Santo Domingo Weather Report

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Of course since yesterday I said there "should be some scattered showers" after the downpours of Tuesday, not a drop fell and it turned into a beautiful sunny but pleasant temperature day. Weather was perfect yesterday.

Today, there are lots of clouds that could bring rain, but meanwhile, has been sunny this Thursday, 4 November morning.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sunday was a lovely day until the late evening. Then, it rained and rained, on and off until dawn.

Today, Monday, 8 November, the skies over Santo Domingo have been overcast with patches of gray clouds. No rain yet, at least in the Julieta area. It has been slightly windy. Looks like rain, latter today.

I am told there is a cold front in the area that will last a couple of days.

Would say temperature is about 26C (78F)

I am invited to an outdoors dinner tonight on a terrace. If I were the host, would be making alternate plans.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dolores said:
Sunday was a lovely day until the late evening. Then, it rained and rained, on and off until dawn.

Today, Monday, 8 November, the skies over Santo Domingo have been overcast with patches of gray clouds. No rain yet, at least in the Julieta area. It has been slightly windy. Looks like rain, latter today.

I am told there is a cold front in the area that will last a couple of days.

Would say temperature is about 26C (78F)

I am invited to an outdoors dinner tonight on a terrace. If I were the host, would be making alternate plans.

See http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/pub/data/text/FZNT23/KNHC.TXT for info on the cold front.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Weather turned out to be better than expected yesterday. Rained only slightly for a short burst in the afternoon, and the evening on the terrace went fine. Not a drop. It wasn't even too chilly. A pleasant 26C, would say.

This morning, Tuesday, 9 November, feels a degree or two cooler. Skies are overcast, but it just looks like a day of cool weather, and on and off rain drizzles.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yesterday, my forecast of a day of cool weather came through. Since I forecast on and off drizzles, there was no rain.

The weather forecast, nevertheless, is that bad weather has settled upon us for the next couple of days. The satellite photos show the DR overcast and lots of rain is forecast for the entire island. Will be in Puerto Plata over the weekend, so hope it clears.

Looking out from my terrace, though, the skies are less overcast than yesterday. So let's see how the day develops.

Regardless, according to the National Hurricane Center of Miami, Florida:
Heavy rainfall is forecast for the island of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico during the next couple of days. Furthermore, its weather report today indicates that a tropical wave is moving over the central Caribbean, being at 71W south of 18N, which puts it right smack on top of the DR, and was moving west. The wave is being masked by a broad area of low pressure over the central Caribbean. The area is affected by a cold front, with chilly weather conditions and temperatures of around 20C to 27C during the day.

See http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/hurricane/track_e.html

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Quite windy this morning and chilly, overcast but the sun is out and the wind seems to be keeping the rain clouds dispersed. (report at 11 am, Wednesday, 10 November)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yesterday, Wednesday, turned out to be a beautiful day with blue skies. This morning, at 9 am, starts out as a lovely day. Some clouds, but temperature is pleasant.

I guess the rain clouds did take the northeastern track, as forecast, and have moved away from the island.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I knew it... just say it wouldn't rain and one gets a downpour. It is raining hard in Santo Domingo. And Hillbilly says same for Santiago since this morning.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It's been raining on and off all day now. And it's cold -- would estimate about 23C (73F) for this time of the year.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yesterday the day cleared up, no rain in the evening, despite a constant drizzle on and off all day yesterday.

Lovely rainbow this morning. Overcast and cool.

Raining around noon.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Saturday, 13 November. Beautiful blue skies, sunny day. Scattered clouds. Breezy, but hot at around noon in the Julieta area.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Monday, 15 November. For the most part, a sunny day. Scattered clouds. Breezy, and a most pleasant temperature, would say about 26C (79F).

It's November, but we are having late December and January weather now. Must be really cold up north.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Tuesday, 16 November. Overcast since the morning. Light drizzle on and off. And it's cold. Would say about 24C (75F) or less.

In the afternoon, in the Julieta area of the city, it warmed up to about 28C, but could see dark clouds over the eastern part of the city.

Still have yet to get some good rain.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Monday, 13 December. Hazy. Lots of blue sky all around Santo Domingo, but lots of low clouds too. The sun is shining and one feels patches of heat when going out -- around 29C (84F), but then there is a cooler very light breeze that is keeping the day from being too hot.

So there is a combination of humidness, heat and pleasant Christmas temperature that makes inside temperatures feel more like 27C (80F).

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Wednesday, 15 December. Clear light blue skies all around. Few clouds. Sun is shining, but there is a slight cool breeze. Makes for comfortable temperature here in the capital city. Would say temperatures will reach around 29C (84F) at noon time. In the evening, temperatures are dropping to around 23C (73F)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It's chilly in Santo Domingo this morning. Light drizzle has been falling since the early morning. Light gray clouds cover the skies. Would say it is about 25C (77F).

theorbo

Dec 16, 2004
January Weather in Cabarete

I booked a vacation in Cabarete in the first week of January, and only afterwards learned about the second rainy season of the north coast. How bad is its, one gets different impressions from different site, that it ends in December, that it continues to April, that it mainly rains at night, that when it does rains its only for 30 minutes? So what is the reality, what can I expect at that time.
Thanks

Theorbo

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
theorbo said:
I booked a vacation in Cabarete in the first week of January, and only afterwards learned about the second rainy season of the north coast. How bad is its, one gets different impressions from different site, that it ends in December, that it continues to April, that it mainly rains at night, that when it does rains its only for 30 minutes? So what is the reality, what can I expect at that time.
Thanks

Theorbo

This thread is about weather in Santo Domingo, a four hour drive south of Puerto Plata/Cabarete. Check the Puerto Plata weather thread for weather in that area.

Forget about the weather forecasts you read on international weather sites. Reality is that weather is not predictable anymore. There is no such thing as a rainy season anymore. It now can rain in the dry season, and be dry in the traditional rainy season. That is the price we will pay for global warming. For a general overview of weather in the DR, see http://www.dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

The best source to follow weather in Cabarete is right here posted by Peter & Alex at http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34443

And weather in nearby Puerto Plata is updated courtesy of Planner on DR1 at http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34574

Both are reporting right from those areas, not checking satellite weather data.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
After a gray day of light rains yesterday that looked more like snow was falling, today things are looking better, at least in Santo Domingo.

The skies were overcast gray in the early morning, but as the day advances patches of bright blue with the sun shining are taking over the sky.

The temperature is more at 27C (80F) this morning (10:55 am), but in some areas where the sun is shining brightly, feels more like 29C (84F).