So cold after sundown.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes I love it too. In pictures, postcard, videos, looking at new snow from my window but not so much when I have to go out in it.

At this age I don't think I would ever miss snow, ever!

Me too!! Sleet this morning [almost killed myself walking out of doctor's office this morning, sheet of ice], changed over to snow, ugh. Weather forecasts 16 degrees F tomorrow. Why didn't we leave last month???????

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Anyone else feeling the cold?
I'm in my wooly socks and hoody on the sofa wondering why I still need the fan on. Coldest year I've been in the city. I'm positively frozen!

Well, very cold, almost have to put long pants on!

If it is this cold in the city I can only imagine how cold it is higher up. What's it like mountain dwellers?

You started a thread about this? I thought skynet had issues........

I wish you well my man......

dropshort

May 18, 2008
In the Royal Navy under sail the Gunners mate would have the sailors keep the place neat and tidy.
They would pile the cannon balls up in a tetrahedron. To keep the balls from rolling over the cannon
balls were held in place at the base by a brass ring. The sailors call the brass ring The Monkey.

That is where we got the expression (Wait for it!)

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!

19 is not cold. Cold is -40 with 30 knot wind.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Me too!! Sleet this morning [almost killed myself walking out of doctor's office this morning, sheet of ice], changed over to snow, ugh. Weather forecasts 16 degrees F tomorrow. Why didn't we leave last month???????

years ago snow was the reason why i switched to contact lenses. i used to wear glasses and my option was: to roughly see where ice patches could be but risk having my glasses broken in a fall, should it happen or: take glasses off and just walk blindly. since i walked to and from the uni every day it was rather adventurous. but one day there was a small blizzard and i found that my glasses formed a solid frozen mass with my eyebrows. that day i went to the optician and bough contact lenses.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It's cold, so cold here in Santiago I decide to cover my belly with my son's blanket at night. Other then that I sleep like any other day, with only boxer on.

I do miss snow though, it just feels right whenever it snows at night near Christmas time.
But shoveling it? Driving on it? HELL NO!.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in poland i lived in an apartment block so the janitor would shovel. and i did not have a car. maybe this is why i remember winters fondly :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
years ago snow was the reason why i switched to contact lenses. i used to wear glasses and my option was: to roughly see where ice patches could be but risk having my glasses broken in a fall, should it happen or: take glasses off and just walk blindly. since i walked to and from the uni every day it was rather adventurous. but one day there was a small blizzard and i found that my glasses formed a solid frozen mass with my eyebrows. that day i went to the optician and bough contact lenses.

Not to mention walking into a heated store from the frozen tundra outside - glasses instantly fog over and you can't see a damned thing. I've had contacts since I was 16 years old, and that was one of the reasons. I was one of those odd people who developed cataracts in my 40's, had the surgery and lens implants and voila! No more contacts or glasses.

And for those who don't live in DR:

1456125_565425883533791_138632131_n.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not want surgery to fix myopia, unless other issues come in. my eyesight is really bad and that limits surgery methods. in case it would not work well i would not be able to use contacts again (something about scar tissue) and i am not going back to using glasses again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of course canadians have less concerns about the eyes and more about... other body parts...

14w8042.gif

:) :) :)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Not to mention walking into a heated store from the frozen tundra outside - glasses instantly fog over and you can't see a damned thing. I've had contacts since I was 16 years old, and that was one of the reasons. I was one of those odd people who developed cataracts in my 40's, had the surgery and lens implants and voila! No more contacts or glasses.

And for those who don't live in DR:

View attachment 1394

143 days ???? it's 193

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
this thread makes me sick... -19 celcius right now and ya'll bitching about goosebumps while in the pool... pfff...

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
When I were a lad, me dad'd suck POLO mints and we'd sit round 'is tongue to get warm.

Aye,
Them were the days....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Planning xmas dinner, loads of family round.
My wife said we need soup and salad for a starter, I said not soup its too hot why not a gaspacho. She answered because everyone is cold......
Relativity.....

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Planning xmas dinner, loads of family round.
My wife said we need soup and salad for a starter, I said not soup its too hot why not a gaspacho. She answered because everyone is cold......
Relativity.....
What's up with hot Gaspacho?
Con Mucho cilanthro buen sur...

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
For those who are complaining about the cold weather in the DR, here is your reality check.

At this time there is about 18 inches of snow on the ground in Chicago, and the predicted HIGH for next Monday is -6 F.

May 29, 2006
Currently 5?F here, with sub zero lows last night.. Warming up to the 20s tomorrow. Being inside, it's not the cold so much as the dry air.

mudmommy

Oct 14, 2010
HMMM here in NB, Canada yesteday was -39c with the wind chill, today a balmy -32c with blizzard like conditions because of blowing snow,, sigh,,,

Mudmommy