The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I don't really have that excuse...I took French in elementary school and living in the DC Metro area exposed me to many languages. I think it's a mental block about having to be perfect. I was a writer/editor and have an extensive English vocabulary and an excellent grasp of English grammar. I think I get tongue-tied trying to find the exact word to convey my meaning and am far too worried about proper pronunciation and conjugation to just relax and talk.... But that doesn't explain my inability to understand Dominicans in their conversation...maybe just more time. I can distinguish between a gato and a perro :) haha!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Good luck! Good you're that expert in english, it's not an easy language to speak to perfection (for foreigners I mean).

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Sorry... i liked your post but i didn't respond to my click and when I clicked it a second time, it went to dislike. I did/do like it...so sorry :)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think the OP has stated anything that many others on DR1 have not said more than once.

topek

Sep 11, 2016
I will only reply to one thing...yes, it is my fault for not being able to speak better Spanish but I have tried and tried for six years. I've taken individual classes, group classes, gone to coffee with groups of Dominicans and expats to practice... I am still taking an hour lesson once a week. I can read very well and write reasonably well and speak in simple sentences in present, past, future, etc. But I cannot follow Dominicans in their own conversations or participate in them. Maybe I'm too old to learn (66/67) or maybe I just can't speak any foreign language. Occasionally, I'll even dream in Spanish or French (which I took in college years ago) but rapid conversation is still beyond me. I'm not stupid. I can play piano and my English is first-rate. But conversational Spanish beyond rudimentary is just beyond me. Maybe I'll get better eventually. I'm certainly better now than six years ago, but I'd like to be able to talk politics or other issues, not just inquire about their day.

I think for me learning the languages is easier then for you (despite your age which doesn't help) because my language (polish) is one of the most difficult to learn.

Last time a had a guy in BlaBlaCar from Brussel to Luxemburg. He was Luxemburg citizen. His parents were Spanish and Italian.
He spoke: German, French, Luxemburgian, Spanish, Italian and English. And really learned just English. All other were automatically during growing up.

That's not fair... 😐

To learn English, German and now Spanish i invested thousands of hours.

Kind regards
Topek

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it does not get better, trust me. this is the land of the wretched. do not move here. do not commit. run when you still can.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I don't think the OP has stated anything that many others on DR1 have not said more than once.

And there are a few of us that think differently having lived in various developing countries and don't want to grumble and gripe and would rather get on with our chosen expat lives.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Topek,

Your OP was very well written for a non-native English speaker and I agree with many of your observations.  Some of the replies have been downright ignorant.  Some have comprehension issues and don't know where you are from, regardless of how many times you have stated.  Another point comparing DR to Africa.  The DR, occupying two thirds of a medium sized Carribbean island to an entire continent comprising of over fifty independent countries.

I agree with a lot of your frustrations.  Dominicans are not respectful as many here seem to perceive.  Punctuality is a sign of respectfulness.  If they can't be bothered to turn up on time or inform you that they are running late, they don't respect you.

They are not polite.  To your face they will tell you everything you want to hear and shower you with platitudes.  But you can see their real nature when it comes to queuing in an orderly manner and waiting their turn and the way that they drive.  They have no regard for other people, be it their fellow Dominicans or foreigners.  You cannot have a discussion of opposing opinions with a Dominican .  He will simply repeat what he is saying and just raise the volume.

Dominicans are inherently lazy.  If they can get away with doing half a job, then they will.  A car mechanic who finds a particularly difficult bolt to install in your car, will leave if out.  I have met very few Dominican who possess the ability of attention to detail, without supervision.  There is no pride in their work.  How many Dominican tradesmen will ask you if you like what they have done?

These are culture shock issues that either you can adapt to, or not.  But at least you have taken the first step of identifying them.

I see that you have posted this in the Santo Domingo forum.  That in itself speaks volumes.  Santo Doming is a metropolitan cesspit of filth.  I can't stand it.  I hope you have had time to explore this island.  There truly are parts of paradise here and once discovered, all those negative points just wash away.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Nice hard-working/drinking people, I had a kind of bathroom-renovationcompany in Europe and we used them all the time. They DO arrive on time :) 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And there are a few of us that think differently having lived in various developing countries and don't want to grumble and gripe and would rather get on with our chosen expat lives.

I learned, I had to learn, to work around the issues and ignore the garbage. I will never be totally used to it, but I have been able to dampen the effects to a dull roar.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I just don't know the point of your post. Are these things deal-breakers? Do they keep you from visiting? If they don't, then why worry about them. If they do, then don't come. If the purpose of your post is just to vent your frustrations, I understand. But I don't think it is realistic to expect the culture to change. If someone is habitually late to an appointment, tell them it's not acceptable and if they continue to ignore your concern, don't do business of be friends with them. If the trash bothers you, pick it up. Yes, it would be nice if the world lived according to your expectations.... I haven't ever visited Poland (which it seems does not have the particular problems you mention), but I expect I could find something to dislike there.... :)

Pathetic pathetic reply of yours.  You don't understand the point of his post?  Maybe you need to raise your intelligence quota and reread the post.  So defensive you sound.  You cannot/will not acknowledge any of OP points?  You write if the trash bothers you...you are an ignorameous (sp?). Does the trash Not bother you?  
You are so ridiculous sounding and Ignorant.  And when people stop coming here...because of much of what OP presented as his opinions (which indeed are true) then maybe You will start picking up trash.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Hola,
at the beginning I would like to tell you, i was thinking a lot about: "should i write this post or not?"
I decided YES, but still not sure if that was a good decission.

I'm not expat living in DR, i just visited the country and the city several times in last months and want to share my observations & experiences.

I'm disappointed, perhaps I was from the beginning too naive?
I was thinking "it's a poor country, but people are nice, helpfull, open"

IMPORTANT: To all my thesis here apply for MOST of the people in DR. Not for ALL. There are no general/100% rules which apply to all people in any country. It's about the trend. Even if i write "All Dominican" i mean "most" :)

1. In DR nobody is respecting appointments/agreements and your time.
Coming one hour later or not coming at all is usual in DR. You can not rely on anything. People don't even inform you, that they come later or don't come. All the simplest things which can be easily achieved in a good organized country takes sooo much time and effort in DR. On both sides: privat (friends & family) and on business/government. Dominicans don't respect you, agreements and your time. A kind of well learned helplessness.

2. Every white is a millionaire.
It doesn't matter where you are, what you buy, when they see a white person, it means automatically: "he is rich" so lets f**k him. He came to this country to serve as ATM. I'm European but come from not so rich country (Poland). Even in rich european countries there are people who have to survive for several hundred euros per month. If Dominicans see white people, the prices double or triple. Everyone tries to cheat on you.

3. DR is dirty
It really doesn't cost any money to not throw away the garbage on the street in front of your house.
Do the Dominicans like to live within this garbage? They feel good? My mom was making jokes in Santo Domingo seeing on many cars "Christo vienne". She said: "yes, Jesus will come and first clean the streets here. You need for sure act of god to achieve that"

4. Plastic bag madness.
In every store (supermarket) you get thousands of plastic bags. Even a single bread will be packed in two plastic bags.
Why? What for? Additionall source of garbage. In Europe most of the people take their own bags from home going shopping or buy the bags in the shops.

5. Dominicans are not helpfull
And it's not only about me, stupid white gringo. It's about how treat Dominicans each other (family & friends). Sacrifice for someone, help someone, think about someone is very rare. They simple don't care if they need to do a little effort. Passive and/or egoistic approach is very common.

6. Europeans (whites) are cold, distanced and cannot enjoy the life.
One of the most popular stereotypes in DR.
I would say in average polish people are less cold, less distanced than Dominicans and ARE HELPFULL. In my culture the HOSPITALITY is a big thing.
This is for me a basic to enjoy the life.

I could write more and longer :-/ Giving many other examples.

So, for me DR is poor because it is mentally poor. With such state of mind the country never will be nice place to live. I think in 1989 as my country (Poland) sent back Russians and Red Army, liberated after 45 years of communism occupation the GDP per capita was even higher in DR than in Poland (DR didn't have communism like Cuba). I've checked now GDP per capita and it's almost double higher in Poland than in DR. I know this comparision is not fair. There are thousand factors for economical development, but in my opinion is also connected to the "state of mind".

As I wrote at the beginning. Beeing naive i was thinking "poor but good, helpful people with a great hospitality"
Unfortunately I was wrong.
Belive me or not, but my attitude was very positive and sympathy to the country was very high at the begininng.

I'm disappointent :-(

best regards
topek

Topek,

I do understand your frustration and have felt that way at times. Since I am a part-time resident, I have learned to adapt and keep my circle small. This place is not for everyone. Well written OP and nicely said.

Status
Not open for further replies.