Residency renewal online - has anyone tried?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If it really is*commercial de seguro company that sells the premmiums ( i havent really followed the threads, though I sured cos I have to renew in january ), *I have successfully paid premmiums for car insurance through caribe express and ban reservas ( i think, couldnt swear to the actual bank ).
They sent all my docs to my doorstep by caribe tour then carro publico.*
And I live in the middle of no where.

Also, the commercial de seguros office in santiago is situated in a small street behind DGM. Quite hard to find the first time as it looks just like the other houses around it.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
If it really is*commercial de seguro company that sells the premmiums ( i havent really followed the threads, though I sured cos I have to renew in january ), *I have successfully paid premmiums for car insurance through caribe express and ban reservas ( i think, couldnt swear to the actual bank ).

Also, the commercial de seguros office in santiago is situated in a small street behind DGM. Quite hard to find the first time as it looks just like the other houses around it.

Oh and at no xtra charge, which was kind of a nice surprise.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Aren't the kiosks JCE and just for cedula renewal?

Unles the procedure has been changed recently, and that sure is possible, at least for renewing a temporary residency you have to first go to the DGM in S.D., pay some fees, fill out some paperwork(not sure exactly since my attorney did it), get your residency renewed, and only then can you go to JCE on Ave Luperon and get your cedula.

I suppose if you wanted you to you could then go to a JCE kiosk at an airport, but don't see much advantage in that(?). For most people if you're not going to get your cedula right there in S.D., why not go to the JCE nearest where you live? I must be missing something.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Oh and at no xtra charge, which was kind of a nice surprise.

What insursance company do you use? I've had a lot of things sent to me via CaribeTour, but I've always had to go and pick it up. This is the first time I've ever heard of any personal, to my door, delivery(?). No extra charge?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Unles the procedure has been changed recently, and that sure is possible, at least for renewing a temporary residency you have to first go to the DGM in S.D., pay some fees, fill out some paperwork(not sure exactly since my attorney did it), get your residency renewed, and only then can you go to JCE on Ave Luperon and get your cedula.

I suppose if you wanted you to you could then go to a JCE kiosk at an airport, but don't see much advantage in that(?). For most people if you're not going to get your cedula right there in S.D., why not go to the JCE nearest where you live? I must be missing something.

I tried to renew my cedula in La Romana at JCE here and they told me all foreigners have to go to Santo Domingo. *They would not do it in La Romana.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I tried to renew my cedula in La Romana at JCE here and they told me all foreigners have to go to Santo Domingo. *They would not do it in La Romana.

Renewing the cedula at the JCE on Avenida Luperon is the easy part - maybe 20 minutes(?). Still don't see what the advantages are of the kiosks in the airports(?). Typical of everything the government does here - mass confusion due to really poor communication.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Exactly. *They have not figured out how to do this at local JCE offices so you there is one and only one location for foreigners to get their cedulas and that is in Santo Domingo.*

malko

Jan 12, 2013
What insursance company do you use? I've had a lot of things sent to me via CaribeTour, but I've always had to go and pick it up. This is the first time I've ever heard of any personal, to my door, delivery(?). No extra charge?

I think its the one we are talking about.
La commercial de seguro.
Well I am sure its my car insurance one :)
Not certain its the one that does the residency new obligatory premmium, but i think so.

Oh and completly off topic, but they actually sent me the plastic insurance proof thingy ( that u would present to AMET ),*whithout me having paid the premmium can u believe !!!?
I needed sobrina to come and get us at airport, insurance had ran out ( i pay yearly ), they had phoned MIL, MIL forgot to tell me, i had allready left home ( europe ) for the US, and had no way to pay them.
Thats cla.ss for an insurance company :) :)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

How did they send you docs by "carro publico"? and you "live in the middle of nowhere"? Publicos only travel on specific, defined routes. Do you mean "taxi privado"?

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
Is it possible to purchase a seguro for the other person if you have his/her passport? Do you have to go there personally to purchase? What documents do you need have to buy it and if anyone tried to do it on-line?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Something smells fishy here. First of all, La Seguros Comercial was the only company to offer this insurance. Turns out that the Asociacion Abogados Migratorios recently filed a formal complaint against DGM for operating a monopoly and forced their hand into authorizing two other companies to offer this insurance(now a mini-monopoly).

The premium they are charging appears to be nothing short of gouging temporary residents. Like another poster said - a huge money grab. Connect the dots.

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
So... i decided to go to the La commercial seguro office in Santiago today, despite the terrible weather. They were extremely friendly and efficient and even gave me coffee and a ride to the bus station as it was raining so hard. I was very impressed.
The process took about 30 minutes.

The buena conducta was a piece of cake - also done online and instant.

I've now uploaded all of my documents on the DGM's website. It says it's being evaluated. I'm not quite sure what will come next... I'm hoping it will tell me when it's ready to be picked up.

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
i am renewing permanent residency. the process is simple: apply online, fill up online form, upload jpeg versions of all documents required. it took about a week to process this, then i had to go to SD to pay in DGM and do medical. now i am waiting for this to be processed and cleared. i will have to go to SD to make an appointment for residency renewal and then again to receive the carnet and do the cedula (i did not pay VIP, my mistake, i guess).

i don't know how temporary residency renewal looks like.

Did you have to send your paper work as well as upload it? A day after I uploaded all the docs, it's telling me to print a shipping sheet.
There are no instructions so I really don't know what I'm supposed to do next!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I can't see the answer here unless I have missed it, but can anyone now confirm whether the application for renewal HAS to be started online, or can you just got to the office in Santo Domingo without going online first?

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
I went to the Migracion last Thursday (temporary residence renewal) I've decided to go without the on-line application. HUGE mistake! They do not let you even enter the hall without the print out of the on-line confirmation. I didn't want it to be a 300 km trip for nothing so I just paid 1000 peso (per person) to the guy sitting in the car with the printer near the migracion who uploaded my documents (it took 40 min) and gave me a password. On Monday p.m. my approval appeared (thus, it takes around 1,5 - 2 working days). On Tuesday I went to renew. Took about 5 hours in total (including the trip to Hunta Electoral and time there which was extremely fast - about 25 min in total). BTW do not wear the camouflage patterned shirt for the photograph, my husband was told to change the shirt since you can't wear anything like that on the cedula photo.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I went to the Migracion last Thursday (temporary residence renewal) I've decided to go without the on-line application. HUGE mistake! They do not let you even enter the hall without the print out of the on-line confirmation. I didn't want it to be a 300 km trip for nothing so I just paid 1000 peso (per person) to the guy sitting in the car with the printer near the migracion who uploaded my documents (it took 40 min) and gave me a password. On Monday p.m. my approval appeared (thus, it takes around 1,5 - 2 working days). On Tuesday I went to renew. Took about 5 hours in total (including the trip to Hunta Electoral and time there which was extremely fast - about 25 min in total). BTW do not wear the camouflage patterned shirt for the photograph, my husband was told to change the shirt since you can't wear anything like that on the cedula photo.
Thank you very much. You have saved me from making the same mistake!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have completed the entire renewal process few weeks ago. i think it's very easy now with online application but god, it takes tons of time to get things done in DGM, lots of people and long wait. it took me about 5 hours before i had my residency. JCE was very swift tho, about 20 minutes tops.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
i have completed the entire renewal process few weeks ago. i think it's very easy now with online application but god, it takes tons of time to get things done in DGM, lots of people and long wait. it took me about 5 hours before i had my residency. JCE was very swift tho, about 20 minutes tops.

If you think it's bad now, imagine what it will be like when another 200,000 or more that are in the regularization program start to have to begin applying for their residencies!!!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
yeah, i'm glad i'm good for 4 more years now.

I've never seen any statistics on ow many residency renewals DGM is able to process in one year, but I'd be willing to bet it is nowhere close to 200,000(?).

I think that is why we're not hearing much about what they're going to do with those in the regularization program. They don't have a clue as to how they can possibly process so many additional residency renewals.