Small Diesel Generator Repair needed

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The fuel pump is on the side of my engine visible when I open the normal service door. The injector is on the top and not visible at all. I can see the pump well, but I cannot see the injector at all. I have removed every bolt I can see and the cover does not lift off. . I will have to drain the fuel somehow, or pinch off the tubes connected to it, since the tank is attached to the cover and see what else is holding the cover on.

Ah yes come to think of it, you're right. *Try cracking that union by the pump and crank it. *If fuel comes out, that's not your problem, but if fuel does not come out, that's the cause of it not running and has an air lock.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Try just cracking the fuel pipe union at the injector and crank it whilst holding the decompression lever. *You should be able to get access to the injector through the door, so you won't have to take the cover off.

You could also try drawing some fuel through using a syringe and some rubber tubing. *I reckon you have an air bubble by the fuel pump.

As I mentioned in the other post, I can see the fuel pump area with its associated run/stop handle, but not the injector area which is hidden from view under the cover. I suspect they put that port on top of the cover to get at the injector easily without the need to remove the cover.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ah yes come to think of it, you're right. *Try cracking that union by the pump and crank it. *If fuel comes out, that's not your problem, but if fuel does not come out, that's the cause of it not running and has an air lock.

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
As I mentioned in the other post, I can see the fuel pump area with its associated run/stop handle, but not the injector area which is hidden from view under the cover. I suspect they put that port on top of the cover to get at the injector easily without the need to remove the cover.

You can see the metal pipe that comes from the pump to the injector. *Loosen the union by the pump and crank it to see if any fuel comes out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Will do on the pump. However, go back to my OP. The tank was full. It ran for an hour and stopped. Something else was wrong that made it stop initially. The fuel filter I replaced had very little dirt in it. Indications are a dirty injector or bad fuel pump from that initial problem.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sounds like Beeza has you covered , esp since he owns one of these units ..
I agree , def is either sucking air or has air in the fuel line somewhere. ( Air lock)
Those injector Lines def need to be properly Bled. and then go from there .

When I change the Fuel filter on my diesel Tractor I have to shut off the Fuel cock before removing the filter ( fuel is coming down by Gravity )
remove and change paper element..
Then when I replace the filter and housing I Leave the Filter housing LOOSE, and OPEN the Fuel Cock to allow it to completely fill the Filter and housing, only THEN do I tighten it.. and I know its 100% full of fuel and Zero Air

But technically if you run it with air in there it would run for a few minutes and then shut off or not run at all

.. no way it should run for an hour, and then have problems but its possible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like Beeza has you covered , esp since he owns one of these units ..
I agree , def is either sucking air or has air in the fuel line somewhere. ( Air lock)
Those injector Lines def need to be properly Bled. and then go from there .

When I change the Fuel filter on my diesel Tractor I have to shut off the Fuel cock before removing the filter ( fuel is coming down by Gravity )
remove and change paper element..
Then when I replace the filter and housing I Leave the Filter housing LOOSE, and OPEN the Fuel Cock to allow it to completely fill the Filter and housing, only THEN do I tighten it.. and I know its 100% full of fuel and Zero Air

But technically if you run it with air in there it would run for a few minutes and then shut off or not run at all

.. no way it should run for an hour, and then have problems but its possible.

Once again. I topped off the fuel tank (it had a lot of fuel and was running fine just a few days before) I ran it for an hour and it stopped. Then I changed the filter. It has yet to run again. The original problem that stopped it is unlikely to be air in the system. I have to get the cover off .

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So you changed the Fuel filter thinking that would solve the engine not running.. correct ?

ok, i got it now..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So you changed the Fuel filter thinking that would solve the engine not running.. correct ?

ok, i got it now..

Correct. But the old filter was not very dirty at all and probably did not need changing.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well since you say you topped off the fuel & THEN RAN it .
I would DRAIN the whole fuel system including the tank, and inspect the Fuel before I would proceed with anything else . if thats not too much trouble. Or just Drain the fuel completely and put in all NEW Fuel.. bleed the lines .. try again with all fresh fuel and see what happens.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well since you say you topped off the fuel & THEN RAN it .
I would DRAIN the whole fuel system including the tank, and inspect the Fuel before I would proceed with anything else . if thats not too much trouble. Or just Drain the fuel completely and put in all NEW Fuel.. bleed the lines .. try again with all fresh fuel and see what happens.

Once I figure out how to get the cover off, I will get a look at the whole fuel system. I need a day without rain to work on it. Something that seems unlikely over the next 40 days and 40 nights.

(One failure mode of this particular engine, which may not be related, is a frequent failure of a rocker arm. My bet is a clogged fuel injector caused it to stop running.)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Use a battery drill with a 10mm socket to take all those cover screws out. There are quite a few. You will also need to undo the electrical panel on the front and pass it inside. The exhaust will have to be removed in order to remove the end plate that supports the cover. Both end plates (the black bits) will need to come off.

Making it nekkid is quite a job!

I would exhaust the trouble shooting on the fuel side before attempting disassembly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had long since removed all of the 10 mm bolts and both end panels and the electrical panel when I was trying to see if a clogged fuel filter might be the reason it stopped. *I did not have to remove anything to do with the exhaust to get that end panel off. But still, there is something holding the top on. *At least it seems that way with me trying to get it off alone. *

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
At least you've got a project. *With all this crap weather, there's nothing else to do!*:bunny:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At least you've got a project. *With all this crap weather, there's nothing else to do!*:bunny:

The problem is, the only place I can work on it is outside. *I normally keep it in an enclosure where it is too small to work on it.*

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
To repeat earlier poster the best first step is examine the fuel. Vast majority of diesel problems is dirty fuel. I bet you have algae, dirt and or water. You get water build up from water condensing out of air in tank from temperature changes. More likely in metal fuel tanks as opposed to fiberglass. Checking the engine should be step 2. *

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It certainly could be a fuel problem. It has only been used about 200 hours in 3 years.

I am unaware of how I could remove all of potentially problematic fuel without getting at the lines that attach to the engine, which are difficult or impossible to reach without getting at the engine.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Get a car battery gives you more cranking power and longer... your injector needs bleeding ...I would suspect water in fuel if you bought diesel recently and current flood conditions ....I have an old belaruis tractor that I abuse...I swear I think this thing runs on mud also....put a bigger battery crank in 5 sec intervals not to fry starter wires from heat have charger handy you might not need crack injector get air out and take noise suppression case off..

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Get a car battery gives you more cranking power and longer... your injector needs bleeding ...I would suspect water in fuel if you bought diesel recently and current flood conditions ....I have an old belaruis tractor that I abuse...I swear I think this thing runs on mud also....put a bigger battery crank in 5 sec intervals not to fry starter wires from heat have charger handy you might not need crack injector get air out and take noise suppression case off..

Bingo, this right here .. thats why we suggested draining the fuel from the Tank and INSPECTING it under the bright sunlight .
but you need to drain all of it..
Or How about pumping the fuel from the line into a container, and Inspect that in a glass jar to start. the bad Fuel should come out first as its sucking from close to or from the bottom.
, if there is water in the fuel. It will visibly separate .