Salsa dancing in Santo Domingo?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Bachatadutchie said:
How would you qualify the style of salsa that the people dance there? Is it similar to Cuban, or maybe more like Colombian, or even Puerto Rican?

No, it isn't. Dominicans dance salsa the same way as people in Curacao , meaning with the 'wrong' foot forward (right for men instead of left) which means that all turn patterns go in the opposite direction.

Bartolomeo-heading-for-the-UK-salsa-congress-this-weekend

May 31, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
All of the Dominican Clubs in NYC, Mirage, Umbrella Lounge, El Gran Mars de Plata, Cafe Rubio, Rancho Jubilee, Karey Cafe, El Continental, Astro Mundo, etc....
That's different. I am talking about salsa dancing in clubs in Santo Domingo. I don't really know about the salsa dancers in NYC.

May 31, 2005
Bachatadutchie said:
How would you qualify the style of salsa that the people dance there? Is it similar to Cuban, or maybe more like Colombian, or even Puerto Rican?
I see a mixture. Everyone seems to dance differently but good nonetheless.

May 31, 2005
I love Grupo Niche. I have the whole collection. I also have the whole Tito Rojas, Marc Anthony, and Victor Manuelle collections.
I have most from Gilberto Santo Rosa and Frankie Ruiz.
Plus, there are also many other artists whom I just have an album or two.

Some people seem to think that Dominicans are all about Bachata and Merengue.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Bartolomeo67 said:
No, it isn't. Dominicans dance salsa the same way as people in Curacao , meaning with the 'wrong' foot forward (right for men instead of left) which means that all turn patterns go in the opposite direction.

Bartolomeo-heading-for-the-UK-salsa-congress-this-weekend

Bartolomeo,

Do you mean traditional Cuban style (like they dance in Santiago de Cuba i.e.).. maybe but I've seen Dominicans dance left foot forward as well (with me but with others as well)..

Turn patterns over right are usually slightly different (traditional Cuban patterns are)..

Have a nice weekend in the UK

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
El Torre on San Vincente De Paul used to be mostly a Salsa place. Most Dominicanas I know who dance salsa used to go to El Torre when they wanted to salsa.

Bachatadutchie

Jan 7, 2005
[QUOTE

Bartolomeo-heading-for-the-UK-salsa-congress-this-weekend[/QUOTE]

Actually this is the way we danced in Holland some 10- 15 years ago. And the way I learned to dance salsa. We were the only country in Europe (thanks to it's population of Antillian residents) that danced right foot front.
Some 8 years ago the switch to left foot front was made.

Naturally the turn patterns are different and a cross body lead is not possible, but that doesn't mean that fancy dancing is impossible this way.

I still have the feeling (based upon personal experience and what is communicated on this forum) that the Dominican way of salsa is mainly dancing close to your partner and not using many turnpatterns, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bachatadutchie said:
I still have the feeling (based upon personal experience and what is communicated on this forum) that the Dominican way of salsa is mainly dancing close to your partner and not using many turnpatterns, but please correct me if I am wrong.

That's what Mr C has always told me. He is a salsa loving Dominican and he does not go for all all the showy turns and spins that people go for in other countries. He said that salsa dancers in clubs in the UK were technically accomplished but very clinical, soulless and too fixated on the elaborate details.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My two pesos worth

Salsa here is danced the opposite of most places I have been. For the men it means you will have a hard time finding a woman who will follow your lead. For me, it meant learning to do everything backwards. All my leads are different, my turns are done the opposite of what I have always known. I"ve learned to dance both ways or I would never get to salsa at all.

I have found that there are many different styles. As a general rule I find that locals dance it with lots of energy and passion. Many of them are not technically proficient they just want to think they are. I have also found that many believe the faster and more intricate the patterns the better dancer they are. Not so, many lose the beat, change the footwork to suit where they happen to be and have no idea about how to lead a move. Many just force it. Some here in Puerto Plata dance salsa simply to show off and get attention. It is blatant.

Some love to keep a girl in nice and close and others love all the turns and manipulations... A few have this urge to dip you way too often and when I am with a newer partner, I dont' trust the dipping...

I am planning to be in SD next week and will go looking for some dancing.. especially salsa. The salsa here in Puerto Plata is somewhat limited.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
have you been to Villa Mella?

The level of salsa in Villa Mella is perhaps the best in DR,, It is HUGE there. It is part of Villa Mella culture same as merengue, bachata, etc. The other place in Santo Domingo Norte where salsa is excellent is La Victoria, another very pure Black town. In Villa Mella they dance to the guaracha, guaguanco, and all that old school stuff from the 50's. They look like the Blacks in Cuba dancing to this stuff, you wouldn't know that they are Dominicans if you see them dancing outside the island . I place my bet on a Villa Mella dancer over any " Nuyorican" anyday.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
Bartolomeo,

Do you mean traditional Cuban style (like they dance in Santiago de Cuba i.e.).. maybe but I've seen Dominicans dance left foot forward as well (with me but with others as well)..

Turn patterns over right are usually slightly different (traditional Cuban patterns are)..

Have a nice weekend in the UK

Hi MerengueDutchie,

no, I don't mean the son step: as planner said, dominican men in the DR start with right foot forward on 1 and as consequence all the turn patterns start in the opposite direction. I generally find that dominican ladies that master the basic salsa step will be able to follow the European/US style with left foot forward. Just don't make the turns too complicated, then they get lost.
Bartolomeo

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
as a sidenote, some of the world's best salsa dancers are dominican born:
Juan Matos and Candy Mena, now living in NYC or NJ.
The did a great performance at the UK salsa congress this weekend.
Bartolomeo

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Ay ay ay! Folks, as a died in the wool NY salsero I am chagrined to hear all this mush about how to dance properly. FYI, salsa -- the dance and the music -- is derived from the mambo craze of the fifties. Salsa itself has roots in Cuban musical forms but it is in fact a creation of the PR diaspora in NYC. It is a NY thing. So, as to the proper way to dance (as with all dance steps, I believe), the man starts with his LEFT foot forward on the SECOND beat. Got it? THIS is THE salsa step -- why? Because of the contrapuntal beat contained in the underlying "clave." If you pay attention to the beat (listen to the wooden sticks being struck in the background and you will hear it), you will see that the dance is much more elegant and just makes more sense when you "break on two" as they say. Just take time to listen a bit and you will understand.

Course, you can put your left forward on the first beat if you like -- but NOT the right foot, my god where is that coming from? That is either a misconception or the dancers are just klutzes. NO dance begins with the right foot forward, ever! Not merengue, not bachata, not the waltz, not rumba. none. period.

many people who didnt grow up during the salsa era of the 60s and 70s instinctively begin with the left foot forward on the first beat when they dance it, and that is accepted. Plenty of clubs will have dancers who break on one and others who break on two, and a good dancer can do both. But all the old salseros know that breaking on two is the mark of the true dancer.

Btw, there are some great Dominican salsa dancers here -- and son as well (go to the Monumento del Son in Villa Mella,and there is a small club over on Hostos, or used to be, where all the old soneros used to gather). But it is true that salsa does not appear as often as bachata (which is now becoming a more complex dance form) and merengue. Most of the women can dance salsa in some form, but fewer men, so you see some unusual interpretations of the dance -- but that too is acceptable. After all, we are not talking about Ballroom competitions, we are talking about a live dance form.

I myself dont like too much "shine" -- the elaborations and fancy moves/turns that were mentioned earlier, but this is the ballroom influence. I like the synchrony that happens when two dancers dance well. salsa is sensuous, elegant, fluid, it is sexy and courtly at the same time. And the best salsa builds to a climax, it is like a narrative, it has different stages, and that influences the steps or moves you make. marvelous to watch as well as dance. Merengue and bachata too can be wonderful if done with style. Merengue is often taught at dance schools as the first latin dance, the merengue "walk" being considered a basic step that most people can learn and build on.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
As for Dominican contributions to the genre, well the truth is that Salsa's "official" first album was Johnny Pacheco's Ca?onazo (with the great Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez, who died a year ago). He and Masucci began Fania records and then went on to produce the legendary team of Lavoe and Colon. Pacheco had a LOT to do with their early work. I cannot say enough good things about this amazing caballero de la salsa. Plus he has a wide range of music, not just salsa. He is a marvelous flautist and did a lot of charanga before he hooked up with El Conde. Btw, IMO Celia Cruz's best salsa came out of her collaboration with Pacheco as well. He was, like Colon, a great facilitator and producer of other people's work.

Jose Alberto "El Canario" did move from DR to PR early on, but he likes to keep his DR roots out there in front and plays alot or used to in the Dominican clubs in NYC. His shtick is the incredible whistling he does, which is really quite something to see live.

Another Dominican Salsero who has some worthy hits is Cuco Valoy. Listen to "Daniel" a plaintive song about the Dominicanos ausentes, for example. I also like Facundo, Himno a la Reconstrucci?n, and Muri? el Sonero.

Finally let's us not forget the small but worthy contribution from Rey Reyes, in particular his first album, El Rey. He had his troubles with drugs and the law, and when he appeared again his work was diminished (though the album that followed his release from jail has some good songs on it); but Dulcinea and El Borojol are great salsa songs. Borojol btw is about the soneros inthe barrios.

A final note, just for scholarly purposes, salsa in Cuba -- what is recorded by NG and others is called "Timba," not salsa, though it shares the same beat.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Macocael, although you're replying to a post that's been dead for 5 months I'm glad you did.
You wrote: "So, as to the proper way to dance (as with all dance steps, I believe), the man starts with his LEFT foot forward on the SECOND beat."
I'm distraught to read this. Having taken Salsa lessons from Eddie Torres in NYC he always taught that the man starts with right foot forward on 5. Brutal! It's bad enough that I still can't get that clave thing down (I don't hear it!!!). Nevertheless, I still get compliments on my dancing - but I'm always leery of dancing with someone for the first time because of the clave thing and the forward on 5 or 2 issue!!

What can I do to correct these Macocael? Help a NYC brotha out!

Dama Descarada

Sep 20, 2004
Bam Bam!

Lesley D said:
Joe Arroyo.... you named giant salsero there and Colombian pride. I agree with you I have been to clubs in Panama and Colombia and salsa dancing is serious untill dawn. Most of all the old salsa tunes are what all generations are dancing to. For example the Latin Brothers, Alfredo de la Fe, Hector Lavoe, El Gran Combo etc.

Joe Arroyo officially has own rhythm called 'joes?n'. Did you know songs like Rebeli?n, Echao Pa'lante, Suave Bruta etc. are combinations of his own rhythm with cumbia nuances? Great music!

LDG.

He also sings in more than 7 different Colombian dialects, which is another reason he is so popular among them. Since I am an honourary Colombiana tambien, all I have to say is Bam Bam ba di di Bam Bam!!! I love Joe...

Sep 19, 2005
I am taking Salsa lesson now in White Plains NY.... they originally showed us the dance in open house as right foot forward. They call the salsa.."ON 2"

they said there several versions "on1" being another. They also said this ON2 style is what they dance in NYC

dont know if it different than the DR

but once we got into class they turned the steps around for the men.

we(MEN) now start back with the left foot...TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE WOMANS RIGHT FOOT FORWARD STEP.

one, two ,,three then a fourth count in air five is the first step going forward six, seven, then 8 is the count in air to finally start over on one ( back with the left foot again)

they say the count will stay the same even when we get out of the steps in turns and spins.....

I am on my second lesson...but I take double lessons each week( they teach the same thing in each class) they are cheap .$110 for 10 lessons...as a starter package.

hopig to get better ...bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
I am taking Salsa lesson now in White Plains NY.... they originally showed us the dance in open house as right foot forward. They call the salsa.."ON 2"

they said there several versions "on1" being another. They also said this ON2 style is what they dance in NYC

dont know if it different than the DR

but once we got into class they turned the steps around for the men.

we(MEN) now start back with the left foot...TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE WOMANS RIGHT FOOT FORWARD STEP.

one, two ,,three then a fourth count in air five is the first step going forward six, seven, then 8 is the count in air to finally start over on one ( back with the left foot again)

they say the count will stay the same even when we get out of the steps in turns and spins.....

I am on my second lesson...but I take double lessons each week( they teach the same thing in each class) they are cheap .$110 for 10 lessons...as a starter package.

hopig to get better ...bob
Hey Bob,

Drop the class, "On2" is the NY Eddie Torres style he created in the late seventies. The majority of salseros will dance "On1" Classic Salsa, unless you go to the Copa, LQ, or any other Dance-School frequented spot, it will be hard to find a partner. The only time "On2" is really useful is in competition or dancing with a girl who not only goes to an "On2" school but is on the same level or above.

p.s. Learning complicated turn-patterns will increase your bachata skills as long as you stay in rythm.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Dont know if it has been said before in this thread - but what happened with learning by rhythm and just dancing salsa?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I second that

Talldrink said:
Dont know if it has been said before in this thread - but what happened with learning by rhythm and just dancing salsa?
The best salsa was taught and learned in somebody's kitchen. "Old School":classic: