The truth about the real estate in the DR

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Chip is following TWO of his MANY "Personal Agendas"!
FIRST:EVERYTHING in the DR,is AS GOOD,or usually,EVEN BETTER,than in the USA!
Second,he is "Trolling" for work!
"If ONLY you had used me,and my "Partner", everything would have been perfect!
"Dominican Building Codes",if they even exist,are like Dominican "Laws".
They are not enforced,regulated,verified,and can be "Bought",like EVERYTHING in the DR!
I actually built two additions on my house here in SD.Guess what,I burried conduits in the floor,and walls to carry,electric,cable TV,telephone,and internet.NOTHING had to be broken out,buried,and then cemented over.Boy did they "Bitch" about doing THAT!
"That's not how we do it!"
"You DO NOW!"
Made them do a "continuos pour" and rent a power "mixer" for the cement.We even used more "Cement", than water!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I think God is about to post something in this thread and it could be renamed: The Truth according to ??? (your choice) about building a house in the D.R. I thought we had enough with the religionsssss thing. What the phoque

May 5, 2007
Would you mind explaining you experience here in the DR in construction and also in the States?

With regard to concrete curing, I would have to disagree. I have posted specs here from American manufacturers that mirror what I've seen done here on more than one project. Furthermore, the standards here for concrete placement and curing are no different than what is to be found the in the FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction.

Also, a somewhat porous mixture of concrete doesn't mean it is prone to failure either. There are in facts specs for these types of concretes, air entrained and pervious concrete.

Finally, just because you had some dimwit maestro who didn't know the concrete needed to be maintained moist for the first 24 hours or so means he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I have to ask where was the responsible engineer of the project during the concrete pours?

Chip,

I wondered why so many on here take exception to you; pitiful is my last word to you, plain pitiful

May 5, 2007
Would you mind explaining you experience here in the DR in construction and also in the States?

With regard to concrete curing, I would have to disagree. I have posted specs here from American manufacturers that mirror what I've seen done here on more than one project. Furthermore, the standards here for concrete placement and curing are no different than what is to be found the in the FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION Standard Specifications for Road and Bridge Construction.

Also, a somewhat porous mixture of concrete doesn't mean it is prone to failure either. There are in facts specs for these types of concretes, air entrained and pervious concrete.

Finally, just because you had some dimwit maestro who didn't know the concrete needed to be maintained moist for the first 24 hours or so means he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I have to ask where was the responsible engineer of the project during the concrete pours?

Chip, I formerly wondered why so many people on this forum were down on you and your "theories," now I understand. Most engineers are trained to think logically, I truly have to wonder where you graduated from

All I can say about your recent post and comments are ; Pitiful and leave it at that, it's like talking to a freaking coconut

diosabella

May 24, 2012
hi frank, im new here in the DR in Bavaro Area, Do you buy land, hire a contractor to build the apartment then just flip it? If so, I am interested is it a 4-plex or 6-plex? Who is the general contractor you used? i do have some land here i am interested
pls share some info here.? thank you

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
On this forum we're getting bombarded (spammed)with pictures of projects in the DR and how profitable these are SUPPOSED to be. In some of these projects I was involved myself and I know many people who have bought into these. Projects that were pre-sold but after 5 years they're not even finished yet.
Projects that were marketed at 1st world prices but are build like 3rd world.
Quite a few people have lost money and some even their shirt!!!
Personally I would not invest one penny in the DR even if I would like the country which I don't but that is beside the point.
I would like to get the truth out so that people will know what they're really getting themselves into.
I'm just one person who might even see it wrong all though I don't think so but what are your experiences or thoughts?

Just waiting for your "Panama" pitch anytime now after all the rhetoric...

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
The same material are not used as they are not available in the DR. I even tried to import some basic fittings (Electrical, plumbing and hydraulic) that I could not find any place in the DR to no avail

I've built 4 houses in the DR (north coast) in the last 28 years. I never found anything I had to import. Everything that I used was of good quality (Japanese, Euro, U.S. or local) as I demand.
Though the first time you go after a new and different item it may take some searching because it may be called differently, stocked differently and in an unexpected place compared to your country of origin.

DR has for years been the largest economy in the Caribbean basin (taking petroleum out of Venezuela). Don't let its social and civic underdevelopment fool you. Everything is here.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I've built 4 houses in the DR (north coast) in the last 28 years. I never found anything I had to import. Everything that I used was of good quality (Japanese, Euro, U.S. or local) as I demand.
Though the first time you go after a new and different item it may take some searching because it may be called differently, stocked differently and in an unexpected place compared to your country of origin.

DR has for years been the largest economy in the Caribbean basin (taking petroleum out of Venezuela). Don't let its social and civic underdevelopment fool you. Everything is here.

And the females to boot!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
hi frank, im new here in the DR in Bavaro Area, Do you buy land, hire a contractor to build the apartment then just flip it? If so, I am interested is it a 4-plex or 6-plex? Who is the general contractor you used? i do have some land here i am interested
pls share some info here.? thank you

Hi Diosabella, I was never involved in the building process of the projects so I'm sorry I can't help you out there.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
That's correct and it makes the DR one of the larger sex tourism destinations in the world. Unfortunately it doesn't help the DR women's reputation though. Are you starting to promote this now too? :disappoin

Ok, well that's totally off topic.

Let's get back to "most if not all building materials can be found locally," and pick it up from there.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Well Frank I work in the real estate market in the juan dolio area and I can honeslty say that the last two apartments that I sold in Marbella in the month of May were purchased by foreigners, one from Spain that pays 275,000USD for a 2 bedrooms 120 MT2 and the other buyer was from the USA Orlando florida and he paid 425,000USD for a 3 bedrooms 195 MT2. I am getting lots of clients from the USA, Canada, the UK, Spain and South America. So please like one say do your home work before buying something.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's correct and it makes the DR one of the larger sex tourism destinations in the world. Unfortunately it doesn't help the DR women's reputation though. Are you starting to promote this now too? :disappoin

Can you imagine the hundreds of pictures if he was? Sorry, back to building materials and experiences. I been involved in several construction projects. My advice, never leave the site.

diosabella

May 24, 2012
hi tao,my name is diosabella,
can you pls share some info on your real estate investment ideas, construction companies? Im in real estate but new here in bavaro, any advise on flipping 5-7 apartments a year thank you diosabella

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Flip/Flop

hi tao,my name is diosabella,
can you pls share some info on your real estate investment ideas, construction companies? Im in real estate but new here in bavaro, any advise on flipping 5-7 apartments a year thank you diosabella

Yeah,
Great idea if you can get the buyers!
In that case I would go for more = profit margin :p

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
We built a few places here in the Dominican Republic, the most complicated of which we built in 2001 when street power was only a rumor at best. We learned a lot of things in these projects and "never leaving the site" is likely to be one of the top ones. I've seen others who have built less impressive edifices than mine who spent 5x what I did because they did not keep their eyes on the construction and personnel. I cannot emphasize this enough!

New Topic: I hope not everyone is looking for "highest margin" in selling real estate. I have seen some horribly unfair things here by those using that rationale. Such as selling a property for $12/m2 when the seller was asking $7/m2. Guess where the difference went??? If it was 4000 meters it's an ouch but this was over 127000 meters...nearly financial rape on both sides! A fair margin (or fair commission) is not argued because everyone needs to make a living but what I've seen here makes my skin crawl.

londonhot

Jul 7, 2012
85,000,000 baby boomers retiring starting now. Many live 3-5 hours away by plane. The DR is still half the price of any other island and it offers a real economy. Most of the food is grown here. The small islands import it all and that costs. You can buy a condo here starting at $30,000 with a monthly fee of $80. Try that anywhere else. There are many who cannot afford to retire in their own countries but life real well here. Medical is $550 a year for a couple in their fifties. That covers a lot, a large USA company. In the USA that would be $12,000 a year. So while there are always scams around (as in every country) there are also good deals.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
True, I've lived here for 11 years because I truly enjoy it. But you really need to look behind the numbers to the reality of how things are implemented. Lots is lost in the details. Understand where you are investing and what you are investing in. Know it well. Don't believe a single source...double and triple check.