This Ain't Tesla Territory....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A Tesla comes with a home charger as standard. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation  An overnight charge will charge to full capacity and give a range of 250 miles.  That's what I typically do in a week.

I personally think that this "range anxiety" is made up of people who are refusing to accept the future.  How many people actually commute in their vehicles over 250 miles a day?  According to this survey, not many as it seems my average milage is on par with the majority of America https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Of course there will be times when a long distance journey is needed and could potentially cause a problem.  But today's solution is simple, rent a car for the day!

If I could afford a Tesla here, nothing would stop me buying one.

there you go!!! one hundred percent correct. the average guy probably does 40 miles per day. if you have to do 250, plus, wait a few years until they can give 500. it is coming.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think the technology will move fast with quicker charging times, longer ranges and cheaper cost.  Even if Tesla went out of business other companies will move forward with the technology.   It will be interesting when all the companies including Toyota , Honda, Kia, Hyundai make entry level electric vehicles.  There should be a lot of changes and improvements within the next 10 years.   

If the government every decides they want more electric cars in Dominican Republic they could have a lower import tax for them.   

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A Tesla comes with a home charger as standard. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation  An overnight charge will charge to full capacity and give a range of 250 miles.  That's what I typically do in a week.

I personally think that this "range anxiety" is made up of people who are refusing to accept the future.  How many people actually commute in their vehicles over 250 miles a day?  According to this survey, not many as it seems my average milage is on par with the majority of America https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Of course there will be times when a long distance journey is needed and could potentially cause a problem.  But today's solution is simple, rent a car for the day!

If I could afford a Tesla here, nothing would stop me buying one.
It's not just the range. Most cars only have a 250 mile range, +/-.

It's the time it takes to recharge.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It will happen, whether or not in our lifetimes, but the era of burning dead dinosaurs to get from one place to another is slowly coming to an end.

When fusion power is conquered I will agree 100% with you. At that point in time all other methods to produce electricity (like solar, wind and fossil fuel plants) will only be needed in remote areas.

Until that time, my level of agreement varies. The DR gets is power primarily form fossil fuels and is just adding some additional coal fired plants. So getting an all electric car might make you feel green, but the reality is otherwise.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think the technology will move fast with quicker charging times, longer ranges and cheaper cost.  Even if Tesla went out of business other companies will move forward with the technology.   It will be interesting when all the companies including Toyota , Honda, Kia, Hyundai make entry level electric vehicles.  There should be a lot of changes and improvements within the next 10 years.   

If the government every decides they want more electric cars in Dominican Republic they could have a lower import tax for them.   

Yes and no. The battery technologies are exhaustively researched. If you charge too fast, you damage the batteries made with current technology. So, you have to limit the charge rates to levels where the life time of the battery is practical. Everything about batteries is a trade off among storage capacity, charge times and the number of cycles (i.e. the battery lifetime). There are no simple solutions to dramatically improving those parameters at this time. Hence the long charge times and limited travel distances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On 110 volt it apparently takes 24-48 hours to charge. Good luck with that. 

My friend just got a Chevy Bolt for his wife, she had a Prius. They are discussing adding the faster charge station at home. He said the car is very impressive for the price. He did not consider a Tesla despite my recommendations.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
......knowing the car business,,, and I do... think hydrogen as fuel...toyota has had a car for years and does not market it...,,, that uses hydrogen, and the waste coming out the exhaust is a little h20...remember the auto and oil business have been in bed together from almost the beginning.......Doc.........

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
If you can afford it, a Tesla is a superior purchase. 

First, they run exceptionally well. I have several friends who own them (and are actively recruiting me to join the club). The cars are absolute technological marvels. 

In the event they do break, which is rare, given they only have a few dozen moving parts, the warranties are impressive: 4 years/ 50k "bumper to bumper," and 8 years/unlimited for the batteries and drive train.

Supercharging technology gets you back on the road in about a half hour, which is how much time most people who are not in a huge hurry spend at the combination gas station/fast food/grande frappucino with caramel spots on the highway....

I've been slowly moving over. Bought a Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid to try the technology out. I spend about a dime recharging the car at home (21 miles). Once the battery runs down, the hybrid part takes over. During the business week, I seldom do more than 40 miles coming and going, and there's a free charger at the office. 

So far, I've gone up to three weeks between trips to the gas station. And maintenance is super light because the engine is hardly ever on. Suffice to say, I'm a fan, lol!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I hope the technology continues to spread. GM said they were moving to an all-electric platform for their consumer products. But, the new tax bill cuts the credit for electric cars, so I'm concerned about that. 

Electric is wonderful, and does a great job of making us less oil dependent.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tesla is excellent from what I've seen & the others will catch up with the technology...
it's not a secret.......

Range will improve - actually is improving right now, isn't it?
They're extending the range this year?

Jan 9, 2004
My friend just got a Chevy Bolt for his wife, she had a Prius. They are discussing adding the faster charge station at home. He said the car is very impressive for the price. He did not consider a Tesla despite my recommendations.

Probably because if he was considering the Tesla model 3..........you cannot get one very easily. Tesla may be a great technology company...........but they are seriously lacking as an auto producer of a mass market pure electric like the 3. A little over 440 have been produced and sold this year.

The Chevy Bolts sales dwarf the Tesla 3. To date, over 14,000 have been sold. And as more and more traditional car companies come to market with pure electric vehicles, Tesla may lose its first mover advantage.

And why Chevrolet produced two different vehicles with similar names (Bolt and Volt) is anyone's guess. It is very confusing to those not keeping pace with changes in the Automotive space.

If you are considering an electric vehicle, you might want to wait a few more years until the infrastructure to support them catches up......especially in the DR.

And for those environmentally conscious wanting to do the right thing, there are those who have made the case that lithium mining and the eventual end of life cycle for the massive number of lithium batteries needed to power "green cars" may be a trade off of one environmental problem for another.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
So CHevy make a Bolt and a Volt? That's going to cause some real confusion in Spanish!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How many electric cars will get sold after the large gubmint subsidies end?

Will enough people find the cost/benefit ratio at a steeper price point worth it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How many electric cars will get sold after the large gubmint subsidies end?
Practically none outside of the liberal crowd.

Will enough people find the cost/benefit ratio at a steeper price point worth it?

In a word, no.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hope the technology continues to spread. GM said they were moving to an all-electric platform for their consumer products. But, the new tax bill cuts the credit for electric cars, so I'm concerned about that. 

Electric is wonderful, and does a great job of making us less oil dependent.

If the electricity generated is not from hydrocarbons. Nuclear power, anyone?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sure you can boost up the range by making the Lithium Ion battery larger, charging it faster and reducing its effective life. Or you can be the savior of the world by creating an as yet unknown battery technology. Elon Musk is betting on Lithium Ion batteries and so is the rest of the automotive industry. That technology has its limits.

For most, range is not a problem when charging more slowly if not taking a trip while on vacation.

But, where does the electricity come from to charge these vehicles?

And the subsidies to pay for those vehicles using other peoples money?

Chevy loses thousands of dollars on each Bolt they sell. How does that make sense? Do they make it up on volume?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Chevy loses $9,000 on each Bolt sold

https://www.inverse.com/article/32239-why-gm-loses-money-chevy-bolt

The Chevrolet Bolt, General Motors’ entry-level electric vehicle, is not a big money maker. A recent report revealed that the company loses around $9,000 from each $36,620 vehicle. This phenomenon is not unique to Chevrolet, and across the broad, electric vehicle makers are struggling to turn a profit. A combination of new technologies and nascent infrastructure has led to a situation where automakers are pouring money into the vehicles in the hope they’ll have a leg up on the competition years down the line.