The Project Ecovillage Yasica La Boca

May 29, 2006
Just a guess, but there may be some money changing hands? :) Promoting it as being green works for getting the permits. It's not like there's an independent Environment Assessment impact study that's going to happen.

As for the housing, sounds like a great place if you like mosquitoes..

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
was back there this afternoon. they are leaving the trees so far but looks like they are clearing to the ground everything else. i saw a large front end loader go back that way the other day but didnt see it tonight. i will take a longer walk sunday and take pictures of what has been done. might try and get on google maps and figure out the boundarys, i have found a few of the circle markers for aerial photography around.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
Be very very careful s1mpleton. There are dangerous people protecting this illegal activity from prying eyes.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
La Boca said:
Silicone Cabarete - We are a group of Internet Entrepreneurs who aim to transform the Dominican Republic for the better.

How can you argue with that? I would have went with Silicone Coast or Silicone Island, but that's just me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let's see how it goes. That was going to be "The Miracle Mile" and now this. What was the last project of any scale that was actually started and finished in Cabarete?

I wonder what an "Internet accelerator" is.

Aug 21, 2007
Let's see how it goes. That was going to be "The Miracle Mile" and now this. What was the last project of any scale that was actually started and finished in Cabarete?

I wonder what an "Internet accelerator" is.

An "Internet accelerator" is crowd sourcing,

Crowdsourcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

using social media of various sorts to gather interest. It works for other things, but for it to work here, would involve many individuals acting on naivety....not that it hasn't happened before....

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
An "Internet accelerator" is crowd sourcing,

Crowdsourcing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

using social media of various sorts to gather interest. It works for other things, but for it to work here, would involve many individuals acting on naivety....not that it hasn't happened before....

Lindsey

I am not certain that is what they mean in this case by an Internet accelerator, like SETI for example, but it is one way to get additional resources.

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
There is a HUGE buzz about this project on the facebook groups, why hasn't anyone posted on that the owner of this project has other projects already and he hasn't even finished them? In my opinion this project has more negative impacts than positive facts.... 125 permanent jobs? mmmm what kind of jobs will they be? paying peanuts to the Dominican people? chopping off the beautiful wild nature around La Boca... cutting off public access to the Boca beach? I really hope this project doesn't go...

I am not a hater i just seriously don't see how this will be a "benefit" for this area... very few jobs generated and a high environmental impact on this area.... :(

Antonia Cantillo

May 30, 2012
Got this from the newspaper article:

"Al frente del proyecto inmobiliario que pretende construir el se?or Ganon quien es representado unos tales Fabrice y Alcides, los cuales intentaron agredir a los directivos de la Asociaci?n de Empresarios de Cabarete (ADECA) Peter Orr y Michel Gay-Crosier, quienes tras ser amenazados de muerte hicieron un llamado a las autoridades de los ministerio de Turismo y de Medio Ambiente en Puerto Plata para ejecuten acciones tendentes a parar definitivamente el may?sculo desastre ecol?gico que est? siendo cometido.

Tanto Orr como Gay-Crosier afirmaron que en realidad se necesitan inversionistas en Cabarete, para seguir desarrollando ese lugar tur?stico, pero que empresarios de la categor?a de Gordon Ganon que agreden con el uso de fuerza la ecolog?a, no lo quieren en Cabarete ya que no le importa que da?en esa zona maravillosa."

Is there someone that can help this? Why don't we call for a demostration or something? Write a letter to the mayor and the Ministerio de medio ambiente... ahh i feel so helpless... i loved this place! :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please be certain that the two projects are one in the same. As i mentioned before there have been other projects for that area that never came to fruition. The current project is being described as ecologically friendly, includes public access for launching boats, etc...

Jan 17, 2009
I'm not sure the project is the same but the location seems to be. How can it go from one investor to another in such short period of time, and the new investor already developed a new plan? Even if it were a new project in the same location, wouldn't it be an environmental disaster just like the previous one?

I thought that Medio Ambiente said about the previous project that the developer had to restore the damage done ""el infractor tiene que restaurar el da?o ambiental causado al ecosistema a su propio costo y bajo la supervisi?n de los t?cnicos del Ministerio, y que no podr? ejecutar ninguna actividad en el lugar afectado, " El Ministerio de Medio Ambiente sanciona por la tala de manglares - DiarioLibre.com

But again, maybe this is a different location in La Boca.

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
Well, this really tickles me:

"... mangroves to be jealously guarded and protected, anticipating that under no circumstances be touched mangroves and other surrounding vegetation." by ... Mr. Gordon Gannon, Jr.

How wonderful.

Mr. Gordon Gannon, Jr., managing an "Eco" Park.

Who said God doesn't have a sense of humour?

In his take over of property in Parque Nacional el Choco he was detained by Police, and then fined heavily, by Media Ambiente because his first act there was to maliciously chop down, inject and poison with gasoil, and then burn hundreds of protected Kaoba trees over a six acre site because they were "blocking the view" of a property he wanted to develop. And he didn't even own the property, but was illegally occupying it.

In connection with this incident he was arrested, charged, and hauled off to Puerto Plata for making death threats with a loaded weapon against the legal owner. He previously had spent time in prison in Moca. Then of course there's the hundreds of people who have lost their life savings on his failed "project" in Cabarete. Not to mention his other failed hotel project on the south coast. I use the term "failed" only in the sense that people who put money down did not get what they paid for. In my opinion from the perspective of "developers" like Mr. Gannon, Jr. these both likely achieved exactly the result he intended them to, and were resounding successes.

So what could possibly go wrong with this project?

The original investment debacles and arrest, plus the mess with his father in Gaspar Hernandez are well documented across the web. As to his "eco" worthiness here's just one of several supporting links found from a quick search. If you speak Spanish the show ought to open some eyes. This person is dangerous, and not an environmentalist or entrepreneur. God help the poor folks involved with any of his works.

Pirates of the Caribbean & Dominican TV Interview