The decline of European flights to Puerto Plata airport

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I suspect that the vast majority of tourism visits to the DR are are bought and sold through travel companies. Those travel companies will follow the deals from region to region that provide the lowest costs to them to accommodate their customers. The majority of the airlines will schedule their flights based on that need to move people.

The two big Canadian Airlines, also run their own vacation websites and those package bookings are the main provider of bums in the seats for WestJet and Air Canada coming to the DR. I'm not sure there are enough Residents and snowbirds to keep flights coming to Puerto Plata without the package tourists.

I don't think the average one or two week vacationer really cares which beach or which hotel they make use of, as long as they can afford the cost to come here in the first place.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
One of the problems is if first time visitors don't come they also don't book return trips. Those that go to Punta Cana and enjoy it will possibly book a return trip there not to the North Coast.
Same with other locations - Maybe thy can get a cheaper flight to Mexico than POP so they go to Cancun and again future DR return trips are missed.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Perception is everything.
For example Eurowings: the negative person will say: Eurowings are going from 3 flights a week to 2 flights a week.
A positive person will say: Eurowings didn't come to Pop 3 years ago and have 3 flights a week on this moment.
And the reality is: Eurowings didn't fly to pop 3 years (or maybe 4 years) ago to Pop, then they had 1 flight a week for a long time, afterwards 2 flights a week and now since a couple of months 3 flights a week and they will reduce it again to 2 flights a week in the "low" season (it is still double the amount of flights compared to 2 or 3 years ago).
All is how you want to look at it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Amen to that Windy.
Back in the day I recall 7 or more flights daily from JFK/EWR alone. MIA had two on AA and SJU as well. Now, not so many.

US flights using POP got worse years ago and never got better again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Part of that is the load factor.
Same passenger load now, fewer planes, more $$$ for the airlines.
They used to fly w/ less passengers - no more of that !!

Remember when they all lost money ??

At Christmas , I commented it was the old days.... 60% load about=== POP to EWR

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
When I say back in the day I mean when Santiago used the city Airport and had two AA Eagle flights ex SJU daily and that's about it. Now STI has taken huge strides to beat POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
US flights using POP got worse years ago and never got better again.

it's a bit of pain in the heinie to go to europe using POP. and now you are even kicking a puppy of my hopes to connect via US...

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Tui Belgium just announced that they are going to fly from Brussels to Puerto Plata again. (And tui holland from Amsterdam also)
Nice

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
how about flights from US and canada? are the connections getting better or worse on that end?

This week coming I will treat myself to a direct from Halifax to POP and return on 30 April. That direct flight stops until next Feb 15 2019.
Other than that I have to travel to POP via Toronto... two days without a good sleep.

Anything out of Toronto or Montreal is a direct flight.

Fuel , Tech. Support, taxes and fees, ground crew services , and landing/take off fees all impact upon viability of operating a vacation package. Those all inclusive deals have got to be crippling the airlines.

Russell

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
From when? The flights don´t show up for this summer anyway

Tui Belgium starts to fly November 1st (starting from next month they will sell tickets on their website).
Tui Holland also October or November, don't remember exactly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Reckon the airlines wanna use the planes for more lucrative destinations, maybe demand for POP declined.

The loss of the flights is a result of the loss of the tourists.... not the reverse

If there were enough tourists - flights would continue

Post #6 above recalls the JetBlue / AZS issue.
They changed the route to Punta Cana from AZS to get more revenue...
From both people and fares

Of course the demand for POP declined. The reasons were the increase in tourism to Punta Cana, the turning of hotels into condos on the north coast to make a quick buck, and the lack of improvements done to the older hotels that remained which caused the tourism industry to send 90% of tourist to Punta Cana. Still the case that only 10% of the tourists come to the north coast despite a slight uptick recently in numbers to POP.

It is absolutely correct that the lack of demand for flights is what is causing the drop off from Europe and long ago caused the drop off from the USA. Prices are ridiculous for flights from to/from the US since there is so little demand for them, the connections are horrible, and the airlines are charging what they can to continue to make a profit. I have no idea if any connections between any resorts being rebuilt/built on the north coast will have on increased flights from Europe since it is too early to tell how successful those efforts will be.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it's a bit of pain in the heinie to go to europe using POP. and now you are even kicking a puppy of my hopes to connect via US...

It is horrible now. Getting to the west coast of the US is a nightmare. I have used Santo Domingo over POP and doing that is a Royal Pain in the heinie taking buses from the north coast and getting hotels in Santo Domingo because of the flight times. My step daughter uses Santiago because she flies in and out of Fort Lauderdale using Spirit when she visits us in Cabarete. POP sucks for most US travel because of the pricing and connections.