide lawyer but a law student who does the running around. This renewal was the first time I was asked to email documents prior to DGM day. After reading this thread I am beginning to think the application was done online because in the past I never handed over the documents until the actual day of going to DGM.

So after wasting the entire day it dawns on me my physical body is only needed to show up for the medical exam and to show up to sign the final documents prior to receiving the cedula and residence card.

This would be a nice side hustle for an expat who is fluent in Spanish, especially those on the north coast. Line up a couple of expats, do the online application, two trips to the capital with clients and make a nice small piece of change.

The insurance? Can anyone confirm if the $115 fee is just for a one year premium only?

Yes, I've spoken to the company and it's $115.

Bigbird, are you renewing temporary residency? It sounds like a lot of trouble if so - I've renewed mine without a lawyer for the last 2 years and it's so much easier than when I used a lawyer!

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
I'm going to have to seriously consider what we want to do when our residency comes up for renewal in 2017. I am pretty much completely disheartened by every process here that involves the Govt., the ongoing attempts by locals to "gringo tax me into poverty" even though I have been transacting with some of these people for over two years, and the general levels of stress and frustration that comes with just about everything else, from good domestic employees, to no guarantees on workmanship or product functionality/longevity.

Eg., I purchase the same preventive medications from the same pharmacy, usually from the same clerk every two months. This month it was time to do so again. Same medication, same quantity as always but this time the price was twice what it was last time. When I asked why, after a group huddle, it was explained to me that the clerk was sorry but she charged me for the suppository version of the drug instead of the tablet form sitting on the counter in front of us. I just rolled my eyes and asked her to correct it. I know that this medication doesn't come in a suppository form but no need to tell them that.

I believe its important to observe the laws when one comes to live in a country. One must be understanding and tolerant of the cultural differences and one should do their best to fit in. However, when every process seems to be tailored to be as hard and as inconvenient and expensive as possible, when you can't get a straight forward answer from those that should know, or from the Govt websites or from a lawyer, maybe its time to consider whether these palm tress are really the palm tress I want to be looking at for much longer. I hate having to go to SD to renew my residency and there is no reason why I should have to do so as frequently as the Govt insists. It should be a simple matter to submit bank account statements showing I have some money, utility bills to show that I really live here, a buena conduta certificate show that I have not been arrested and that should be it for at least 5 years if not longer. But, not my country, not my process, but I do have the choice whether I need to continue accepting it.

I need to renew my cedula early in the new year. Residency is still valid. How hard it is to get a new cedula will go along way to helping me choose whether I am willing to stay or if we should bail and go elsewhere. I'm sure the Govt will eventually get it right or at least make it easier but I am not sure I will live long enough to see that day. The confusion over insurance and online renewal applications is just further example of how poorly things can and usually work in the DR.

I have not been as successful being accepting of the practical reality as others have, or I thought I would be, much to my disappointment.*

Also, my cedula renewal takes about 5 minutes. I do it the same day as I do my residency, as soon as I get my new carnet.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, I've spoken to the company and it's $115.

Bigbird, are you renewing temporary residency? It sounds like a lot of trouble if so - I've renewed mine without a lawyer for the last 2 years and it's so much easier than when I used a lawyer!

OK, $115 per year, si?

I got my residence under the old law and always used a lawyer as it was so simple in the past. Old law temporary residence for one year next step permanent residence. The lawyer in the past was always so simple but this time something was wrong in the system or as they say they couldn't bring it up. Those would be nice words to use when someone screwed up and doesn't want to take the blame.

The lawyer has been quite simple as I just pay a fee, show up, sign and be done with it.

Below is the handout sheet for those who may be interested. It is a little crumpled but I think you can make it out. There is a person at the front door of DGM handing them out and the mobile office is just across the street. Also on the backside of the flyer is the locations of the offices throughout la rep dom.

2larl4.jpg

qnnubb.jpg

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
When I called, they said they only have offices in Santiago, Higuey, La Romana and the capital.
They said that there was a way to do it via email by sending all the documents and depositing the money in their account. I don't feel so confident about doing that though.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I called, they said they only have offices in Santiago, Higuey, La Romana and the capital.
They said that there was a way to do it via email by sending all the documents and depositing the money in their account. I don't feel so confident about doing that though.

You, me and every other sane person.

Why should they make it easy for us?

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
I just called Dominicana de seguros and you can actually apply for the insurance online and they'll email it to you once it's processed. Seems a little too easy but it would make a big difference and would mean I don't have to go to Santiago.

http://dominicanadeseguros.com/domigrex

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........................Also, what's with putting kiosks in the airports? That doesn't seem to make much sense either. Sure would be nice if this could be clarified.

Aren't the kiosks JCE and just for cedula renewal?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Aren't the kiosks JCE and just for cedula renewal?

If there were kiosks of the JCE at the airports, they would not be for the renewal of resident's cedulas. It would be too difficult for them to figure out how to do that. *

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If there were kiosks of the JCE at the airports, they would not be for the renewal of resident's cedulas. It would be too difficult for them to figure out how to do that. *

Not sure if still there but for awhile JCE had a kiosk at SDQ. Might have been during the time to change to the "new" cedula.