Sun, Sand and Sex

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
suarezn said:
Here's the latest install of the continuing saga. If you ask me the real story here is how this other foreigner is taking his 13 year old son to the whorehouse. I couldn't find part 3.

Here it is: Part 4

Wow, it gets worst. He has now taken to referring to every prostitute as a "young girl." This has got to be the worst investigative piece I have ever read. Jose Rodriguez discovers prostitution, alert the authorities.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i found it in the online Winnipeg Sun. Part 3

more of the same crap, they went out for drinks and looked for prostitutes. and to think there are only 3 more parts.

bobbytbird, thanks for sending your letter in. i do hope it is published.

mob

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I must have laid on Sosua beach and Cabarete beach a combined 50 times and have yet to be approached by one of these "pimps". Actually, I have never seen a "pimp" in the DR. I see plenty of girls prostituting THEMSELVES in the bars at night. Some are probably undergage but they are definately doing it on their own and not being "peddled" by pimps or family members. None of them appear to be starving either so I doubt they really "need" the money. Then again, I guess all girls "need" extra money for hair salons, clothes, make-up, cellphones, beer etc...

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I agree with whoever said that all this article does is attract pedophiles and give the DR a bad rep.

Some people will believe any slop you feed them.

Larry

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
You guys have got to be shtting me . . . be serious . .

I get on a Motoconcho to go into POP at night and the Motoconcho driver tries to fix me up with a prostitute. Long Beach is known for what it is known for, let's be serious.

As far as a balanced picture, this is not a court of law, it is a report on a problem, plain and simple. Do you not believe that if you walked along Long Beach sidewalk on a Saterday night that not one but 5 woman at least would be chanting the mantra of "come here mi amor" . If you think it is anything other than what it is, please go there.

And for all thoes here closing thier eyes and clicking thier heels as the say "I wish it would go away, I wish it would go away, I wish it would go away. . . "

NEWS FLASH: You are not helping or addressing the situation.

And one more thing, this is no secret, doubt me? look at Criss Colons, AZB's , Roberts post about how nice the women are in DR, and all the ongoing discussion about "meeting" some one at Boca Chica or Sosua.

I'm constantly reminded of the Americans that believe that if you "Support your troops" you must allowed them to be sent to hell with no hope of redemtion. This won't go away by ignoring it, and to say some one is bad because thay pointed out the moutain high boil of prostitution that exists in the DR and the mear act of pointing it out is distructive is . . . ridiculous.

This problem needs to be faced, and there is no easy solution.

-Lee

PS: Prostitution is everywhere and it is also a growing problem in the US too, but pointing fingers away should not be the act of those closest to the problem.

and one more thing . . . let me wisper it in your ear . . .

the problem of prostituion in the DR is no secret . . . face it , don't blame thoes who talk about it.

I've notice more than once, that Anna would rather close a thread than talk about this issue and she feels silence is the best medicine.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
LT: I don't think anyone is saying there's no prostitution in The DR, but it is definitely not Thailand or even close. In addition he's making it seem like there are underage girls being sold (even by their parents) everywhere. Have you been offered sex with underage girls? I'm sure it happens, but I can't say that I've seen it.
In addition I've been to Boca Chia, Sosua and many other beaches and I've never been approached about sex by any prostitute...Then again I don't go looking for it.
Reports like this hurts The DR a lot. By not presenting the other side of the coin it gives a very one sided view of what's tourism is like in The DR. The vast majority of tourists that visit The DR, including Puerto Plata, are families looking for some clean fun. Would you take your family on vacation to Phucket, Thailand when you know the reputation it has?
I have yet to see in his reports where he was able to procure or even see an underage prostitute...

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
And? There is no prostitution and disease in Toronto or anywhere else for that matter? I live in a small town here in New York (as well as Sosua) and there is prostitution and all of the bad things associated with it here. So, you found out there is the same social ills in the Dominican Republic as the rest of the world and decided to post it. Are you preaching to the church or to the choir? Look, many Dominican people live here and ex-pats come to the Dominican Republic for a good clean life running businesses and raising familes and not just sun, sand and sex. You are bringing up a subject that can be raised anywhere in the world and NOT just the Dominican Republic. If you decide to stomach the Dominican Republic again try looking about 5 miles from the beach you stayed on and you will see that a vast majority of this wonderful country and it's people are alot different then your ill thought claim aimed at the Dominican people and the ex-pats living there. I do understand your concern but it is way off base and really not appreciated.

Scotty

lilcanadiangal said:
I read this article today in Toronto?s Sunday Sun (Sept 12/04) and thought that I would share it with the other people on dr1. Since joining this site a few months ago and actually seeing this in the Dominican Republic during my four months there, I have read an incredible amount of things about prostitution on this site. For that reason, hopefully the men out there who are engaging in these activities will read this article first and think about it twice. Also, perhaps it can be an eye opener for the rest of us who don?t realize how serious the problem is.

Sun, Sand and Sex.
Exclusive Series ? Part 1 of 6
By Jose Rodriguez

Deleted due to copyright

Although I did personally see prostitutes on the streets and in the bars of Puerto Plata, I found it very difficult to understand the degree of prostitution that actually takes place. It wasn't until some time after I arrived that I realized it was common practice even for the Domincans to have had many prostitutes. (I'm not saying all of them) I also never realized that AIDS was so common there either until maybe a good 3 and a half months into my trip when I heard some other extranjeras talking about it. I guess this article kind of puts things into perspective for me and has helped me realize the seriousness of the problem, since so many children are involved. (Which I didn't see when I was there)

lilcanadiangal

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't see prostitution as a problem!

If a woman wants to sell her body for sex,thats up to her.If no one is being forced to do something against their will,where's the problem!All the women I have met in the DR ,who are selling themselves, are doing so because the money is good,and they are to lazy to get a real job.

When I first came here in the late "80s",and into the "90s",the majority of the girls were 16 to 18 years old.Now they are 18 and "over",some "Way Over"!You hardly ever used to see a girl over 21 working in a club,or "House"!

Please spare me all the stories of young girls forced into prostitution because of economic pressure! Not true! There may be some really nice girls working the trade,but they have one thing in common,they are all lazy!For the most part,they blow their money,among "other" things!!!! ;) :nervous: :eek: cccccccccccccc

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Does every one argee with Criss that Prostitution is not a problem?

Robert?
AZB?
Anna?
Pib?

Please weigh in on that comment.
I'm interested in how you will clarify what Criss has said.

Again, that article is not part of a trial, if you think the article conved the impression that there are no good people or places to vacation in the DR, or that he was he just found it and was not seeking it out. Well we all know the DR is a nice place with some problems we are all aware of, and some we are not aware of.

-Lee

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
bobbytbird said:
I live in Calgary and sent the following 'Letter to the Editor' to the Calgary Sun this morning.

"I generally enjoy the Sun newspaper but your articles on the Dominican Republic show a complete disregard for balanced reporting.[...]

There is something that people really should know. Haven't you wondered why there are so many caba?as? Does anybody believe these are just cheap hotels for tourists? That's where Dominicans go with "la otra" or just a hooker. And please keep in mind that it's more "la otra" then a hooker that is paid for sex. The latin society works different than western society. There is a lot of hypocrisy and all these well-mannerd and friendly wealthy people are typically the worst persons when it comes to what they do in the back of their wife. Why do so many latin men have that many kids - most of them unrecognized?

It's not the foreign tourist. It's not some misunderstanding from a bad reporter. It's their own people. And it's a large amount of chicas willing to sleep them above the latter to a better life. It's easy to see it. The only condition is: open your eyes and leave behind your american/canadian or european thinking.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
ltsnyder said:
the problem of prostituion in the DR is no secret . . . face it , don't blame thoes who talk about this issue.

No one is denying that prostitution and sex tourism exist in the DR. However, the article promised an expos? where "Sun Media writer Jose Rodriguez and photographer Brendon Dlouhy go undercover and investigate the child prostitution problem plaguing the Dominican Republic" and compares DR to southeast Asia as far child prostitution is concerned. Yet the article thus far contains nothing to reflect that assertion. Abitrarily referring to an adult prostitute in a hooker bar as "young girl" or merely saying the prostitute looks seventeen is not uncovering child prostitution. When people talk about child prostitution as it occur in places such as southeast Asia or in Costa Rica they are talking about having sex with prepubescent children. Some sexual active 16 or 17 year old ,who probably already has a kid, that lies about her age to turm pro early is not an example of child prostitution.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
ltsnyder said:
Robert?
AZB?
Anna?
Pib?

Please weigh in on that comment.
I'm interested in how you will clarify what Criss has said.

Again, that article is not part of a trial, if you think the article conved the impression that there are no good people or places to vacation in the DR, or that he was he just found it and was not seeking it out. Well we all know the DR is a nice place with some problems we are all aware of, and some we are not aware of.

-Lee

I agree that it is NOT a "problem". I don't think anyone is "forced" into it. It appears to me as a tourist and on the outside looking in in general that girls selling thier bodies for the most part is an accepted part of the culture. I am not saying that everyone agrees that is it right or respectable, but it is widespread. Now, how do you see it as being a "problem"? You may have a moral or a health issue with it and that is your buisness. However, these girls are selling sex because they want easy money. They make a choice. I don't see how that eqates into a "problem" that everyone thinks they can solve.

Larry

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
xamaicano said:
[...]Some sexual active 16 or 17 year old ,who probably already has a kid, that lies about her age to turm pro early is not an example of child prostitution.

You are so right! There are so many 18/19 year old girls with 2 or 3 year old kids. These girls typically have been made pregnant by a Dominican that dumbed them by the time he learned about their pregnancy.

And it's true as well that the majority of these girls do NOT WANT to work. They are pretty, know it and seek a wealthy, hard-working husband that takes care of their needs.

You might find it strange that they turn to become a working girl in order to find that wealthy husband. But that's how their mind does work. They do not think quite logically...

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Larry said:
I agree that it is NOT a "problem". I don't think anyone is "forced" into it. It appears to me as a tourist and on the outside looking in in general that girls selling thier bodies for the most part is an accepted part of the culture. [...]
Sounds strange, but it's correct. There is a culture of "la otra". Most latin men have one or more girls on the side. Most of these girls try to win the husband of the other woman over. There is money involved. But it's not a payment for sex. It is considered some "help" or a "gift".

Latin society is different.

jayt122

Sep 14, 2004
I've been reading this and I had to say something.

I live in New York and I've visited the DR 3 times a year for the last 2yrs. Ofcourse I be lieing if sad I did not see protitution going on at same time I see it here in the good old USA, and no that does not make it right but that's what happens when people are in a situation where they have mouth's to feed, and in the case of the US a habit to feed. I know most people won't believed this but I never been a proach by a pimp nor have I've seen pedophiles picking up kids believe me If I saw such a thing I would make some noise and hope to ambarass that person. I have not read nor do I intend to read the collum that has been discuss. However I will will let you in on a little secret there is so much more to the DR. I believe if we all do allitle something to help our fellow man the situation will get better.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
locofoto said:
Sounds strange, but it's correct. There is a culture of "la otra". Most latin men have one or more girls on the side. Most of these girls try to win the husband of the other woman over. There is money involved. But it's not a payment for sex. It is considered some "help" or a "gift".

Latin society is different.

This is not strictly a Latin phenomenon by any means, money is always a factor in sex, relationships and marriage. Whether it's using expensive cars and clothing to attract the opposite sex or wanting to appear financially stable so as not to give the impression that you will be a burden financially in a relationship. Actual prostitution is only the bottom of the totem. In more polite society the amounts are only larger and the transactions more professionally mis-labeled. i.e. alimony, divorce settlement, etc.

jayt122

Sep 14, 2004
MrMike said:
This is not strictly a Latin phenomenon by any means, money is always a factor in sex, relationships and marriage. Whether it's using expensive cars and clothing to attract the opposite sex or wanting to appear financially stable so as not to give the impression that you will be a burden financially in a relationship. Actual prostitution is only the bottom of the totem. In more polite society the amounts are only larger and the transactions more professionally mis-labeled. i.e. alimony, divorce settlement, etc.

Mrmike you are so right, so many people fail to see that

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Locofoto: Not sure I follow what you're saying...This culture of having Otra (another) on the side, even though I agree with you that's pretty common, has nothing to do with prostitution and even less to do with child prostitution. Cabanas...Yes there are a lot of them, but anyone that understand a little bit about The Dominican culture knows why this is. In The DR a "respectable" girl will go with you if she likes you, but she most likely does not want to be seen going to your place, because of what people may think of her. Thus the existance of Cabanas, where you drive in, shut the door behind you and no one knows you were ever there. Obviously this is not all they are used for, but it is the majority.
Xamaicano: Good post...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Remember, we are not talking about crack heads or sex slaves, it?s very different in the DR to some parts of the world. Unfortunately, most people reading this board really don?t have a clue how it works, as they are either casual tourists or have never been exposed to it. Their ?first world? moral values, combined with their lack of cultural understanding, cloud their views. This is also true of some journalists!

Locofoto has done a pretty good job of how things work in the DR. CC is a little more in your face, but accurate.

Prostitution involving tourists is nothing compared to prostitution involving Dominicans. As has been said, you only have to look at the amount of 13-16yr olds that have kids. My guess would be that 99% of these kids have Dominican fathers.

At the end of the day, the articles have sensationalized prostitution in the DR, for the worse.

Nothing has been exposed, as the writer has no idea about the culture behind prostitution in the DR. It?s just been great mental masturbation material for some Pedophiles and a reason to book a flight for others.