• Barahona

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
And

Joshua R said:
Hell yes it is!!! nothing but a campo there no life at all only good thing is that they have some of the best players there so i'll give them props for that

Some of those "players" don't swing baseball bats. I have friends there and enjoy it when I am there. Otherwise...it is boring.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Santiago's my favorite. It has the benefits of a big city yet with a small town atmosphere. But I'd like to give an honorable mention to the good folks of Mao. Twice I've gone through that town looking for first the hospital and then for the way out to Santiago. Both times I couldn't find it--so I stopped and asked directions. The folks there treated me like family and were so helpful! Bob

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bobandjudy said:
Santiago's my favorite. It has the benefits of a big city yet with a small town atmosphere. But I'd like to give an honorable mention to the good folks of Mao. Twice I've gone through that town looking for first the hospital and then for the way out to Santiago. Both times I couldn't find it--so I stopped and asked directions. The folks there treated me like family and were so helpful! Bob
You're not alone!

So far, Santiago is the most favorite of Dominican cities for DR1ers who participated in the poll.

Followed by Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata.

-NALs

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Sane traffic, perfect weather, low crime, drinkable water, minor electrical outages, excellent roads, good golf, and the hope that other expats do not find it also. Let others go to the beach to live.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
There nothing in San francisco, freaking hot like hell, no rivers everything is freaking boring outside of Macoris is good in the country side going to nagua, thats change everything.

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
It depends on what you want.

Big City - SANTO DOMINGO of course; there's nothing else.

Small Town feeling with big city conveniences - SANTIAGO.

Quiet town, excellent to raise a family and accessible (20 mins. to Santiago-1 hr. to Sto. Dgo.) to both above - LA VEGA.

Small mountain towns - A tie - JARABACOA / CONSTANZA (La Vega province).

The heart of the DR is the best area, called El Cibao, and which includes Santiago, Moca, La Vega, Mao, Bonao, San Francisco, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Nagua, and others.

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
I have not been everywhere in the DR yet but my top 5 is:

1) Moca
2) Santo Domingo
3) Santiago
4) La Romana
5) La Vega

Moca

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have not been everywhere in the DR yet but my top 5 is:

1) Moca
2) Santo Domingo
3) Santiago
4) La Romana
5) La Vega

Moca

Just curious, what is your criteria for choosing these cities, since you have not been to the DR???????

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Santo domingo.........only because in many ways it reminds a lot of los angeles (my hometown). its got the ocean, palm trees, and the nightlife. when i get to be a bit older i would definitely like something a little slower like santiago.........i like santiago a lot--i just wish it was closer to the beach.

Elvismen

Aug 23, 2003
I'm Not even going Vote since is not there : )

Cotui...

Small, but not too smal, beautiful country side, South: mountains with a lot of free fruits. East: Rio Yuna, beautiful fresh and clear water, Rice everwhere.
West more mountains, the Presa de Hatillo, just 10 minutes away, you can bring your boat :), North: more Rice!!

in Between Sto Dgo and Santiago.

you can ask for more!!

oohhh!!!... and there is no Crimes like Santiago and Santo Domingo.

Listen To free Salsa, Merengue and Bachata -->> Elvismen Internet Radio!: Bachata, Merengue, and Salsa Radio, internet radio streaming

Peace!

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Frontera

Dajabon

I dig the voodoo that you do baby!

Plus I always thought it was cool when you came back from the other side they'd spray your wheel wells for pixie dust...........classic

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Mi tierra natal.

There's a certain something about Santiago that I haven't felt anywhere else I've lived in or been to in all of my years. Peace and contentment come close but does not fully explain the sensation felt when I'm there. Everything seems so dreamy. I don't know.

For a calm, hassle-free small town; Jarabacoa gets my vote.

For a sleepy, picturesque village, nestle in the high mountains of the Cordillera; Manabao is the place to see and feel.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Sane traffic, perfect weather, low crime, drinkable water, minor electrical outages, excellent roads, good golf, and the hope that other expats do not find it also. Let others go to the beach to live.

Second that! ESPECIALLY if they were to add another 9...