Sun, Sand and Sex

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
It seems there are no males in DR under fifty, or females over seventeen. I am always amused when sexual titillation masquerades as Moral Outrage. Crusades like this end up promoting what they allegedly condemn. As mentioned above, all the pedophiles in Canada are probably packing their bags right now.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Victor Laszlo said:
It seems there are no males in DR under fifty, or females over seventeen. I am always amused when sexual titillation masquerades as Moral Outrage. Crusades like this end up promoting what they allegedly condemn. As mentioned above, all the pedophiles in Canada are probably packing their bags right now.

Only Canadians?

BTW your Nic (Victor Laszlo) gives away your age. :glasses:

Joe

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Darn!

This is all the DR needs, a person with an agenda promoting what's is already a big problem in the DR. He wrote for the Toronto Sun or the National Inquirer?.

Shame on him. People DO know that even bad publicity is good publicity and I can just see one of those "SICKOS" already packing his bags and going to "sex heaven".

I also sent an e-mail to that "journalist wanna-be" and so far no response!!.
I was nice about it but asked him a whole bunch of "nice" questions. Let's see if he answers them!!.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I hope our Canadian ladies are reading Part 2 of the story. Kind of tells you why we have so many postings. Read what this guy Moreno says about romancing older ladies. Older could be 29, he's only 17. :nervous:

So are we waiting for Jose Rodriguez to reply? Let me know what you all would like me to do.

Thanks

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
MrMike said:
Yes but he specifically asked for a 15 year old, that's soliciting whether he got one or not. And if I skimmed his article correctly, later offered to take the underage girl out for a beer. Whoever he ended up with claimed to be 18, or so he says, but does he have copies of their ID on file? I doubt it.

Just read it again more carefully, this man exposed himself to a girl he claimed appeared underaged and gave money to several such young girls to encourage them to hang out with him and his companion in places where alcoholic beverages are consumed.
What bugs me is not so much the subject he has chosen, of which I must confess I know little about, specially since I have never lived in a 'tourist town'. But when making my mind on issues I try to do so armed with reliable information, always been critical of the source. Unfortunately not everybody does that. Some people believe whatever they read, even when it comes from such beacons of journalistic ethics as The Sun, National Enquirer and this newspaper.

When you decide to forego the usual 'Did Michael Jackson nose fall off?', or 'Does Elvis live in Thailand?' themes, and you choose a subject that can harm the reputation of an entire country, the least you can do is make sure you passed 'Journalism 101' and read 'Investigative Reporting for Dummies'. Even in our site we have better journalistic standards. A tale of a trip to D.R., and using characters of questionable repute as your source does not good reporting make.

Where the hell are the numbers? The official stance? Interviews with CONANI? Somehow I can't picture Bob Woodward wagging his wee-wee in front an alleged underage prostitute.

A Pulitzer he won't get.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Anna Coniglio said:
I hope our Canadian ladies are reading Part 2 of the story. Kind of tells you why we have so many postings. Read what this guy Moreno says about romancing older ladies. Older could be 29, he's only 17. :nervous:
I be damned if he's 17!

If you go around hinting that what you want is sex with underage girls you WILL find alleged underage girls willing to do it. Hell, these 'pimps' would probably dress their grandmother in a school uniform and try to sell her.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
CyaBye3015 said:
BTW your Nic (Victor Laszlo) gives away your age. :glasses:

Joe

Like I said, no males under 50. Actually, I am a 15 yo chica who also happens to be a classic film buff. I just wish that Creepy "writer" guy would stop bothering me.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Victor Laszlo said:
Like I said, no males under 50. Actually, I am a 15 yo chica who also happens to be a classic film buff. I just wish that Creepy "writer" guy would stop bothering me.

Victor Laszlo,

It's my favorite movie of all times, it's nice to know some young people enjoy the classics.

Joe

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Hitting the nail on the Head and going right though the rotten piece of wood. . . .

Robert said:
The article was just another example of how the media go out of their way to sell newspapers. How cares about facts or the truth?

I personally get sick and tired of these BS reporters that spend a few days in the DR and all of a sudden become experts. What's worse are the ones that spend a few hours on the Internet surfing for stories and never actual come here. They rank right up there with the tourists that are also "arm chair" experts.

More holes than swiss cheese...

you have got to be kidding me, I mean do you all have split personalities.
Read Criss C from start of 2003 and you'll see him and a load of oter posters bragging about what Jose R. editorializes as a serious problem.

I mean make your point, between what he says and what you say where is that "Oh he is Oh so wrong " difference. Criss use to brag about his Whore Mongering . . . well let's just say his adventures, and how he could turn a girl into a Nympho for $10 (I'm probably being generous here on the amount).

I agree 10 years back it was worst and it is better now, but so what, you still see it, yes there are pleanty of rich people but the poor are there also. It's nice to think that it's not about the money, but sometimes your so deep in it so long that you don't smell what your wallowing in.

Money corrupts, and AZB will tell you that any man from the North with a girl freind on the North coast is dealing with a prostitue, I mean unless AZB became a born again Christian and joined a monkdom he will back me up on this.

I know the article focusus on child prostitution, but if you need money to eat, are you going to say your 15?

Let's admit there is a problem, that's the first step to solving it.

-Lee

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yeah, and tap water is still not potable. :rolleyes:

You can tell the difference between legal prostitution and underage prostitution and child molestation. Please tell me you do.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
ltsnyder said:
Read Criss C from start of 2003 and you'll see him and a load of oter posters bragging about what Jose R. editorializes as a serious problem.

I mean make your point, between what he says and what you say where is that "Oh he is Oh so wrong " difference. Criss use to brag about his Whore Mongering . . . well let's just say his adventures, and how he could turn a girl into a Nympho for $10 (I'm probably being generous here on the amount).

I agree 10 years back it was worst and it is better now, but so what, you still see it, yes there are pleanty of rich people but the poor are there also. It's nice to think that it's not about the money, but sometimes your so deep in it so long that you don't smell what your wallowing in.

Money corrupts, and AZB will tell you that any man from the North with a girl freind on the North coast is dealing with a prostitue, I mean unless AZB became a born again Christian and joined a monkdom he will back me up on this.

I know the article focusus on child prostitution, but if you need money to eat, are you going to say your 15?

-Lee

The difference is CC does not pass himself off as a journalist or make his living pretending to accurately portray anything. Also nobody takes him seriously and as far as I can tell.

And I disagree that there is a "serious problem". When you have drinking you are going to have some underage drinking. When you have smoking, you may have underage smokers. So why would it be any different for prostitution?

Do you think prostitution should be illegal in the DR? Do you think that would stop it from happenning? Kind of like the way drugs are illegal so no one uses them? Or maybe like the way theft is illegal so no one steals.

Prostitution is a response to living conditions that are not ideal. If these girls had something better to do with their time they would. If they had more dignity they might explore more options before deciding to sell themselves. At worst, prostitution is a symptom rather than a problem. And exploiting symptoms the way this reporter is doing is not helping anyone but the reporter.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sensationalism is as sensationalism does.
This reporter might be prostituting himself just to get a story and earn a living.
It's all about what limits your integrity has, especially in a country where there is an economy and you can choose how much education you can stand.
But faced with the situation of having food on the table, for your whole family in many cases, well, lots of people go to el Norte. The land of opportunity.
When you are land locked, and can't get off the island, and have very few resources, you have to be resourceful. At least that's what it seems to have become. The people of el Norte are willing to go to you.
You have a nice body, youth, and willing customers with discretionary income to spend, why not? We all make choices in this life.
I think the reporter's original topic was, why go all the way to Thailand, when it's available right in your own back yard?
mkohn

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well shame on him and bla bla, but the problem is he is doing real damage to the DR in the following manner:

By giving it the image of a sex-haven for perverted low-budget tourists, he will attract low class pedophiles to the DR, which will encourage oportunists willing to cater to them, which will repulse mainstream tourists, which will damage the economy, which will drive more Dominicans to prostitution, which will attract more perverts etc.

I am not kidding when I say that someone who knows the Canadian system should see if he can be hassled legally.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think the age of consent in Canada is 14 but that could be with others under 18. Not sure. As low down as this all sounds it's not the first time an article like this has been written.

I think we are feeding it by all this attention and you can be sure you'll now be able to find through google. Punch in any topic and DR1 comes up.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I just spoke with the Guelph Police Station and if it's a question of legality the age of consent is 14. Unless the accused is a person of authority such as a teacher, den mother, employer ect.

He also gave me the section to read on the net. It's a s clear as mud to me but you read it.

Section 150

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ltsnyder said:
-Lee
Sorry dude. You missed the point somewhere.
This journalist is NOT telling it like it is.
We all know there is prostitution. We weren't born yesterday.
If you can't see that what he wrote is inaccurate and damaging, then you need to reread all the posts one more time.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Here's the latest install of the continuing saga. If you ask me the real story here is how this other foreigner is taking his 13 year old son to the whorehouse. I couldn't find part 3.

Here it is: Part 4

bobbytbird

Apr 25, 2003
www.caribholiday.net
Response to Sun Articles - Letter To The Editor

I live in Calgary and sent the following 'Letter to the Editor' to the Calgary Sun this morning.

"I generally enjoy the Sun newspaper but your articles on the Dominican Republic show a complete disregard for balanced reporting. Yes, there are Canadian reprobates in the DR and a side of society that caters to their needs. But a few Canadian reprobates can be found living on the fringes of any society in any country - and including any city in Canada. I own a house in the DR and vacation there in the winter - as do many Canadians. Your reporter, (giving him by that name the benefit of the doubt) is generally factual in what he presents but by not balancing the seedy story with the reality of the society as a whole, he provides a very distorted view. For example, when a typical Dominican young lady in her teens goes on a date, a chaperone is generally required; a tradition that bespeaks a very different society than the one dimension portrayed in your articles. We decided to buy a winter home in the DR in large part because of the people who collectively are happy with their circumstance, are not resentful of foreigners with more money than they have, and who recognize happiness results from other than wealth and position. The people we know are not the people you describe. Playa Dorada, a series of all inclusive resorts located a few miles from where your reporter is writing his stories is the single largest tourist resort in the
Caribbean. There is no doubt that many tourists do not experience the real DR and stay in the plastic environments constructed by the resorts, but with the hundreds of thousands coming every year - many repeat customers, and my seeing first hand the thousands of tourists walking around Sosua, Cabarete, and Puerto Plata, there are many who do see the 'real DR'. Surely, if your reporter was providing an accurate picture, the tourist industry would be dying rather than expanding exponentially. Unless of course he wants to argue that those hundreds of thousands of tourists from Canada, the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands, the USA, and elsewhere are all 'dirty old men' looking for some cheap under age sex. That argument if he presented it, would not be at odds with what has been presented so far in your seven part series."

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I suspect this series of articles were written long prior to the "reporter" ever visiting the DR. The only reason for him to visit the DR was to complete his report, filling in a few blanks etc. Just MHO.

Joe