Salsa dancing in Santo Domingo?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hi Zain,

you will find salsa in Santo Domingo on weekend nights at Macumba, Avenida Vicente de Paul, which is the street with most salsa clubs in the capital.
Maybe better call one of these SD salsa schools first to find out where to go on which night:
* D'Estilo, escuela de salsa internacional: tel 595-7598
* Pasos, academia de baile: tel 541-2137
* Bailes tropicales 21 horas: tel 622-2020 or www.salsaen21horas.net
Have fun!
salsero Bartolomeo

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
dominicans dont dance salsa!

Dominicans dont dance salsa we dance merengue and bachata now there are some dominicans who dance salsa but the majority are dancing merengue and bachata we are merengueros and bachateros not salsero

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Ricardo

I don't know much about Johnny Pacheco other than he was one the original Fania All Stars however, Jose Alberto is a well respected salsero outside of the DR and very popular in NY and other US cities where salsa is popular. His name comes up often among some of the 'good' salsa artists however not as much as it should in my opinion since he really does have a great repertoire of salsa music.

Now keep in mind Jose Alberto is Dominican born but he moved to Pto. Rico at the age of seven and grew up in R?o Piedras and Carolina not too far from San Juan. He signed his first record contract with a company in PR and from there his popularity began. I suspect that's why his name is not mentioned much among Dominican artists.

LDG.

Ricardo900 said:
Since we are on the topic, I am tired of hearing all the praises for Juan Luis Guerra, but what about Johnny Pacheco(Fania All Stars) was born in Santiago
Jose "El Canario" Alberto was born in the Capital.

GatoLoco

Sep 19, 2005
www.rocketspanish.com
Salsa Salsa Salsa

z_zapper said:
Hi,

I've searched the forums extensively, and while a number of topics touch upon this question peripherally, nothing out there has helped me get a real sense of how much salsa dancing there is to be done in the capital? Has anyone out there actually done any salsa in SD? Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'm trying to plan a vacation next month...

Thx,
Zain

Hi,

I love salsa and been to many latin american salsa clubs but unfortunatly not in Santo Domingo. I did find a site though with some good options for you. go to: http://www.10best.com/Santo_Domingo/Nightlife/Dance_Clubs/ one of these is bound to hit the spot!!! good luck.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Best salseros in my mind:

1) Cubans
2) NY/LA/Miami latino's
3) Dutch :eek:

I admit to not having been in all the places mentioned in this thread.. however I've never seen any salsa dancer in the DR match the style and pace of one of my friends.. I myself am an OK dancer... we invariably have fun and get comments like "el baile mejor que nos otros".. "pero este hombre baile".. when dancing bachata or merengue.. but when we dance salsa they will just clear the floor and applaud.. but it's very, very difficult to find a salsa dancer (female) to do turns and dips with in the DR.. we will usually adjust to the local level (no vueltas por favor) as this is the only way to have fun dancing salsa in the DR..

One of our funniest experiences took place when we crashed a private party of animation people in Boca Chica.. at first they told us to go away.. but we stayed for one drink.. then danced and after one dance all the girls wanted to dance with us to really practice their turns and moves.. the guys were a bit miffed but we played it cool..

May 31, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
haha, Dominicans are the worst salsa dancers, yes of course a few of them know how to get down, but the majority of them, no way. I am yet to go to a dominican club and see dominicans crowding the dance floor to Gilberto Santa Rosa, Victor Manuelle, Tito Rojas, etc... But if the DJ plays Merengue or Bachata, "P'al Bailadooorr!"
I would love to see what type of clubs you be going to because the ones that I go to get just as packed when a salsa song comes on.

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
salsa in the DR is reasonably present in Santo Domingo and Santiago.. but don't expect a very high standard in the dancing ;)

MerengueDutchie

You never got to taking me dancing in Sosua.... maybe you could show us how .... tell me when ;)

May 31, 2005
It is true what Stogdord was saying. The barrios have the best salsa dancing. I have first hand experience with that. That's the reason whey I don't give out the name of the clubs and where they are located. I wouldn't want any naive non local to get caught around there without a guide... I would offer to show you around though....

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dragonfly32837 said:
I would love to see what type of clubs you be going to because the ones that I go to get just as packed when a salsa song comes on.
All of the Dominican Clubs in NYC, Mirage, Umbrella Lounge, El Gran Mars de Plata, Cafe Rubio, Rancho Jubilee, Karey Cafe, El Continental, Astro Mundo, etc....

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Lesley D,

you know your salsa ;) ....and indeed the older salsa are what the TRUE salseros listen to...and the calenos are some hardcore salseros as well ...Grupo Niche.. ;) who put Colombia in the forefront as well...

yes, Joe has his own rythm mixed with cumbia as well as antillano my countries national music 'compas' & the french antilles 'zouk'. ;)

El Gran Gombo well what more can I say..

too bad these great artist will be unknown.....Daddy Yankee will be considered the legend...LOL..

Lesley D said:
Joe Arroyo.... you named giant salsero there and Colombian pride. I agree with you I have been to clubs in Panama and Colombia and salsa dancing is serious untill dawn. Most of all the old salsa tunes are what all generations are dancing to. For example the Latin Brothers, Alfredo de la Fe, Hector Lavoe, El Gran Combo etc.

Joe Arroyo officially has own rhythm called 'joes?n'. Did you know songs like Rebeli?n, Echao Pa'lante, Suave Bruta etc. are combinations of his own rhythm with cumbia nuances? Great music!

LDG.

Bachatadutchie

Jan 7, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
It is true what Stogdord was saying. The barrios have the best salsa dancing. I have first hand experience with that. That's the reason whey I don't give out the name of the clubs and where they are located. I wouldn't want any naive non local to get caught around there without a guide... I would offer to show you around though....

How would you qualify the style of salsa that the people dance there? Is it similar to Cuban, or maybe more like Colombian, or even Puerto Rican?

Bachatadutchie

Jan 7, 2005
Exactly my point!

Lesley D said:
I have danced salsa in many cities and SD does not rank on my top five list. A combination of style and not very many good dancers (I have not encountered many)
LDG.

I only know one good Dominican salsa dancer. He lives in Holland and teaches merengue and bachata.

Many salsa dancers in Holland go dancing all over the world and the ones that visited the DR all say the same. The level of salsa is relatively low. My personal experience is that the only "decent" salsa dancers are the ones that perform in dance groups or are not Dominican.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it is bad. One of the reasons that make the DR special to me is the fact that the DR is trendsetting in Typico and Bachata. It makes it different from al lot of other countries in the region.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lesley D said:
Just my opinion salsa in the DR is limited to certain areas. There are some places in SD to go salsa dancing but in general I have danced salsa in many cities and SD does not rank on my top five list. A combination of style and not very many good dancers (I have not encountered many) are the reasons for my comments.

When the dance floor is empty with the lights spinning you bet it's because the DJ is playing salsa and as a result only one or two are played per round and that's it.

Now talk to me about salsa dancing in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Panama City, Panam? or Cartagena, Colombia. I have had a great time in those cities when it comes to salsa dancing.

But if there are any good new places please do let us know as I would like to check them out when I am in SD in a few months.

LDG.

Leslie,

Try O'Sede on la avenida San Vincente de Paul and la Calle Costa Rica on Thursdays. This is their Salsa night. There is no club in DR dedicated to just Salsa, however many have one night of the week that plays extrictly Salsa.

And like I said before, you won't see many Salsa dancers around resort or hotel night clubs where the upper crust plays, they are in the Patios, Ca?itas y Cellejones.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Salsa

Stodgord,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will play it by ear and who knows I might change my mind and just enjoy merengue and bachata in SD. I know where I have to go for 'salsa de la buena'. I already named some of my favorite cities. I also enjoy salsa in Miami.

Quisqueya,

So you like Grupo Niche that means you must like Orquesta Guayac?n too. Both are legendary Colombian salsa groups of the late eighties and nineties. However, Grupo Niche phased out of the salsa scene over the past 5 yrs and just last year they resurfaced with a new album called Imaginaci?n. An album I own but I have not listened to as yet however the reviews are good. So when I get a chance to I am sure it will remind me of how great they are and now of course with new band members. Grupo Niche is impressive and their greatest hits album is a true reflection of their excellence. Songs like 'Ana Mile', 'Lo bonito y lo feo', 'Hagamos lo que diga el coraz?n', 'Prueba de Fuego', 'Gotas de lluvia' and the list goes on. Who can resist salsa like that. Not me! As for Orquesta Guayac?n they are just an extremely talented group of musicians and a sample of Colombia's finest. I am always amazed when I compare the two groups. They are both from Cali but have very different salsa styles. They slowed down too but came back with some nice albums over the past five years. Nevertheless 'dejaron sus huellas' and good salsa never dies proof of that is the fact that people still listen to old salsa and enjoy it to the max. Willie Col?n's salsa always sounds good to me anytime any day. Line up some of the oldies like La murga, Peri?dico de ayer, Calle luna calle sol and el Gran var?n...... no se puede corregir a la naturaleza........

Thanks to these artists salsa is what it is today.

LDG.

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lesley D said:
Stodgord,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will play it by ear and who knows I might change my mind and just enjoy merengue and bachata in SD. I know where I have to go for 'salsa de la buena'. I already named some of my favorite cities. I also enjoy salsa in Miami.

Quisqueya,

So you like Grupo Niche that means you must like Orquesta Guayac?n too. Both are legendary Colombian salsa groups of the late eighties and nineties. However, Grupo Niche phased out of the salsa scene over the past 5 yrs and just last year they resurfaced with a new album called Imaginaci?n. An album I own but have not listened to as yet but the reviews are good. So when I get a chance to I am sure it will remind me of how great they are and now of course with new band members. Grupo Niche is impressive and their greatest hits album is a true reflection of their excellence. Songs like 'Ana Mile', 'Lo bonito y lo feo', 'Hagamos lo que diga el coraz?n', 'Prueba de Fuego', 'Gotas de lluvia' and the list goes on. Who can resist salsa like that. Not me! As for Orquesta Guayac?n they are just an extremely talented group of musicians and a sample of Colombia's finest. I am always amazed when I compare the two groups. They are both from Cali but have very different salsa styles. They slowed down too but came back with some nice albums over the past five years. Nevertheless 'dejaron sus huellas' and good salsa never dies proof of that is the fact that people still listen to old salsa and enjoy it to the max. Willie Col?n's salsa always sounds good to me anytime any day. Line up some of the oldies like La murga, Peri?dico de ayer, Calle luna calle sol and el Gran var?n...... no se puede corregir a la naturaleza........

LDG.

Leslie,

Where do you stand on Paquito Guzman (aka El Viejevo)?

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
La Salsa Vieja

Lesley D,

la salsa vieja, indeed can NOT be reckon with...the content of the music and the respect for the origin of the music..unlike now....after listening & dancing to lets say Oscar De Leon(venezolano) you feel anointed...

Its scary to see such a genre of music losing out to reggaeton. In the tri-state area you'll hear nothing but Oye Ma, Dime Pa? Yo,Yo pa' la calle, man..latino reppin' .....on the air waves...I strictly listen to my CD's "compas,salsa, merengue, and some bachata".

Personally if your fanatics of great salsa and love to dance salsa DR ain't the spot..even Montreal have a better salsa clubs than DR...

Now merengue and bachata...well, we all know the heart land of that is DR...dont even need to go to a club..just stand in front of your nearest colmado and watch them dominicans get down...

Lesley D said:
Stodgord,

Quisqueya,

So you like Grupo Niche that means you must like Orquesta Guayac?n too. Both are legendary Colombian salsa groups of the late eighties and nineties. However, Grupo Niche phased out of the salsa scene over the past 5 yrs and just last year they resurfaced with a new album called Imaginaci?n. An album I own but have not listened to as yet but the reviews are good. So when I get a chance to I am sure it will remind me of how great they are and now of course with new band members. Grupo Niche is impressive and their greatest hits album is a true reflection of their excellence. Songs like 'Ana Mile', 'Lo bonito y lo feo', 'Hagamos lo que diga el coraz?n', 'Prueba de Fuego', 'Gotas de lluvia' and the list goes on. Who can resist salsa like that. Not me! As for Orquesta Guayac?n they are just an extremely talented group of musicians and a sample of Colombia's finest. I am always amazed when I compare the two groups. They are both from Cali but have very different salsa styles. They slowed down too but came back with some nice albums over the past five years. Nevertheless 'dejaron sus huellas' and good salsa never dies proof of that is the fact that people still listen to old salsa and enjoy it to the max. Willie Col?n's salsa always sounds good to me anytime any day. Line up some of the oldies like La murga, Peri?dico de ayer, Calle luna calle sol and el Gran var?n...... no se puede corregir a la naturaleza........

LDG.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Can you believe a big city like NYC have only One traditional latin radio station, not counting La Kalle(formerly Latino Mix) or the rapidly converting La Mega (who feels that they must play a lot of Reggaeton to keep listeners)

Can you believe all of the Major Latin Clubs in NYC now cater to a Reggaeton crowd on the weekends. In NYC you have to go to small venues on the weekends for some true salsa. Too bad!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Quisqueya and Stodgord

Quisqueya,

I don't want to give reggaeton the spotlight in this thread. There's one in the general forum but I know what you mean. I still think it's due to trends, music styles and the lack of ability by the younger generations to appreciate Spanish thus the preference for Spanglish lyrics. Salsa might lose out to the newer generations but there are still many who appreciate good 'salsa vieja' as you say.

Regarding Montr?al I know! You are talking about my own city. There are some awesome salsa clubs in downtown Montr?al. I am sure you have visited but just go down Rue Ste. Catherine or Rue St Denis and you will get some salsa out of this world. Merengue and bachata are doing well in Montr?al too. Have you been to Montr?al Nord? Some serious bachata happens on the weekends on St Hubert and Jean Talon Ouest.

Stodgord,

Paquito Guzm?n does not cut it for me. His salsa is boring and just too flat for my taste. He needs to spice up his music with some timbales, maracas & el tres.

Anyway the chat has been nice but I can talk infinitely about salsa. Let's keep genre alive by supporting the good artists. That's the least we can do.

Adi?s y que siga la rumba.

LDG.

Quisqueya said:
Lesley D,

la salsa vieja, indeed can NOT be reckon with...the content of the music and the respect for the origin of the music..unlike now....after listening & dancing to lets say Oscar De Leon(venezolano) you feel anointed...

Its scary to see such a genre of music losing out to reggaeton. In the tri-state area you'll hear nothing but Oye Ma, Dime Pa? Yo,Yo pa' la calle, man..latino reppin' .....on the air waves...I strictly listen to my CD's "compas,salsa, merengue, and some bachata".

Personally if your fanatics of great salsa and love to dance salsa DR ain't the spot..even Montreal have a better salsa clubs than DR...

Now merengue and bachata...well, we all know the heart land of that is DR...dont even need to go to a club..just stand in front of your nearest colmado and watch them dominicans get down...

Last edited: