Teaching Salaries

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
As far as salaries go, I have a B.A./B.Ed. from a Canadian university, and went with 10 years under my belt. I received offers from several schools that all offered an apartment ($400-$800/month equivalency) and a significant pay range of $17,000 - $38,000 US per year.  Like I said previously, particulars about which schools offered what can be shared via PM. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As far as salaries go, I have a B.A./B.Ed. from a Canadian university, and went with 10 years under my belt. I received offers from several schools that all offered an apartment ($400-$800/month equivalency) and a significant pay range of $17,000 - $38,000 US per year.  Like I said previously, particulars about which schools offered what can be shared via PM. 

38000 per year, with a housing allowance, is decent money in the DR.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
38000 per year, with a housing allowance, is decent money in the DR.

They all offered different perks too, in addition to the apartment.  The best was home flight reimbursement at the beginning and end of the school year.  I've heard of discounts at restaurants, gyms, and grocery stores. Decent health insurance was also included with every offer.  

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Is that so? And is your information based on your experience as an alumni, teacher, or parent of CMS?  The students are rich, yes.  That does not always mean they are entitled brats.  This is the DR, being poor does not always mean humble and modest either. 

The students I taught lived in a different world than me with their chauffeurs, nannies, and weekend penthouse apartments in NYC. They were polite, respectful, and worked extremely hard to earn their grades. Of course there were some that tried to get away with nonsense, but that happens with kids that live in poverty also.  Don't kid yourself. 
My information is very good know two teachers that taught there also have a niece that when there  ..it's also has a drug problem that the admin keeps very secret,  it's and overrate and over priced school. My opinion is there are better choice then CM ........  

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They all offered different perks too, in addition to the apartment.  The best was home flight reimbursement at the beginning and end of the school year.  I've heard of discounts at restaurants, gyms, and grocery stores. Decent health insurance was also included with every offer.  

that is better than many teachers in the USA can expect, if you consider the purchasing power of the dollar in each country.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I should add that the furnished apartment that I was provided with in the area I lived in would add an additional $6000-$8000 per year.  Add flights at $2000, and all the other small benefits another $1000 or so. None of that was money in my pocket but it was money saved.  Some schools provide a housing allowance and ask that you find your own apartment, so where you live and how much you pay is your choice.  

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I should add that the furnished apartment that I was provided with in the area I lived in would add an additional $6000-$8000 per year.  Add flights at $2000, and all the other small benefits another $1000 or so. None of that was money in my pocket but it was money saved.  Some schools provide a housing allowance and ask that you find your own apartment, so where you live and how much you pay is your choice.  

why would someone give up a job like that?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I received a better offer from a school in Canada.  SD was a bit much for me, but I wouldn't entirely rule out ever returning. 

glad to hear it. it must have been a great offer, because what you described sounds like high clover. onward, and upward..

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Spanish would only be required if you are teaching it or for personal relations with local staff and daily life outside of work. In the school or classroom environment, next to nothing.  The schools mentioned require students to speak English in all classes except Spanish and the Dominican classes if they're even offered.  They typically follow the American Common Core curriculum and classes are taught in English. Knowing coño and other such vocabulary is a bonus but most kids know not to use it. If not they'll learn quickly, at least with any teacher that has their wits about them. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
My information is very good know two teachers that taught there also have a niece that when there  ..it's also has a drug problem that the admin keeps very secret,  it's and overrate and over priced school. My opinion is there are better choice then CM ........  

Is this an elementary school with a drug problem?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It's a Pre-K through 12 school.  I'm sure he's talking about the middle or high school kids.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
As usual there is a plethora of opinions in this thread by individuals who know not of what they speak.
My son worked as a teacher in the Ashton School (it is in Santo Domingo not Santiago) up until 2 years ago when he came to work with me in my business.
He was earning 52,000 RD a month. This will not get you rich however it is a LOT more than your average Dominican.
I spent a month in Punta Cana a few years ago and knew a Belgium guy who was working as a teacher in the Ranieri shcool where he was provided housing in addition to his salary (I don't recall what his salary was).
Although neither of my examples apply to Santiago (which is where I currently live) I hope it gives the OP a sense of the potential here in the D.R>

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The Ashton School was on par with St. Joseph's and PCIS for salary.  St. Joseph's allowed $600 for an apartment and PCIS provided one.  Others that would be very close would be the MC School and possibly ABC in SD. 

babyboom3

Jun 11, 2017
Thank you for your post I am also thinking of teaching there but the contract looks rather weak I would have to pay for almost everything to get there etc alo salary could be delayed for 3 to five months any advice I would be coming from the far east regards