Small Diesel Generator Repair needed

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are lucky the errant nut did no damage. I would consider adding good fuel filter. Glad to hear it's up and running.*

The nut falling off caused a little nick at the very end of the valve. Nothing a little emery paper could not remove.
It does have an in line fuel filter. One tech I spoke to in the US recommended it be for 50 micron. However, everyone sells a generic in line filter for diesels without knowing that specification.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did mention three things to get the engine fired up:

1. Intake

2. Compression/Ignition

3. Combustion

4. Exhaust

Now we know the very first step was kaput.

And to find what it was required taking off almost every bolt in the unit. At least I saw how it was done.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And to find what it was required taking off almost every bolt in the unit. At least I saw how it was done.
What was the secret to removing the cover?

I'm still blown away over a valve adjuster retaining nut coming off. I don't think I've ever heard of such an occurrence, and I've been a gearhead for over 50 years.

Sep 4, 2012
What was the secret to removing the cover?

I'm still blown away over a valve adjuster retaining nut coming off. I don't think I've ever heard of such an occurrence, and I've been a gearhead for over 50 years.

Actually, rack adjustment are common maintenance on Cummings engines.

Sep 4, 2012
I don't consider a nut falling off a valve train on a low-hour diesel as "maintenance."

Obviously it isn't and something failed on the QA and QC process as this generator left the factory. However; rack adjustment a are routine maintenance task conducted on certain diesel engines.