Robbed on Pedro Clisante

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I recall, it’s against the law for two guys to ride on a moto......just another toothless legislation.  :(

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
This has been happening for well over a year. Mostly they are targeting prostitutes. I know of two instances of girls getting on a moto and the driver pulling over in a dark spot, assaults them and steals their possessions. The girls are easy targets and the police will never lift a finger to assist. - Now if it happens to a tourist, that will be a different story. 

As for Sosua being trash? The prostitution is unsightly, disturbing and a very big problem. But the flip side is that we also have a very good community of ex-pats and Dominicans and in two years I have never had a single problem with crime. Cheers 

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Prostitutes with a residency card and a passport at home? Sounds like just hapless bystanders although who walks around with 10 mill? Don't do that.

It sounds like the usual run up to Christmas. I don't quite understand it myself. Do thieves need the extra cash, is there extra opportunity, or is there some other economic disruption that creates a deficit? But, there does seem to be an air of desperation around this time of year. Be extra cautious.

As for confronting the suspects, I'd ask what you expect to accomplish? If you're just calling them out, forgetaboutit. I'd wave down the PN or Cestur when they come through and have a friendly chat and throw in some beer money. (If you have a girl friend that isn't a prostitute, I'd have a similar conversation so they know not to harass her).

However, I gently do this: The basic message is not to $hit where they eat. This is our neighborhood and we intend to keep it safe for the families that live here. I often know their family, mothers, etc. It's a gentle, fatherly conversation that generally gets across especially if repeated and includes the occasional beer at the colmado. (Sosua is a different animal.)

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
These girls were walking - not on the moto, the thieves were. The one I know is not a prostitute, she has a menial job part time in a store and also cleans apartments. Don't know the other one.

But I know Cestur has targeted the working girls - plenty of video of them humiliating them on the streets and I have seen it first hand more than once.
This however is a simple hit and run purse grab.

What surprises me is why targeted Dominicans, unless they saw one of them open their purse and followed them.

I have heard of people being followed coming out of Western Union or a bank on PC. Seems if they wanted to go for more certain cash they would be more inclined to grab a purse from a tourist. (not a suggestion).

I think the best advice was given above - don't carry a purse.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
These girls were walking - not on the moto, the thieves were. The one I know is not a prostitute, she has a menial job part time in a store and also cleans apartments. Don't know the other one.

But I know Cestur has targeted the working girls - plenty of video of them humiliating them on the streets and I have seen it first hand more than once.
This however is a simple hit and run purse grab.

What surprises me is why targeted Dominicans, unless they saw one of them open their purse and followed them.

I have heard of people being followed coming out of Western Union or a bank on PC. Seems if they wanted to go for more certain cash they would be more inclined to grab a purse from a tourist. (not a suggestion).

I think the best advice was given above - don't carry a purse.

Sounds like a crime of spontaneous opportunity.
People leaving banks, change money, and WU with cash would be more inclined to be careful.
The crimes of opportunity happen when you are not paying attention.
You would not expect to be robbed in broad daylight while walking with a friend.
This kind of low life will know that robbing tourists will bring the police down on them.

I have seen the police round up the working girls for simply being on the street alone.
If they were with a male "friend" or inside a bar they were not bothered.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Crimes of opportunity are just that, an opportunity to commit a crime and most likely get away. I have said before, no one should carry all their money in one place (purse) or just one packet. We have all been told not to walk around with our actual passport. Women the world over know that they are at an increased risk for this type of snatch and grab crime.

The crime itself is not new and occurs year round everywhere in this country. The Dominican women accosted certainly knew this and on that day had done nothing to limit their losses when unfortunately their number came up.

The streets are not 100% safe for anyone at anytime. In the lead up to Holidays, all we hear the snide comments from gringos about the increase risk of being robbed. Surely foreigners are not the only ones who appreciate this reality even if it seems that we are more often the targets for this type of crime, we're probably not.

Everybody here wants your money - From the cops at traffic stops, to the shop keepers who regularly miscalculate how much change they return, to the pickpockets, snatch & Grab types and the chicas who will take everything they can carry, even a TV remote for a TV they do not own.

Two sides to this coin. As the one being robbed it is incumbent on you not to present yourself as an easy and lucrative target and prepare in advance for the off chance that today you will lose everything in your left pocket or purse. You can expect the criminals to know who to target, when and where, that's what they do for a living.

A shame for these two women at anytime, but not novel or sensational in anyway in Sousa or elsewhere.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Call me the Cynic, but 10k pesos is what ? Around 200$. Nothing outrageous about walking around with 200$, lol.

Oh, I forgot, first off, i do feel sorry for the 2 girls, especially if it represents a lot of money for them.

Secondly, why be upset about an Id card ? Go to a Junta Electoral, its free, and they wont ask for any proof of theft or anything ( last year we re-did my wife's cedula as we couldnt find it----------- of course we just got back from JE and we found it the back pocket of my shorts at home-------- som2 cedulas ;) ;) ).

Also, they would have to be very desperate thieves, more like piperos, to target somebody/anybody, in broad daylight on a fairly busy street, no ? They could have easily got shot /  run over by a pick-up / hacked to pieces by a machete-wielding crowd, covered in old tyres and set alight, etc, etc, etc.......

I am comforted in my opinion that in the dr, opportunity crimes are less frequent than back home in europe, whereas its the opposite for " serious" crimes.
The 2 thieves took stupid life threatning risks ( to themseleves ) for 200 $.........they too were probably very disapointed with the meager loot...... just saying.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....if you are in a concho,in Santiago...you know with the windows all down,and you are sitting next to the window...and wearing a swiss watch with your arm out the window...a watch that you shouldnt have on.....well anyway and not paying attention because all that attention is going to the chica next to you...and there is a moto driving slow next to us with 2 guys on it...yep that guy was me a few weeks ago, at the last second the driver tells me ,put your arm inside..sooo the motorcycle goes ahead to the next concho and grabs a ladies phone...with everybody yelling at the police who are 15 yards away and blind, the bad guys drive away...if you dont want to lose it, dont have it with you...the watch not the chica......Doc.......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not at all Buster..

My watchymen all tell me we need be more vigilant in late Nov/early Dec....
'tis the season.

Always... road blocks appear for $$$, petty theft goes up...

surely , it can't just be here....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Aha Doc

My father was a Commando in WW2....tactics etc... trained.

Eons ago in NYC , in the back of a taxi.... some guy stuck his head in....

My father just reached out , grabbed his shirt and pulled & slammed the guy's head into the roof of the car.
We drove on.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
not at all Buster..

'tis the season.

You’re right, it’s everywhere.  Dominicans know to be more vigilant. 

As far as her walking around with 10,000 pesos, if that is a lot of money to her then I doubt she has a secure home to leave it in/hide it in.  I normally carry a lot more than that, but I’m rarely walking around streets, it’s more like in and out of the car.  

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm often amazed at some of our posters here who seem oblivious to the local goings on....

Just common sense in most cases - is all that's needed......
Awareness... time & place, time of year.....
No windows down in Sto Dom....locked doors at stop lights.......easy on the strange women....

Not that tough really

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
not at all Buster..

'tis the season.

I call it "stealing for Jesus".

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Call me the Cynic, but 10k pesos is what ? Around 200$. Nothing outrageous about walking around with 200$, lol.

Oh, I forgot, first off, i do feel sorry for the 2 girls, especially if it represents a lot of money for them.

Secondly, why be upset about an Id card ? Go to a Junta Electoral, its free, and they wont ask for any proof of theft or anything ( last year we re-did my wife's cedula as we couldnt find it----------- of course we just got back from JE and we found it the back pocket of my shorts at home-------- som2 cedulas ;) ;) ).

Also, they would have to be very desperate thieves, more like piperos, to target somebody/anybody, in broad daylight on a fairly busy street, no ? They could have easily got shot /  run over by a pick-up / hacked to pieces by a machete-wielding crowd, covered in old tyres and set alight, etc, etc, etc.......

I am comforted in my opinion that in the dr, opportunity crimes are less frequent than back home in europe, whereas its the opposite for " serious" crimes.
The 2 thieves took stupid life threatning risks ( to themseleves ) for 200 $.........they too were probably very disapointed with the meager loot...... just saying.

These bums see it as making $200 in 10 seconds.
If the thieves saw it as a life threatening risk or were going to get caught they would not have done it.
$200 US for a simple snatch and grab purse theft in the DR is not meager loot.
In fact it would seem unusual for the girls to have that much.
Wonder if they knew the girls had money?

The average Dominicana has zero money, lots of make up, and a nice cell phone in her pocket book.
Whatever cash she had went in the weekly salon visit.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Aha Doc

My father was a Commando in WW2....tactics etc... trained.

Eons ago in NYC , in the back of a taxi.... some guy stuck his head in....

My father just reached out , grabbed his shirt and pulled & slammed the guy's head into the roof of the car.
We drove on.

...yes Bill ...I know, I know.. but when your mind is elsewhere..........

Status
Not open for further replies.