This Ain't Tesla Territory....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I had several long conversations with Zero and Brammo about participating in our documentary. Ironically, the then marketing director of Zero held the similar position with KTM when he told Ewen McGregor that KTM was pulling sponsorship for Long Way Round...a decision that cost KTM multiple millions of dollars and put BMW at the top of the ADV world. The decision cost him his job at KTM.

Zero said they'd love to participate, but in real life and road conditions, the best their bikes could do were maybe 60 miles and then needed 8 hours to charge. So basically 50-60% of what they claim on the older battery (standard) packs. He did, however, offer participation in a subsequent planned project that only requires maybe 50 miles per day with extended overnight stays where a Quick Charger could be properly installed.

I would project the same is true for the larger battery packs: discount range claims by a considerable margin.

The charge times quoted are using their "Quick Charge" tech, like other electric cars. Problem is the Quick Charge stations are few and far between, and still require 2-3 hours to charge. In our case we talked about mounting Quick Charge stations on a mobile platform powered by a large diesel generator, and he claimed it would still take 4-6 hours for full charges. We talked about spare batteries being charged then swapped on the road, but it gets expensive and complicated.

I am sceptical of range and charge times manufacturer claims in real-world usage.

I have two good friends who are prominent moto-journalists, and both have reviewed electric motorcycles. They state while fun and intriguing, with amazing "right now" full torque, the weight distribution, balance, CG and suspension geometry make them not handle like a "regular" motorcycle and they never felt fully planted in conditions other than a straight line. There are, however, some purpose-built electric motorcycle racers. The Isle of Man TT has an electric motorcycle class.

Zeros are fun bikes, but they're not for your application. At this stage, they're basically super-scooters, best for (electric) puttering around town, but definitely not for running La Cumbre.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I don't believe the odd well to do city dweller, and occasional expatriate will be enough to support and sustain this developing market within the RD. Again it is directly in regards to the RD that I declare my assertion, not other areas of the globe. Especially so, when just the mere purchasing costs, not the operational nor maintenance factors for these automobiles, will rival that of luxury vehicles.

Jan 9, 2004
As a general rule, I don't really see people outside the transportation industry traveling a few hundred miles a day for their regular commute. In DR, do you really think there's an expectation someone would exceed two hundred miles on a daily PriceSmart run?

Exactly.

So the people really interested in hybrids in the DR would be those with long daily commutes not shorter run types. Its just not cost effective to pay the premium for a hybrid if your commute is short. And that is the number one reason given to dealers who have hybrids for sale in the DR.

And Forget EV's.

There are probably more Ferrari's than true EV's in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Exactly.

So the people really interested in hybrids in the DR would be those with long daily commutes not shorter run types. Its just not cost effective to pay the premium for a hybrid if your commute is short. And that is the number one reason given to dealers who have hybrids for sale in the DR.

And Forget EV's.

There are probably more Ferrari's than true EV's in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Perhaps. 

That said, eventually there may be a market that takes the long view. Saving $3.50 per gallon adds up fairly quickly. That, along with the more resilient engines (EVs only have a few dozen moving parts) might turn the tide.

But I do agree with you that day is not today or tomorrow.

Jan 9, 2004
Perhaps. 

That said, eventually there may be a market that takes the long view. Saving $3.50 per gallon adds up fairly quickly. That, along with the more resilient engines (EVs only have a few dozen moving parts) might turn the tide.

But I do agree with you that day is not today or tomorrow.

To my earlier point, you need to drive a lot before a hybrid makes economic sense........which is the main motivator for most buyers...........how much/ how long;

http://www.motortrend.com/news/hybrids-how-long-takes-get-money-back/

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Zeros are fun bikes, but they're not for your application. At this stage, they're basically super-scooters, best for (electric) puttering around town, but definitely not for running La Cumbre.
Not for tours; I'd never consider an electric bike for that. For a documentary project.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't believe the odd well to do city dweller, and occasional expatriate will be enough to support and sustain this developing market within the RD. Again it is directly in regards to the RD that I declare my assertion, not other areas of the globe. Especially so, when just the mere purchasing costs, not the operational nor maintenance factors for these automobiles, will rival that of luxury vehicles.
Not to mention EV's are very expensive...unless the gubmint subsidises them.

Wherever the subsidies are dropped Tesla sales have tanked.