The rules are simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harold

Mar 23, 2002
I just think the title will discourage people that are not into "debates" yet might have some great input. "Debates" that take place in the General section have some by standers that take part of the discussion. I predict this will turn into an all boys club.I hope not. We all need ladies, right? Anyways, I'll adjust.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think you need worry about the lack of female debaters. There are some very outspoken women posting on this board.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I simply don't see how there can be an honest debate with some of the
participants also being moderators, especially with the views of one of them being anything but politically neutral.

Are the terms "debate" and "political correctness" compatible?

Of course, it's your board and up to you to maintain the type image, and attract the type of readership, that you want.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What I can't fathom is how anyone can say....

no attacks on wives and children yet themselves makes vicious attacks on individuals posting even when the post is in the "comedy" bin.
As for outspoken ladies posting to the "debates" section I'm sure you'll find that many of the most outspoken and opinionated no longer post because they've come to realize it's a waste of time to try to have any type of intelligent debate due to certain individuals who seem to think they own the board and dominate any attempt at serious discussion.
Good Luck......I hope it works out! It certainly is needed - only through debate can ideas immerge and hopefully change come about.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
If that simple little post in any way tested the limits of what's allowed to be said..., well, the readers can draw their own conclusions.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes ....it will be interesting won't it????

Sometimes something very simple can also be very "deep"!
An exchange of ideas and opinions can be a very good tool to increase ones knowledge, understanding and lead to changes in both attitude and opinion.
Let's see how well the "new" debate forum fosters this exchange.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to Andy a

Not to worry....

Our responsibility, as I see it, is to avoid the outright trashy, malignant and viscious sort of flames. If we are debating the DR gov't policy on loans to finance public payrolls, there should not be any need to mention skin color, sexual preferences (except by the government officials that guide the loans through the Congress?), or mother's birth rights, is there???

If we are talking about racism in the DR, well then, other vocabulary would be permitted, at least on an intellectual plane--hopefully...

I am hopeful that we can get the {img} function working on this page, since a good "smilie" can relieve tensions and sometimes make a person smile against their will...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are worrying unnecessarily, andy a. I think you are one of the very, very few that believe Pib and HB might equate "debate" with "political correctness" (whatever that means in the DR).

HB, I would think that a moderator of this thread, which Robert has indicated that he and Dolores are divorcing themselves from, would have the power to turn on the {img} function.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Works fine... These are board functionality options, not accessible by moderators.

logo.gif

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I suppose some people fear that HB and I have been given access to the big red button with the caption "Delete Internet". Do not fear. There are very few things we are allowed to do, amongst those, editing and deleting messages. However we would like it, we cannot give people electric shocks, cause them to lose their hair or anything of the sort. ;) I don't see what the big deal is.

And I understand that Rob said no abuse of smilies, not that we can't use them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Smilies weren't working earlier. That was my experience and, it appears, Hb's, also.

Vamos a ver:
sm9.gif

Ok, it works! Previously the

Last edited:

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
reading between the lines

After reading Robert's post in reply to AZB's post.

I gather that the Genreal Stuff section in this forum will now be for bad muchachos like AZB, Mondongo, X_man, Eskatt, Crisco etc to hang aound without Rob sending personal love letters.

After all these seem to be one of the few Gentlemen who do not get offended easily and are definitely not faint hearted.

Rob you care to hang out there now?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To further clarify the nature of the two sections, I suggest that smilies be added to the descriptions on the home page. This might appear for the Debate Section:

halo2.gif

And this might appear for the General Stuff Section:

sm3.gif

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
I don't know Ken, I think most of usual contributors/old time DR1ers feel like the below. I've noticed that in the past few months we have seen a drop in the long time contributors.

ALD.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
More people watch the "WWF" than watch MEET THE PRESS"!

I would rather "watch" "AZB" and "Jazzcom" fight and call each other names,than read a post by "Ces" describing the "Sex Life of the English White Moth", complete with references "ad nausium" anytime! It looks like that is the case with many others as well,as the "Threads" and "posts" drop to an all time low!However,I can also realize that DR1 doesn't want te be known as the "Flaming Board of the DR"!Or that they exist so a bunch of us Egomaniacs and Self Anointed Know It Alls have a "Playpen"!What PISSES me off is the number of "Holier Than Thou" Pseudo-Intellectuals who post for their own self-agrandizment"! They Poo Hoo all the verbal fisticufs as a waste of bandwidth and beneath them.I certainly wouldn't make any important decision in my life based on the information posted by so the self-proclaimed "literati" on a message board!Except for "Aunt Clara's recipes.To each his own!Can I say anything about Ken?CRISCOAm I the only one to have a post deleated so far? Curious in La Fe?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, you aren't alone, Crisco. Both jazzcom and I had posts deleted this week.

alienlunch277.gif

N

Not registered

Re: More people watch the "WWF" than watch MEET THE PRESS"!

Criss Colon said:
What PISSES me off is the number of "Holier Than Thou" Pseudo-Intellectuals who post for their own self-agrandizment"! They Poo Hoo all the verbal fisticufs as a waste of bandwidth and beneath them.I certainly wouldn't make any important decision in my life based on the information posted by so the self-proclaimed "literati" on a message board!

Criss;

The problem I see with your above remark is that those so accused seem to be among the unknowing?

I thought one of Robert's recent "requests" were that posters cease using so many "smiles" and pictures?

I guess it is as Criss says in so many words:"It all depends on who you are or who you know"

Janice

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Me too!

I had one deleted too!!...

I agree about WWf (which I hate with a passion) and Meet the Press. However 60 Minutes is still the top of its time slot..Go figure.

I'd like something like Monday Night Football meets Sports Center meets Cristina....meets FOX NEWS

Let it hang out.

HB
flamethrower.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.