The Haiti Syndrome

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
The last I checked, Haitians in Dominican Republic are like the Mexicans in California, doing the jobs nobody wants to do. Sure there are valid historical fears of the hatianization of the island, but as long as Dominicans have the economic upperhand in the island it will never happen. I would argue that probably Haitians on net create more wealth for the Dominican economy than what they take from it. The great sucking sound downthere is from the barigones and their corrupt ways.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hell, no, CC! It's been friggin' VODKATIME here all week, since last Saturday night at Xanadu. I'll tell you about it some time. But it was scarier than your chasing off an intruder buck naked. LOL. ::sigh :: Yes, that was one image that's been hard to get rid of unfortunately. And it's probably the reason the Dominican economy is starting to look like Haiti's, just to stay on subject and to keep from hearing another LTS post whining about it.

Tom (aka XR)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If the Dominicans had a chance to "vote someone off the island," one Haitian of their choice or one corrupt polititian of their choice, who would they vote off?
mk
I guess this is off topic. Sorry. mk

Last edited:

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
Another Meaningful Statistic?

Shouldn't the per capita share of the national debt also be considered here? I don't have the statistics but middle class Americans (US type) probably don't have much reason to look down their noses in this regard.

US has a....

~ $1 Trillion debt
~$16,000 debt per capita
~$1.8 Trillion Budget (Revenue)
Import Partner Canada 19%, Mexico 11% Japan 11%

DR has a .....

~ $5.4 Billion Debt
debt Per Capita $619
~ $2.9 Billion Budget
Import Partner US 60% Japan 10$

Haiti has a...
~$1.5 Billion debt
debt per capita $38.00
~$273 million Revenue
Import Partner US - 60%
DR 3%

Relatively the same (percentage wise) except for Haiti.

But they reflect society has a whole
We assume a lot of debt through loans and credit..
You can't blame Citizens spending habit when the Government
has the same behavior of spending.

Haiti's budget is the same as many CEO's salaries in the US so life there is pretty tough. If I lived there I would be crossing any border I could find to support my family or myself rather.

But they all have one thing in common and that is they all assume a large amount of debt relative to their country and if the country is corrupt, it just makes it that much worse.

Last edited: