The Project Ecovillage Yasica La Boca

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The amount of refuse lying all over La Boca clearly suggests that the location is not valued by the locals. If you want to sit down you'd have to clear the plastic bottles away first.

On the contrary, the number of bottles in location is directly proportional to the value of that location to Dominicans. The more Johnny Walker Blue bottles, the higher the value. You have attempted to apply your value system in your judgement.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Silicon Cabarete La Boca Project license revoked

The Ministry of Environment revoked on 17 October 2017 the environmental license issued for the development of Villas La Boca Ecological Lounge by Dreams Endowment Corporation SRL in La Boca, Cabarete, Puerto Plata. The project would be developed at the Yásica River mouth. The stop to construction was issued following recommendations made after Ministry of Environment inspectors visited the site on 29 September 2017 and confirmed violations of the permission to build the residential and technology center.

As reported in Diario Libre, the inspectors confirmed that some 1,500 meters of dunes were irregularly filled in to build a parking area. Diario Libre reports that Ministry of Environment inspectors saw for themselves that an area within the 60 meters fringe area from the beach had been marked off for a wooden path, affecting a public access area and the dunes. This area was off limits as per the environmental license. The inspectors, reportedly also ascertained where the main dwelling was marked for construction would also violate the authorization, as part of the dunes and area vegetation would need to be eliminated. The inspectors received evidence (videos by drones) from the community that mangroves had been eliminated.

The project developers propose to create a working and creative center with accommodations for businessmen from all over the world. The heart of the development is Silicon Cabarete, a software technology entrepreneurship incubator where a number of entrepreneurs can work in a highly stimulating environment, where they are able to share and develop their ideas surrounded by like-minded people. The project would consist of a creativity center, villas, and entertainment areas.

The environmental permission authorized a main villa of two levels, a secondary villa, two operation enters for technology system operations (Silicon Cabarete 1 and 2) of 1,000 square meters each, a spa-gym, two tennis courts, principal entrance and parking for 10 vehicles.

The leading investor in the project is reportedly Fabrice Grinda, a French entrepreneur, best known for being co-founder of OLX, one of the largest classified ads websites in the world.

The snag though, is that the chosen site is environmentally fragile. The developers reportedly received Ministry of Environment environmental permission for the project development after three years of requesting the license amid protests that the project potentially threatened wetland, mangroves and dunes in the area known as La Boca, the estuary formed where the Yásica River flows into the Atlantic Ocean. In granting the permission, Minister Francisco Domínguez Brito had alerted that the project needed to be limited to areas where it would cause the least environmental damage.

The Association for the Protection of Environment and Tourism of Cabarete and Sosua (Asoprocaso) and the Academy of Sciences had alerted of the impact the development could have on the fragile ecosystem.

Diario Libre reported on 18 October 2017 that as part of the conditioning of the site, 40 tareas (approximately 25,000 square meters) of mangroves and 1,200 of dunes had been affected. Families in the area have complained that the development would cut their access to the beach.

http://labocaproject.com/en/faq/

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

Oct 19, 2017

Category: DR News |

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com...-for-silicon-cabarete-irregularities-claimed/

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Could this be one time where there is not enough money to make it happen anyway?

I do not know if any other departments like Tourism will want to take this issue to Danillo's office to try to make this happen. Maybe if the project was a bit larger in scope and the promise of jobs greater??? I can see that the issue has gained some national news. How this plays out in the press might be an issue as well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the location remains off limits for development, one has to wonder what will become of what was a very popular locals spot on the weekends.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If the location remains off limits for development, one has to wonder what will become of what was a very popular locals spot on the weekends.

Hopefully it will remain popular as it is. There are plenty of other places suitable for development.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Could this be one time where there is not enough money to make it happen anyway?

maybe just bad timing with brito as the head of the ministry of the environment and recently launched plan "dominicana limpia" that focuses on making DR "clean, orderly and respectful of the environment".

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This project seems to a bit of a red-herring. I can't for the life of me see how something so small (parking for 10 cars) catering to those who workout (has a gym), play tennis (has 2 tennis courts) and enjoy walking (might have a boardwalk) can be touted as a mecca for technological innovation. The location chosen for such a development makes even less sense than a lot of the decisions in this country.

If anything, a plastics recycling plant at this location seems infinitely more sustainable and not quite so blatantly disingenuous. The project actually reminds me of a glorified dacha.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
The area should be a national park. Leave the mangroves and wetlands alone. There are enough failed projects littering the north coast.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hopefully it will remain popular as it is. There are plenty of other places suitable for development.

To my knowledge, the locals have not had use of the area for years now. My question is what next, and I realize only time will tell what is next.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There was a plan by a group of investors from an area of the world currently linked to a recent US election campaign who were trying to develop that region on a much larger scale. The project was called The Miracle Mile. Turned out to not be miraculous at all and it fizzled out quickly. http://miraclemiledr.com/

The high tech center also never made and sense to me, but sometimes square pegs can be made to fit in round holes.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
There was a plan by a group of investors from an area of the world currently linked to a recent US election campaign who were trying to develop that region on a much larger scale. The project was called The Miracle Mile. Turned out to not be miraculous at all and it fizzled out quickly. http://miraclemiledr.com/

The high tech center also never made and sense to me, but sometimes square pegs can be made to fit in round holes.

yeah, did not make sense at all. I laugh when I see the pictures on this site http://www.labocacabarete.com/

It is most probably very nice in the mornings...in the afternoon when the thermal winds kick in. Everybody that kites know that the wind is almost on-shore at La Boca... the pool will be a sand pool very quickly. All the windy days it would be impossible to work there. But yeah in the pictures it looks nice...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
To my knowledge, the locals have not had use of the area for years now. My question is what next, and I realize only time will tell what is next.

Have I got the location wrong? Isn't it the place where the river boat tours go from Islabon to the sea, where Wilson's restaurant is? If so, there are usually several kite boarders there, if not locals.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Have I got the location wrong? Isn't it the place where the river boat tours go from Islabon to the sea, where Wilson's restaurant is? If so, there are usually several kite boarders there, if not locals.

That is the location. Before the purchase of the land for the currently banned usage, it was a local hangout on the weekends with seafood restaurants and BIG SPEAKERS... Wilson went across the "mouth" when the property was cleared.