• San Juan de la Maguana

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Barahona

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
La Romana is a very nice province.....it's probably the most known province in the world due to its resorts (casa de campo, dominicus, bayahibe, etc) it has beautiful beaches.....some nice rivers....nice location...it got an exelent view of the Catalina Island where u can scuba dive and enjoy of the pool in the sea....theres a portion of the sea that is so shallow it is like a pool....u would find nice apartments and plus nice campos..bateyes.....so La Romana has a lil bit of everything.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
La Romana is a very nice province.....it's probably the most known province in the world due to its resorts (casa de campo, dominicus, bayahibe, etc) it has beautiful beaches.....some nice rivers....nice location...it got an exelent view of the Catalina Island where u can scuba dive and enjoy of the pool in the sea....theres a portion of the sea that is so shallow it is like a pool....u would find nice apartments and plus nice campos..bateyes.....so La Romana has a lil bit of everything.
Be aware that even though Bayahibe is sold to tourists as part of "La Romana", in reality Bayahibe is in La Altagracia province.

In fact, all the resorts of "La Romana" are in La Altagracia province with the exception of Casa de Campo. But, these are technicalities.

Given that Bayahibe (even though its sold as part of La Romana), Punta Cana, and Bavaro are in La Altagracia province, it probably makes sense to assume that La Altagracia is the most known province to foreigners.

In second place probably comes Puerto Plata perhaps followed by San Pedro de Macoris and the Distrito Nacional.

-NALs

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hey NALs it is true what u say about Dominicus and Bayahibe really belonging to La Altagracia...but....even there residents consider themselves as part of La Romana.....they say they belong to La Romana...the Resorts themselves say they are located in La Romana...there are more resorts in La Romana not so known that have been getting attention lately...like Santana Beach Resort and Barcelo Reyna Cumayasa....i give a lot of props to La Altagracia o Higuey i love that area of the country....santo domingo.....santiago.....la altagracia and puerto plata....would follow my list of the best provinces in DR....every province has something to admire and love.....different attractions......the best place should have more than only beaches or hotels....u have to look at the town and it's outsides....and it's people......

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hey NALs it is true what u say about Dominicus and Bayahibe really belonging to La Altagracia...but....even there residents consider themselves as part of La Romana.....they say they belong to La Romana...the Resorts themselves say they are located in La Romana...there are more resorts in La Romana not so known that have been getting attention lately...like Santana Beach Resort and Barcelo Reyna Cumayasa....i give a lot of props to La Altagracia o Higuey i love that area of the country....santo domingo.....santiago.....la altagracia and puerto plata....would follow my list of the best provinces in DR....every province has something to admire and love.....different attractions......the best place should have more than only beaches or hotels....u have to look at the town and it's outsides....and it's people......
That's why I added the word "technically" into my response, because technically Bayahibe is in La Altagracia, eventhough everyone seem to be convinced that its in La Romana.

The tourist industry does so for the sake of simplicity (tourist arrive to La Romana airport, the only town of reference in the area is La Romana, Bayahibe is closer and better connected to La Romana than it is to Higuey, etc), but locals tend to be misinformed regarding to which province they live in. Which leads me to wonder why are the political boundaries between La Altagracia and La Romana simply changed to include Bayahibe into La Romana and makes things easier for everyone? Oh well.

By the way, Santana Beach Resort is NOT in La Romana. It's near the estuary of the Soco River in San Pedro de Macoris province. In fact, the border between San Pedro and La Romana provinces are nowhere near Santana Beach Resort since the resort lies more or less half way between San Pedro city and the La Romana border.

The Barcelo Reyna Cumayasa hotel is right along the border and technically is in La Romana. I think the Cumayasa river which borders their property IS the provincial border between La Romana and San Pedro, but I am not entirely sure about that detail.

But, again, these are only political technicalities.

Everything else you mention is right on!

-NALs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i want to know- who on earth voted POP? give me names, you are personally responsible for fuelling minovio's desire to settle here for ever! ;)

santo domingo - i am a big cities girl and it has la cuchara de madera.
closely followed by santiago - with benny's pastries.
no complains about those two!
but jarabacoa has the best temperature.

seriously i should not be voting as i have seen a small chunk of DR being here for few months only.... nothing that can't be fixed thou.

ps moca has BEST girls ever. i have been to a wedding in moca - wow, i did not know where to look!

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
well..if it's all about the girlzzzz....i think the poll result will definately change...hehe....i hear girls from...san francisco....santiago...Ocoa....are cutest...no se si es verdad..he visto unas cuantas no mas..no tantas para desidir....the capital...well..se compone de diferentes pueblos en totalidad debido a la migracion de estudiantes de otras provincias....so...no se....

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Just curious, what is your criteria for choosing these cities, since you have not been to the DR???????

A.Hidalgo,

I think you misread my post. I typed that I had not been
EVERYWHERE in the DR. Not I have not been to the Dominican Republic.
My criteria is based upon where I enjoyed myself most.

Moca

hatuey13

Jul 7, 2006
www.myspace.com
Yo amo a mi tierra....de playa a playa...de batey a batey...de ciudad a ciudad...de campo a campo...........la verdad no creo que haya una provincia #1....todas tienen sus riquezas.......y lo importante....el con'to de las riquezas de nuestras provincias hacen esa hermosa Quisqueya la bella

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
A.Hidalgo,

I think you misread my post. I typed that I had not been
EVERYWHERE in the DR. Not I have not been to the Dominican Republic.
My criteria is based upon where I enjoyed myself most.

Moca

Understood, where you enjoyed yourself is a good criteria.:cheeky:

Danceelite

Mar 22, 2007
me and my buddies picks

Santo Domingo
Sousua
Boca Chica
San Pedro de Marcolis
Jaun Dolio

Those are our picks and don't ask why.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
home of the cibao regional hospital, home of la bachata, cuna del merengue. por donde pasa el Yaque del norte, valle de la murte, la cas de la aguilas, tipoco monte bar las colinas, segond largerst shoping malls in the island, las mujers mas bellas, la mejor universidad PUCMM, el mejor cirgarro, headquater to el emprio Leon, la primera disteleria y el primer ron dominicano, el cnetro dle vaale del cibao, aguaita vale y tu no entiende vea ei citio ah Santiago la ciudad coranzon . Cibaeno de pura cepa. aguita.
sancjen otro mejor ah ah diem cual.........el que vive aqui no tien que salir de aqui para nada.............frutas mujeres, rios hopstales. cines , malls, restaurantes.......

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
home of the cibao regional hospital, home of la bachata, cuna del merengue. por donde pasa el Yaque del norte, valle de la murte, la cas de la aguilas, tipoco monte bar las colinas, segond largerst shoping malls in the island, las mujers mas bellas, la mejor universidad PUCMM, el mejor cirgarro, headquater to el emprio Leon, la primera disteleria y el primer ron dominicano, el cnetro dle vaale del cibao, aguaita vale y tu no entiende vea ei citio ah Santiago la ciudad coranzon . Cibaeno de pura cepa. aguita.
sancjen otro mejor ah ah diem cual.........el que vive aqui no tien que salir de aqui para nada.............frutas mujeres, rios hopstales. cines , malls, restaurantes.......

Lots of Santiagueros in Higuey, NuebaYol, Providence...

What's the deal with Santiago?

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
I would have to say that the best city, for me at least, is La Romana; Not just because my family is from there, but because I've seen it in all it's glory. I was 16 years old the last time I went and instead of running from beach to beach with my cousins, as was customary for me since childhood, I actually spent my three weeks going to different parts of La Romana and the surrounding tourist attractions. I went to my extended family's compound in Chavon and saw beautiful coffee fields; In the city, where my immediate family resides, I went to the numerous little trinket shops and bought souvenirs at ridiculous prices; I even ended up on some "forgotten" property my uncle owns where I got to pick guavas. To me it is the best city in the Dominican Republic and I admit that it was hard for me to adjust again when I came back from that trip; My mother often likes to tease me and says that my personal discovery of La Romana ,and the "mild state of depression" I experienced initially upon arrival back here, was like a torrid love affair, and in some ways I think she's right.