Teaching Salaries

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Hi! 

I was speaking to an administrator about teaching at Santiago Christian School. It is a beautiful campus, and they do require a Bachelors and some teaching experience I believe. I know that they do pay a higher amount than Jarabacoa Christian School (where I will teach in the fall) but they do require a 2 year commitment from most US teachers. JCS provides insurance and some benefits like cheap housing and gym memberships, which SCS probably has as well. 

It will not be similar to a US teachers salary, but it is a livable wage and you may be able to save a bit each month. You can supplement your income with individual tutoring to students or helping to teach English in a language center in the city. 

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
After teaching in Canada for 10 years, I began my search in 2014-2015 to teach internationally.  Generally speaking, Latin America and the Caribbean are not highly sought after locations for international teaching because they do not pay as well.  There are exceptions of course, and usually each country or island will have a school or two that pays more. So if you go to Costa Rica or Jamaica to teach, it's more for the lifestyle and experience than your pocketbook.  The same is true for the DR.  
My info. is mostly from 2015, but I would guess things haven't changed substantially. Carol Morgan was the highest paying school in the DR.  Others with higher salaries would include St. Michaels, St. George, and the International School of Sosua.  Punta Cana International School and Cap Cana Heritage School also paid more. These schools all offer typical international teaching packages, such as your flight at the beginning and end of the contract, an apartment, and health insurance. Some offer different perks like discounts at the local supermarket or (as mentioned) gym memberships. None of them except Carol Morgan offered a moving or settling in allowance when I had received offers of employment.
For up to date, accurate information, teachers can register with two international recruiting agencies: International School Services and Search Associates.  While memberships are expensive, both provide valuable information from the start including the salary range and the perks offered.  Carol Morgan, Cap Cana, and Sosua are registered with ISS, while Carol Morgan and St. Michaels are registered with Search. Many schools advertise with TIE Online, but salary information is only provided there if the school so chooses. 
I don't know what they pay, but there is the Abraham Lincoln School in La Romana and recently the International School in Juan Dolio has expanded. 
I hope that helps, it is a difficult road to navigate when choosing to teach in the DR or any unfamiliar place.  If you are careful and smart, the experience may not make you rich but it will be rewarding.  

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
After teaching in Canada for 10 years, I began my search in 2014-2015 to teach internationally.  Generally speaking, Latin America and the Caribbean are not highly sought after locations for international teaching because they do not pay as well.  There are exceptions of course, and usually each country or island will have a school or two that pays more. So if you go to Costa Rica or Jamaica to teach, it's more for the lifestyle and experience than your pocketbook.  The same is true for the DR.  
My info. is mostly from 2015, but I would guess things haven't changed substantially. Carol Morgan was the highest paying school in the DR.  Others with higher salaries would include St. Michaels, St. George, and the International School of Sosua.  Punta Cana International School and Cap Cana Heritage School also paid more. These schools all offer typical international teaching packages, such as your flight at the beginning and end of the contract, an apartment, and health insurance. Some offer different perks like discounts at the local supermarket or (as mentioned) gym memberships. None of them except Carol Morgan offered a moving or settling in allowance when I had received offers of employment.
For up to date, accurate information, teachers can register with two international recruiting agencies: International School Services and Search Associates.  While memberships are expensive, both provide valuable information from the start including the salary range and the perks offered.  Carol Morgan, Cap Cana, and Sosua are registered with ISS, while Carol Morgan and St. Michaels are registered with Search. Many schools advertise with TIE Online, but salary information is only provided there if the school so chooses. 
I don't know what they pay, but there is the Abraham Lincoln School in La Romana and recently the International School in Juan Dolio has expanded. 
I hope that helps, it is a difficult road to navigate when choosing to teach in the DR or any unfamiliar place.  If you are careful and smart, the experience may not make you rich but it will be rewarding.  

It would also be important to this topic to say what the salaries are.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
It would also be important to this topic to say what the salaries are.

Sorry Franco, but that was a dislike, not a like. Finger slipped. The reason being why do people need to know the salary of others if they themselves are not interested in the position or field? This will be touched upon in length within another thread, but what is the need to know the dollar amounts other people may be making. If the OP has questions regarding this, several posters here with experience in the education field have provided paths for that person to follow to investigate themselves. Just my two cents and not a war with you.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

Great job finding the exception not the rule. Fact of the matter is most college professors are members of the UMC, upper middle class. I realize not all colleges and universities are equal and enjoy the same accreditation. Especially in the south. Its evident around graduation time when job fairs and recruiters come calling. Some schools get fast food companies and local governments recruiting and some get fortune 500 companies like Goldman Sachs and Proctor and Gamble. There is money in teaching, just not here in the D.R

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Great job finding the exception not the rule. Fact of the matter is most college professors are members of the UMC, upper middle class. I realize not all colleges and universities are equal and enjoy the same accreditation. Especially in the south. Its evident around graduation time when job fairs and recruiters come calling. Some schools get fast food companies and local governments recruiting and some get fortune 500 companies like Goldman Sachs and Proctor and Gamble. There is money in teaching, just not here in the D.R

the exception and not the rule? do you really think that numerous scholars are wasting time writing articles about exceptions?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I have taught at 3 different schools in the country. You can plan to make around 1000$us a month...usually paid in pesos.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Carol Morgan is a very good school but the kids are all spoiled because the parents are well off.. who wants to deal with that not me...just saying

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Carol Morgan is a very good school but the kids are all spoiled because the parents are well off.. who wants to deal with that not me...just saying

i have posted about this a few times before. schools like Carol Morgan cater to only the rich. there are other similar schools at that level. it is different than schools in the english caribbean, wherein egalitarian entrance exams allow poor kids to go to the most elite of schools.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
And that doesn't even touch on student loans. I met a young lady 26 years old, who had just graduated with a Master's and was going into teaching, but she had student loans meaning that she would be paying out $700 per month until she was 54 years old! More years of paying off her loans than she had already lived!
Der Fish

Its all relative
If you go to a bogus liberal arts college and get a degree in some silly humanities field, well the only job you are likely to land and be qualified for is a teaching position here in the D.R., as opposed to obtaining a highly technical degree in say engineering where you will be able to market your skills for top dollar.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
1. Inner city poor or upper class rich- kids will chew you up and spit you out if you don't have your act together.  

2. Just because students are upper class and wealthy doesn't mean they are elitist and rude.  Of course this happens and I experienced it when I taught in the DR. But in my experience this is the exception not the rule. I experienced kind, considerate, intelligent students who worked very hard and had excellent work ethic. So anyone who is making the assumption that the private international schools are full of spoiled brats actually doesn't know at all. 

3. A quality school, regardless of location, will ensure that it's students have important values and morals in relation to their interactions with others and their academics.  If you want to assume the private international schools don't bother with this you are wrong, because they do. Obviously public schools can overlook the importance of this as well. 

4. There are excellent schools in the DR with excellent foreign and local teachers.  They are not full of liberal arts school majors who can't find a job. 

5. I can provide salary information from 2014-2015 for several schools (some as recent as 2017) in this thread but will not do so publicly. Send me a PM if you are a TEACHER and I will try to help you out. 

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Sorry Franco, but that was a dislike, not a like. Finger slipped. The reason being why do people need to know the salary of others if they themselves are not interested in the position or field? This will be touched upon in length within another thread, but what is the need to know the dollar amounts other people may be making. If the OP has questions regarding this, several posters here with experience in the education field have provided paths for that person to follow to investigate themselves. Just my two cents and not a war with you.

Because the OP asked "I'm interested in knowing what Santiago Christian School pay their teachers?" And, there has been no agreement about what the actual salaries are. Auryn seems to know much. So, to say the salaries would answer the OP's question.

What would it hurt to post known salaries? The other poster I referred to said a specific number which seems high. Those with more knowledge could actually settle the debate.

Not a war, de acuero.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Because the OP asked "I'm interested in knowing what Santiago Christian School pay their teachers?" And, there has been no agreement about what the actual salaries are. Auryn seems to know much. So, to say the salaries would answer the OP's question.

What would it hurt to post known salaries? The other poster I referred to said a specific number which seems high. Those with more knowledge could actually settle the debate.

Not a war, de acuero.

I dont know the exact salaries at the SCS , but what I do know is it is negotiated for each teacher.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
1. Inner city poor or upper class rich- kids will chew you up and spit you out if you don't have your act together.  

2. Just because students are upper class and wealthy doesn't mean they are elitist and rude.  Of course this happens and I experienced it when I taught in the DR. But in my experience this is the exception not the rule. I experienced kind, considerate, intelligent students who worked very hard and had excellent work ethic. So anyone who is making the assumption that the private international schools are full of spoiled brats actually doesn't know at all. 

3. A quality school, regardless of location, will ensure that it's students have important values and morals in relation to their interactions with others and their academics.  If you want to assume the private international schools don't bother with this you are wrong, because they do. Obviously public schools can overlook the importance of this as well. 

4. There are excellent schools in the DR with excellent foreign and local teachers.  They are not full of liberal arts school majors who can't find a job. 

5. I can provide salary information from 2014-2015 for several schools (some as recent as 2017) in this thread but will not do so publicly. Send me a PM if you are a TEACHER and I will try to help you out. 

I understand that . but Carol morgan is fill with the elite and are spoiled brats

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I understand that . but Carol morgan is fill with the elite and are spoiled brats

Is that so? And is your information based on your experience as an alumni, teacher, or parent of CMS?  The students are rich, yes.  That does not always mean they are entitled brats.  This is the DR, being poor does not always mean humble and modest either. 

The students I taught lived in a different world than me with their chauffeurs, nannies, and weekend penthouse apartments in NYC. They were polite, respectful, and worked extremely hard to earn their grades. Of course there were some that tried to get away with nonsense, but that happens with kids that live in poverty also.  Don't kid yourself. 

Last edited: