Sosa watch

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Broken promises

*Welcome* back tonedeaf and miggyfrenetic.

Neither of you could keep your promises to stay away (hard to believe) so again, please keep the discussion along with the topic or I'm calling your doctors directly and we'll have the white van come get you and put you back on the proper dosages.

If you want to start a seperate MFY chest beating thread with the lovable Steve "don't call me ANGRY" Pindar, please do, I'd love to join in.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Sure I welcome dissent too!!! hahahaha!

Still this thread was supposed to be about following our beloved Sammy break 600HR?????!!!!!:lick:

No doubt, Chip. Sammy might be beloved by some, but EVERYBODY knows what he was up to in order to get so close to 600 HRs.

I just believe that he CAN'T be the baseball player to represent the DR. There are more honorable players deserving of that spot. A few much more deserving active players, IMO, would be Pedro, Papi, Soriano, and Vlad.

Sammy's a fraud, point blank. He might reach 600 HRs, but it'll be a hollow 600 HRs. Just like Luis Gonzales' and Brady Anderson's 50 HR yrs or Todd Helton's inflated stats, pre-steriods. Nothing to cheer, no matter how you slice it.

C

Chip00

Chip00 - Miguel says I should continue posting. I will follow his advice.

You seem to love Sammy Sosa. In keeping an open mind, please tell me what you like about him. Maybe I have missed something!

this responds to toneloco as well:

First of all, when and where do we have any proof that Sammy used steriods? We know Barry used it becasue he said he used the "cream". Just because Sammy has gained 50 ponds since he started playing ball means SQUAT. I have never used steriods nor my brother and we have gained 35 to 70 pounds NATURALLY in the same period just going to the gym and lifting weights. Why does nobody realize that all weight and muscular gains DO NOT have to be from steriods??????

If you throw that out you have the bat issue and the day he left early at the last Cubs game and take into account how he treats the fans and his obvious joy of playing the rest is easy. Remember, he was more popular than Macgwire during the HR race. Also, but what about all the HOF pitchers over the years that had used "substances, huh? I believe Sammy when he said it was an accident for the corked bat to be used in a game because I know many Dominicans, live in the DR and know IT IS SOMETHING A DOMINICAN WOULD DO!!!!

I will gladly abandon Sammy if he has proven to have used drugs but just because he "looks" big and some axxhole reporter tried to get him to do a drug test THAT NO ONE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE WOULD DO just doesn't cut it for me fellows - sorry.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and they are welcome to it - I just try to point out a few facts as I see them. I am also interested in the careers of the other players like I said below but what Sammy is doing now is maybe more exciting because he is at the end of his career and in unchartered territory for a hispanic.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
pregunta

what Sammy is doing now is maybe more exciting because he is at the end of his career and in unchartered territory for a hispanic.
What's the "uncharted territory"?

The HRs, or coming back after using steroids for a decade?

C

Chip00

What's the "uncharted territory"?

The HRs, or coming back after using steroids for a decade?

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh brother!!!! I would pull my hair out if I if I had any!!!!!!!!!

Note to self: Send Robert a PM to convince him to add a BAN button!!!!!!!!!!:eek:gre:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mira este baboso.....

*Welcome* back tonedeaf and miggyfrenetic.

Neither of you could keep your promises to stay away (hard to believe) so again, please keep the discussion along with the topic or I'm calling your doctors directly and we'll have the white van come get you and put you back on the proper dosages.

If you want to start a seperate MFY chest beating thread with the lovable Steve "don't call me ANGRY" Pindar, please do, I'd love to join in.
The thing is, CleefyDoinky, that if I leave, you win.

And who are you, other than this forum's part-time moderator, who happens to know very little about REAL baseball and who happens to "appear" every once in a while to "moderate"?. To "moderate" what?, an empty forum?. Wahahahahahaha!.

Besides, we all know this forum needs the "traffic" a person like me, unlike a person like you, brings.

Just "put on your listening ears", read, learn, let the experts "talk" and don't go crying to daddy when things don't go your way.

It's funny you say to start a Yankees thread, are you sure?. Can your heart (jealousy of A-Rod) take it?. You are a funny man, Doinky, real funny.

Anyways, back to a more important matter:

Chip00:

Since it has not been proven that Sousa is a "juicer", I think he will make it to the HOF. When?, who knows. But, as I said before, if McGwire didn't make it on his first try, I don't think Sousa will.

Are you sure it was only 50 pounds he gained?. Schit, maybe the "juice" was not that strong!!. Hahahahaha!.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que chevere....

Chip00 - Miguel says I should continue posting. I will follow his advice.

You seem to love Sammy Sosa. In keeping an open mind, please tell me what you like about him. Maybe I have missed something!
Thanks for the E-mail and thanks for taking my advice.

NOBODY should tell anybody NOT to voice their opinions, just because they don't agree with it. Whomever has a problem with MY OPINION, have 2 choices, 1- take it and 2- like it, because I am not about to change it.

Now, Steve, with all honesty, Sousa HAS helped the DR. He helped with the hurricane relief in 98, also got some schools computers, helped his family with some businesses, etc.

See, MOST Dominican players, when they help, they want the whole world to know about it!!. To them, bragging is "the thing to do". Have you ever seen a Dominican player give something and not make an event out of if?.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Honest question.

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh brother!!!! I would pull my hair out if I if I had any!!!!!!!!!

Note to self: Send Robert a PM to convince him to add a BAN button!!!!!!!!!!:eek:gre:

Just not sure what exactly you're referring to.

Please send Robert that email. I'd be happy to give up my moderatorship to a better individual. Seriously.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Haven't heard about Sammy's largesse.

Now, Steve, with all honesty, Sousa HAS helped the DR. He helped with the hurricane relief in 98, also got some schools computers, helped his family with some businesses, etc.

See, MOST Dominican players, when they help, they want the whole world to know about it!!. To them, bragging is "the thing to do". Have you ever seen a Dominican player give something and not make an event out of if?.
How do you know Sammy lifted a finger? Your belief is contrary to what I've heard. Please elaborate.

This information should be known, otherwise his current reputation for doing zilch is unfair.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Squish

The thing is, CleefyDoinky, that if I leave, you win.

And who are you, other than this forum's part-time moderator, who happens to know very little about REAL baseball and who happens to "appear" every once in a while to "moderate"?. To "moderate" what?, an empty forum?. Wahahahahahaha!.

Besides, we all know this forum needs the "traffic" a person like me, unlike a person like you, brings.

Just "put on your listening ears", read, learn, let the experts "talk" and don't go crying to daddy when things don't go your way.

It's funny you say to start a Yankees thread, are you sure?. Can your heart (jealousy of A-Rod) take it?. You are a funny man, Doinky, real funny.
I wasn't going to respond, and then I found a fly had come into my room through an open window, and the symbolism was too strong not to make mention.

It's the warm season, and just like the flies and gnats that will enter through an open door, so will you. I can try and tell them to leave, for their own good, but they never learn and are crushed with a swatter.

C

Chip00

Just not sure what exactly you're referring to.

Please send Robert that email. I'd be happy to give up my moderatorship to a better individual. Seriously.

Just having some fun buddy - you're doing a good job and if I could just "convert you" to bring you into Sammy's camp you'd be just about perfect!!!!!:)

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I wasn't going to respond, and then I found a fly had come into my room through an open window, and the symbolism was too strong not to make mention.

It's the warm season, and just like the flies and gnats that will enter through an open door, so will you. I can try and tell them to leave, for their own good, but they never learn and are crushed with a swatter.

SNAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!

A gnat with epispadia. SNAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Babosilandia......

Yes, I know such flies. Those are the flies that really do not give a crap about about being crushed because they are much stronger than the "crusher" and by the time the "crusher" tries to crush them, they end-up crushing the pathetic "crusher" first.

Now, stop sounding like Tony Fernandez when he was about to get hit by a pitch. If you don't know the sound he made, let me know and I will tell you.

Now, let me answer your previous question:

Are you serious?. Do you watch the news or any sport programs at all?. Do you ever leave your house?.

Are you telling me you didn't know Sousa donated (with some help, I may add) a ton of computers to poor schools in the DR?. Or that he helped with the hurricane relief?. Or that he helps poor people in the city where he grew-up?. Hey Doinky, it's old news.

Come on man, you are supposed to be this forum moderator (part-time), so get on with the program and start reading Dominican newspapers and start watching Dominican TV. After all, this forum's name is "Dominican Baseball".

I am not saying the guy spend hundreds of millions helping people in the DR, all I am saying is that he has helped.

But, as with people with money, SOME always think they don't give enough!!.

ETA:

Opps, se escapo el poco hombre, wahahahahahaha!!.

Last edited:
sorry

Are you telling me you didn't know Sousa donated (with some help, I may add) a ton of computers to poor schools in the DR?. Or that he helped with the hurricane relief?. Or that he helps poor people in the city where he grew-up?. Hey Doinky, it's old news.

Miguel - regarding your post to Cleef above - sorry to say that what you wrote isn't totally accurate. Sammy's foundation did assist with hurricane relief in 1998, and may have supplied some computers to schools in the DR, but he doesn't help poor people in the city where he grew up - San Pedro de Macoris. His foundation folded many years ago. Also, the Plaza 30/30 in San Pedro, where Sammy's Foundation was located, and also contained a medical clinic, and is where Sammy's sister had a hair salon, was sold many years ago. You're right in saying that Sammy did help the poor dominicans in San Pedro, but it's all past tense. He hasn't done anything there for years. There are several dominican players who assist the less fortunate for the right reason - because it's the right thing to do (Pedro Martinez, Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Luis Castillo, etc.), but Sammy isn't one of them.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Only responding to reasonable people here.

Okay, since you brought up Barry Bonds, NOT THAT I CARE FOR THE DUDE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, but a few of facts. He had a Hall of Fame worthy career PRIOR to steroids. I mean, he'd won MVP 3 times and 7 Gold Gloves PRIOR to steroids. One of the top 3 dominant players during the 1990s. Can you dispute that?

The same CANNOT be said for McGuire nor Sosa. The steroids made them both Sosa and McGuire news-worthy. Therefore, you cannot compared either McGuire or Sosa to him. Bonds was already a great player and Hall of Fame bound, whether you or I like him or not.

To be clear, what exactly was Sosa's career prior to steroids? And WE KNOW he used them. Let's not play the "alleged" game. I don't think you're that slow.

Then the dude gets busted in a nationally-televised game with a loaded bat??? You can't throw that out. We ALL saw it. What's to doubt?

The cake for me is when he shows up at US Congress and plays the "me no speaky English" "me no entiendo" game.

Might've been funny, but that's the class of character to whom you're trying to give the benefit of the doubt. His 600 HRs are completely a sham since 300+ of them were while he was steroided up between 1998-2003. There's nothing to celebrate. There's a major credibility gap for Sosa.

If I were Dominican, I'd look to Big Papi, Pedro, Soriano, Vlad, etc. first for national pride rather than this loser.

this responds to toneloco as well:

First of all, when and where do we have any proof that Sammy used steriods? We know Barry used it becasue he said he used the "cream". Just because Sammy has gained 50 ponds since he started playing ball means SQUAT. I have never used steriods nor my brother and we have gained 35 to 70 pounds NATURALLY in the same period just going to the gym and lifting weights. Why does nobody realize that all weight and muscular gains DO NOT have to be from steriods??????

If you throw that out you have the bat issue and the day he left early at the last Cubs game and take into account how he treats the fans and his obvious joy of playing the rest is easy. Remember, he was more popular than Macgwire during the HR race. Also, but what about all the HOF pitchers over the years that had used "substances, huh? I believe Sammy when he said it was an accident for the corked bat to be used in a game because I know many Dominicans, live in the DR and know IT IS SOMETHING A DOMINICAN WOULD DO!!!!

I will gladly abandon Sammy if he has proven to have used drugs but just because he "looks" big and some axxhole reporter tried to get him to do a drug test THAT NO ONE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE WOULD DO just doesn't cut it for me fellows - sorry.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and they are welcome to it - I just try to point out a few facts as I see them. I am also interested in the careers of the other players like I said below but what Sammy is doing now is maybe more exciting because he is at the end of his career and in unchartered territory for a hispanic.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Wow, Tonedeaf got a hearing aid.

Okay, since you brought up Barry Bonds, NOT THAT I CARE FOR THE DUDE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, but a few of facts. He had a Hall of Fame worthy career PRIOR to steroids. I mean, he'd won MVP 3 times and 7 Gold Gloves PRIOR to steroids. One of the top 3 dominant players during the 1990s. Can you dispute that?

The same CANNOT be said for McGuire nor Sosa. The steroids made them both Sosa and McGuire news-worthy. Therefore, you cannot compared either McGuire or Sosa to him. Bonds was already a great player and Hall of Fame bound, whether you or I like him or not.

To be clear, what exactly was Sosa's career prior to steroids? And WE KNOW he used them. Let's not play the "alleged" game. I don't think you're that slow.

Then the dude gets busted in a nationally-televised game with a loaded bat??? You can't throw that out. We ALL saw it. What's to doubt?

The cake for me is when he shows up at US Congress and plays the "me no speaky English" "me no entiendo" game.

Might've been funny, but that's the class of character to whom you're trying to give the benefit of the doubt. His 600 HRs are completely a sham since 300+ of them were while he was steroided up between 1998-2003. There's nothing to celebrate. There's a major credibility gap for Sosa.

If I were Dominican, I'd look to Big Papi, Pedro, Soriano, Vlad, etc. first for national pride rather than this loser.
Spot on, my prickly friend (and thanks for calling me reasonable).

The HOF is a strange thing, but I agree Bonds was HOF before the grossly enlarged head and the gargantuan backside. Unfortunately you don't see as much of his Pittsburgh days as you should, he was a very different player then; the highlights were cutting the ball off in the gap and hosing runners, stealing bases, gap shots. Now all anyone recognizes him for is HRs. A product of the environment.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que triste estoy......

Just responding to reasonable people, CONTRA Toney, I thought you liked me, wahahahahahahahaha!!.

You are right, Bonds, IN MY OPINION, was HOF-bound before the steroids "thingie". Although no one knows when he started taking them.

Also, I believe he will make it on his first try.

Sousa, yes, the Sousa who all of a sudden forgot how to speak English, is a different "monster". Just remember how long Juan Marichal had to wait (Ok, he hit Rosenboro with a bat) and Orlando Cepada (ok, he got caught, AGAIN, last week for drugs).

ALL I know is that if McGwire didn't make it on his first year of eligibility, I am certain Sousa will not make it either.

But, I may add, I've seen worse things happen.

Steve:

All I was trying to do was tell someone that Sousa has (past or present) helped in the DR.

Hey Toney, don't be too quick to throw Ortiz's name out there, just yet, as one of the "nice guys".

He said today that MAYBE he used "juice" in the DR.

He said that he used to drink something in the DR that is NOW banned by MLB, before he was a Big Leaguer.

He also said that if he did, he was not aware of it.

I just hope that he is not saying this because some rumors are about to start. I hope not because I think he is very good for baseball, and indeed one of the good guys.

Let's wait and see!.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
No worries Migs, you're alright in my book

RE: Bonds. Everybody knows that he was HOF-bound prior to the roids, not just you and I. See that's why his HOF case will be very compelling when the time comes. Sosa? Get real. We saw how Mcguire got treated, and rightfully so. Bonds will get in 1st ballot, or the place is a sham.

RE: Ortiz. Notice that I didn't comment on that story. HE put himself out there, from his own mouth. No one else has touched his words yet. LOL!!! I'm hoping he didn't. I respect the dude and the way he carries himself. Would be a crying shame.....

Just responding to reasonable people, CONTRA Toney, I thought you liked me, wahahahahahahahaha!!.

You are right, Bonds, IN MY OPINION, was HOF-bound before the steroids "thingie". Although no one knows when he started taking them.

Also, I believe he will make it on his first try.

Sousa, yes, the Sousa who all of a sudden forgot how to speak English, is a different "monster". Just remember how long Juan Marichal had to wait (Ok, he hit Rosenboro with a bat) and Orlando Cepada (ok, he got caught, AGAIN, last week for drugs).

ALL I know is that if McGwire didn't make it on his first year of eligibility, I am certain Sousa will not make it either.

But, I may add, I've seen worse things happen.

Steve:

All I was trying to do was tell someone that Sousa has (past or present) helped in the DR.

Hey Toney, don't be too quick to throw Ortiz's name out there, just yet, as one of the "nice guys".

He said today that MAYBE he used "juice" in the DR.

He said that he used to drink something in the DR that is NOW banned by MLB, before he was a Big Leaguer.

He also said that if he did, he was not aware of it.

I just hope that he is not saying this because some rumors are about to start. I hope not because I think he is very good for baseball, and indeed one of the good guys.

Let's wait and see!.