Small Diesel Generator Repair needed

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The fuel was purchased well before the flood conditions. I just slightly topped off the tank of my generator before the last time it was run. But sure, it could still be water in it at any time.

Sep 4, 2012
I have bad fuel right now myself. Same mixture I've stored in the same can to be used with my chain saws. The chain saws both run but very ****y due the contaminated fuel. Fuel was out in the barn for too long.

How old was the fuel in the generator?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I have bad fuel right now myself. Same mixture I've stored in the same can to be used with my chain saws. The chain saws both run but very ****y due the contaminated fuel. Fuel was out in the barn for too long.

How old was the fuel in the generator?

gas and Oil Mix are completely different from Diesel fuel , which is essentially # 2 Fuel Oil.. it does not lose its potency the same way .. can be stored a lot longer ..
Gasoline goes bad in just months , without stabilizer added.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The fuel in my generator is of unknown age, but less than a year.
My small gasoline generator had fuel in it for over a year and started on the first pull.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
His genny diesel...last longer much then gas in DR .. Use fuel stabilizer *for gennys and chain saws not used much ...if You can get your hands on seafoam in DR its great product ..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Generator repaired by Orlando

My generator has been repaired. The problem was not obvious from the outside looking in and not something I would tackle myself having never worked on this type of motor before. The problem was a nut that came loose for a rocker arm controlling the valves. That nut came completely off and fell into the lower part of the engine. Without the valve working, the engine stopped and would never restart.

This repair required the generator portion to be removed and the engine opened once the valve cover was taken off and it was found the nut had fallen off. SERELEC recommended Orlando Plantas to repair it. Orlando charged $100 US for the repair. No new parts were needed, just the removal of a slight burr on the end of one valve so it would slide smoothly. Orlando set the valve adjustment and it started up and is running well. This problem happened at only 150 hours of use.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My generator has been repaired. The problem was not obvious from the outside looking in and not something I would tackle myself having never worked on this type of motor before. The problem was a nut that came loose for a rocker arm controlling the valves. That nut came completely off and fell into the lower part of the engine. Without the valve working, the engine stopped and would never restart.

This repair required the generator portion to be removed and the engine opened once the valve cover was taken off and it was found the nut had fallen off. SERELEC recommended Orlando Plantas to repair it. Orlando charged $100 US for the repair. No new parts were needed, just the removal of a slight burr on the end of one valve so it would slide smoothly. Orlando set the valve adjustment and it started up and is running well. This problem happened at only 150 hours of use.
Great!

But how weird is a loose rocker arm nut?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Great!

But how weird is a loose rocker arm nut?

Must have been like that when it left the factory and it just worked its way off from not being torqued down properly. Lots of bolts needed to be turned to get at it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
that is beyond Weird... so it was the locking Nut that came loose and fell off ? the nut which kept the Adjustment screw ( usually slotted or could be Allen key) in its correct setting ?

honestly I would NOT have guessed this type of scenario.
Kudos to your mechanic for being Methodical and Logical in finding the problem .

Must have been like that when it left the factory and it just worked its way off from not being torqued down properly. Lots of bolts needed to be turned to get at it.
no doubt about it .. not torqued down properly.
The Slotted adjustment screw has to be kept at its setting, while at the same time the Nut is tightened down.
the factory dropped the ball ..
I wonder how many others are out there just like that ..

how many hours on the Engine, and what is the Maintenance Schedule for doing an adjustment on Valve lash. I would guess you are way under that scenario.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The original valve lash adjustment was around this time for the engine. I think it was the nut that locks the adjustment in place. It has less than 150 hours on it. When Orlando adjusted the valve lash, I noticed he did not use the settings originally told to me by the seller. I asked him about that and he explained that our ambient temperature meant the adjustment had to be different to burn cleaner. He would have used the suggested setting if it were water cooled and not air cooled. I will say, it does run cleaner at the setting he made.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The original valve lash adjustment was around this time for the engine. I think it was the nut that locks the adjustment in place. It has less than 150 hours on it. When Orlando adjusted the valve lash, I noticed he did not use the settings originally told to me by the seller. I asked him about that and he explained that our ambient temperature meant the adjustment had to be different to burn cleaner. He would have used the suggested setting if it were water cooled and not air cooled. I will say, it does run cleaner at the setting he made.
Larger gap for more expansion due to increased heat, being air cooled?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Larger gap for more expansion due to increased heat, being air cooled?

i think its the inverse ..

Since there is not a radical difference in operating Temp from " cold" to full operating temp in a tropical setting like the DR, as opposed to like CANADA at below Zero Cold start Temps
, you can therefore probably tighten up the tolerances and not worry about a Valve staying open ( inefficient). So if it calls for .010" intake, you can probably safely go .008" as an example
Assuming the settings are being done while the engine is COLD..

but then again, the AIR Cooled vs Water cooled throws another parameter into the Mix which I am not familiar with, and the Aircooled might be running a LOT hotter than Water cooled ?
however this should not be as drastic as the COLD COLD start in a northern Climate going to full Operating temp vs the Tropical Climate going to Air Cooled " running temps"

I would imagine there is NEVER a Rocker RATTLE sound when they start any Diesels in the DR..

that is strictly a Cold Climate thing.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It is an Apollo AED6500SR which is like many generators from China like the Aurora AGI6800SDE. It has a CF186F single cylinder diesel engine about 440CC which stopped running. I changed the fuel filter, but it might have a dirty injector.

Try a liter of gaz de lampara. The conchos use this to clean the injectors, the diesel is horrible here.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I learned an interesting trick if you can't get a diesel to run. *You spray green Baygon in the intake. *Crank it over and if your engine is intact it will run!

I learned this from a Dominican mechanic.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You are lucky the errant nut did no damage. I would consider adding good fuel filter. Glad to hear it's up and running.*

Sep 4, 2012
I did mention three things to get the engine fired up:

1. Intake

2. Compression/Ignition

3. Combustion

4. Exhaust

Now we know the very first step was kaput.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It was running for about an hour. Then it started to labor for about 10 to 15 seconds and it stopped running.
There is only a simple plastic in line fuel filter. No water separator. It has only about 200 hours total on it over 3 years.
But when I need it, I like to have it.

The problem I have with working on it is that I do not have easy access to the engine. I cannot find a way to get the cover off the unit (it has a shroud) over it. I removed all of the visible bolts holding the cover to the chassis and I still cannot lift it off.

How long has the gas been in the generator. You can try putting some dry gas or gas treatment and then try to start it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long has the gas been in the generator. You can try putting some dry gas or gas treatment and then try to start it.

It was not a problem with the diesel fuel. It was a nut that came loose and fell off from the rocker arm assembly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i think its the inverse ..

Since there is not a radical difference in operating Temp from " cold" to full operating temp in a tropical setting like the DR, as opposed to like CANADA at below Zero Cold start Temps
, you can therefore probably tighten up the tolerances and not worry about a Valve staying open ( inefficient). So if it calls for .010" intake, you can probably safely go .008" as an example
Assuming the settings are being done while the engine is COLD..

but then again, the AIR Cooled vs Water cooled throws another parameter into the Mix which I am not familiar with, and the Aircooled might be running a LOT hotter than Water cooled ?
however this should not be as drastic as the COLD COLD start in a northern Climate going to full Operating temp vs the Tropical Climate going to Air Cooled " running temps"

I would imagine there is NEVER a Rocker RATTLE sound when they start any Diesels in the DR..

that is strictly a Cold Climate thing.

Correct. He used a setting .002" less than the factory spec for setting the valves.