The truth about the real estate in the DR

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Grain of salt?

Miguel Benscome is an architect and has been responsible for some of the biggest and most luxurious homes in the DR.

Trying to recall the details...

- Cement work, lack of pouring knowledge and mix.
- Ground installation, damp etc.
- Pipe and cable routing. Zero consideration for maintenance or updates.
etc etc etc...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Grain of salt?

Miguel Benscome is an architect and has been responsible for some of the biggest and most luxurious homes in the DR.

etc etc etc...

I believe you missed my point but it would interesting to ask him what percentage of homes are not structurally sound, notwithstanding inadequate plumbing or conduits.

May 5, 2007
I believe you missed my point but it would interesting to ask him what percentage of homes are not structurally sound, notwithstanding inadequate plumbing or conduits.

Crap, I can take 20 concrete blocks, some Gorilla glue and apiece of plywood and build a "structurally sound dog house," What has this to do with building a proper house with electricity, plumbing, possibly A/C etc?

I have stayed in some of the newer hotels and witnessed pipes to the shower that go from 3/4" to 1/2" to 1/4" and back to 3/4. They say the water pressure should be great because they have 3/4" pipe when I complained about the dribble they called a shower

I gave up building my house not only because customs was killing me trying to bring in my own "proper" material, and no matter what my General Contractor demanded he could not get workmen to perform to "US" standards

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I'm guessing 100% of the homes he builds are structurally sound :)
As to numbers on others, nobody knows that or can refute anything someone plucks out of their head.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Crap, I can take 20 concrete blocks, some Gorilla glue and apiece of plywood and build a "structurally sound dog house," What has this to do with building a proper house with electricity, plumbing, possibly A/C etc?

I have stayed in some of the newer hotels and witnessed pipes to the shower that go from 3/4" to 1/2" to 1/4" and back to 3/4. They say the water pressure should be great because they have 3/4" pipe when I complained about the dribble they called a shower

I gave up building my house not only because customs was killing me trying to bring in my own "proper" material, and no matter what my General Contractor demanded he could not get workmen to perform to "US" standards

I'm sorry for your experience, you should have gotten a better contractor.

If you want to see good typical good quality work come to Santiago and see my home and the one we built.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm guessing 100% of the homes he builds are structurally sound :)
As to numbers on others, nobody knows that or can refute anything someone plucks out of their head.

I talked with my partner about the issue and he says in his 20 years of construction experience, which consists 50% of remodeling and 50% new that probably 20% of the homes he has worked had structural deficiencies.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
DR1 Experts

Post deleted.

100%. Look at the smile face.

If you have a comment about DR1, the way it's run or me, do it via PM, it will just get deleted on the board, so don't waste your time.

Carry on...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I talked with my partner about the issue and he says in his 20 years of construction experience, which consists 50% of remodeling and 50% new that probably 20% of the homes he has worked had structural deficiencies.

That doesn't surprise me. I'm sure the numbers would be different by region on also the type and target market of construction.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I seriously doubt any one is making a lot of money flipping apartments or any R.E. ANYWHERE right now. There might be some small, random, very obscure, VERY specialized exceptions to this; but world wide it's a buyer's market due to the economic crisis. Since buying my condo nearly two years ago, (just completed this past October), there have been reductions in prices in various completed projects in the neighborhood. Granted, these are the left over units, obviously a little less desirable than those snatched up right away, but still reductions. That being said, the newest complex nearby, still under construction has had two price increases already. I do feel over the long run, it will be a good investment, but that's not why I bought it. I wanted my own vacation home.

As for Chip's second claim to quality of construction... I simply laugh out loud. Our project is one of the better ones, with competent engineers and construction management, and I've seen several small but telling examples of the quality of how things are done. Basically... half assed. If it goes together correctly, fine... if it doesn't, just try to "make" it fit, with the most important tool being a hammer... the bigger the better. Standards as to mechanicals... (plumbing, electricity) are a joke. Having grown up around the construction business in the U.S. and having worked in it myself in my younger years, I can tell you that our building codes, while being a major pain in the ass, do serve their purpose... insuring that building is done properly. And the codes have gotten even more strict over the years. Also, the majority of the trades men, (i.e. carpenters, masons, electricians, plumbers, etc.), are real professionals, know their trades and crafts, and for the most part take some pride in doing the job RIGHT. Are there exceptions to that??? Sure. But here good construction is assumed and the screw-up is the exception; in the D.R. half assed construction is assumed and the good job is the exception.

WRONG....Just because you don't know, or have firsthand knowledge, it's not happening?

These people don't announce something like that to the world, for obvious reasons.

I do know for a fact, that some of my former business clients are doing quite well.

And it's NOT the exception, and it's not the RULE either......it probably falls somewhere in between......

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Grain of salt?

etc etc etc...

Did you mean Bencosme instead of Benscome?

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
[FONT='Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Everyday the population of santo domingo increases, The numbers of wealthy dominicans increases too...I have been living here on and off the last 10 years and every year i see more and more wealth, jeepetas , new condos, new malls, shops and so on (it cant be just 1 owner of all this)

This country got tons of potential regarding real estate...compared to some neighboring countries , like puerto rico, panama, bahamas and see what you can get with 100.000 u.s. you get nada! Here you just got to do your due dilligence well, get a reliable construction company (it does takes alot of time) with a good track record and with 6-10 previous finished construction projects and odds will be with you.

You be retiring rich like me before you know it..flipping 5-7 apartments a year ! making 15.000-25.000 u.s per apartment in this country is not so hard at all

[/FONT]​

All segments of the Real Estate market in DR can not be slumping at the same time.

Since the population in the city is growing at a staggering rate, would it be possible to make money on multiple dwelling properties (above 5 units), instead of flipping?

I am not talking about rental units of luxury apartments. I am thinking more about the populace.

Does anyone have experience on this area? Would it be lucrative to become a landlord?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
All segments of the Real Estate market in DR can not be slumping at the same time.

Since the population in the city is growing at a staggering rate, would it be possible to make money on multiple dwelling properties (above 5 units), instead of flipping?

I am not talking about rental units of luxury apartments. I am thinking more about the populace.

Does anyone have experience on this area? Would it be lucrative to become a landlord?

It's tough for a landlord of luxury apartments I reckon it would even be harder to be a landlord of the populace with the laws they have in the DR

May 5, 2007
I'm sorry for your experience, you should have gotten a better contractor.

If you want to see good typical good quality work come to Santiago and see my home and the one we built.

Where I would find a "Better" contractor I don't know, Cum Laude from Syracuse, 25 years Naval engineering, retired as Captain

It was the workforce that frustrated him, Show a man how to do a job, go back and find pipes tied together, pipes buied in concrete, we had just got to point of installing 400 amp service except we couldn't get 400 from street, used our own pump but needed the amperage, same for some hydraulics, poured 8" thick concrete pad 60x35 and they let it "cure" with no wetting..on and on and on

If for one second you think that the method of building in the DR in any way equals US standards; I don't intend this as slam or insult, but you sure as he** ain't working on my outhouse

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
"Better" does not mean "skilled", it means honest, reliable and experienced in this country. Remember, people, the contractor trades are not licensed or regulated worth a diddly in this country. If you build, you better watch it or monitor it carefully to keep it from going off the rails. A good contractor knows the silliness that occurs here and can ensure it is corrected (or, better, prevented) before it happens.

I've had a few places built for me here over the years. In all of them I learned something. Even the best contractor in the world cannot prevent every mistake. But I know what I can do the next time to prevent the same problem. I'm sure I'll have a new problem (it seems this is like raising kids) but at least I won't duplicate the last one.

Regarding the OP on this...I could not agree with you more. I am shocked, appalled, annoyed and other adjectives at how seemingly benign investors here turn into leeches on the backside of others who seek some pied-?-terre in paradise and just get screwed for their ignorance. Someday the DR government will realize the damage this causes and do something about it (just as soon as they are the ones causing the problems).

Until then? Keep a sharp eye and don't believe a friggin' thing until you see it in action!!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Boy! You've taken an unfair beating, Chip.
I've built or renovated four houses here in the last 28 years.
Problems? Galore!
Can it be done right? You betcha!
As underlay all of Chip's arguments: if you know what you're doing it can be better than most in the U.S.

Chip, I guess your counterpunchers just have very bad experiences because they didn't know what they were doing . . .

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Who's talking one and two story homes here? Its the hi rise structures that will sustain damage in the big one. .... As far as one or two story homes those people can just run outside and will be ok. People working and living in hi rises will be the test cases as far as just how good the construction industry did its job.

Apparently Haitians didn't run fast enough in their big one..

Barnab?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Dear Frank and Kimb:

Let me address your concerns,on this beautiful morning,in NYC.I'm gonna keep it basic,so that "you guys" can process the information.Frank,there's numerous airports with numerous flights leaving,you don't like it? leave,no hard feelings.I'm sorry if you lost money,but weall appreciate you came to vent your frustration here.There's a building being constructed next door to my residence in Queens,NY. 6 apartments,two per floor,"luxury construction".Now,my dear Frank,it's been almost two years,and I can tell you that the workers show up once or twice during the week,and believe me,it's not because the have other projects going on.The big boss running the show,told me he's "dragging it out" because this is his "last job".Now,I don't know anything about real estate laws anywhere,but my 5 year old son would know not to pay for something that is not build.I believe it's pretty basic,find a reputable law firm, (like the one mentioned on DR1) a builder,look at their past projects and with those basics,I feel you should be in good shape.Frank,you can't blame the country as a whole because you didn't do your homework baby.I don't care how good it looks in blueprint or computer graphics,if it's not erected,if I haven't secured a good real estate lawyer,if I haven't looked into the builder,plain and simple "I'M NOT BUYING!!!!!!!!!!!!"Now for big ol' Kim,don't worry,hubby contract is almost up(if not start looking for those wonderful boarding schools) May you enjoy your tea today at 86 degrees.(this article was not double spaced,nor checked for ortography or spelling because I know how much you like that) Enjoy your eyesore*

*El autor no es pro-Dominicano,Pro-Pichardo,Pro-nada.I'm just here to help those unhappy expat save money and repatriate back to their origins where nobody complains.

I'm gonna leave this alone. I was gonna say a couple of things but now that I think about it....no vales la pena

SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If for one second you think that the method of building in the DR in any way equals US standards; I don't intend this as slam or insult, but you sure as he** ain't working on my outhouse

Honestly how can you know what "my method" is if you haven't seen it?

As far as the "contractor" goes, I see a major issue with the very unqualified help he hired.

A well done house here in the DR is put together using the same technique and materials that are used in the states other than the structural is in block and concrete.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Boy! You've taken an unfair beating, Chip.
I've built or renovated four houses here in the last 28 years.
Problems? Galore!
Can it be done right? You betcha!
As underlay all of Chip's arguments: if you know what you're doing it can be better than most in the U.S.

Chip, I guess your counterpunchers just have very bad experiences because they didn't know what they were doing . . .

No doubt people have had shoddy work done on their house here - I've seen it in fact.

But to say Dominican "methods" of construction aren't capable of being the equal of the US's is not based on facts.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I don't think you can or should compare them to current US homes. They compare more the the Florida beach houses built for strictly winter residences many years back before air conditioning; think lake cottage but on a beach. And as such they have very few systems and are small, simple homes.....no insulation and usually a cistern and septic.

I have live in such a FL beachhouse that was updated enough to have A/C and had been well maintained. I have to say it was better built than DR homes are today. And the houses have lasted. They tend to have much better layouts (getting into taste here) and a usable kitchen, however simple. Stairs are all the same width and height; even with no "building codes" at that time. Bathrooms are still with original tile unless someone wanted different style; mudded in which is forever! Plumbing works, electric was good from the beginning, but some had aluminum wiring as did a lot of homes back then. Wonderful terrazzo floors that are just as nice today as the day they were poured; all very level! To be fair, few earthquakes there to mess them up, but good foundations usually. Gotta remember, these were only to be "cottages" so were as cheaply built as anything back in their time. And pretty much built by hand too.