This Ain't Tesla Territory....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I don't know why Tesla's don't have solar panels in their roofs.  There must be a reason, but would make sense in a country like this.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I recall staying in a gated community in Boca Chica.  The security staff all went around on electric pasolas.  They were pretty cool.  And silent, a great idea for security staff.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
la-1508276301-0oegrkiku2-snap-image

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Whoa! Apparently, this is the first public electric car charging 'station' in the DR. The guy says a lot of things except the location. He does offers a link where it can be located. By the looks of the building, it reminds me of Diamond Mall in Santo Domingo.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I recall staying in a gated community in Boca Chica.  The security staff all went around on electric pasolas.  They were pretty cool.  And silent, a great idea for security staff.

only problem with those things is that they probably do 10 mph. it would take a month from Samana to Nagua.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But seriously. Eventually electric cars will replace virtually all ICE cars, even in the DR. Probably none of us who can read this will be alive at that time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Electric two wheeled vehicles face the challenge of where to put a battery of sufficient size to make them practical. And those batteries face the same challenge of charging as any lithium ion batteries. Where do you plug them in? How long does it take to recharge them, etc.

This company says they have a 223 mile range:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/range/

They are not cheap:

The DSR model with the ZF14.4 power pack starts at $16,495. The SR bike starts at $16,495 with the ZF14.4 battery. The Zero S with a ZF7.2 battery starts at $10,995. The entry level FX bike, the lightest and least expensive, still starts at only $8,495 when fitted with the ZF3.6 battery.Oct 18, 2017
2018 Zero Motorcycles: These electric bikes go farther and recharge ...
www.latimes.com/.../la-fi-hy-2018-zero-motorcycles-lineup-20171018-htmlstory.html
\

Charge times have come down, too. The Zero S, ST, DS and DSR bikes can be charged six times faster than previous models, when they are mated to ZF7.2 and ZF14.4 power packs. Using an optional Charge Tank accessory — a $2,295 upgrade — the ZF7.2 battery can recharge in an hour; the ZF14.4 takes about two hours.

Models with smaller batteries are more affordable:

A Zero DS with the small ZF7.2 battery starts at $10,995.
The DSR model with the ZF14.4 power pack starts at $16,495.
The SR bike starts at $16,495 with the ZF14.4 battery.
The Zero S with a ZF7.2 battery starts at $10,995
The entry level FX bike, the lightest and least expensive, still starts at only $8,495 when fitted with the ZF3.6 battery.
Models that go faster and farther cost more:

A Zero DS with the ZF13.0 battery and power tank accessory costs $16,890.
The DSR with the ZF14.4 battery and power tank accessory is $19,390.
The SR bike with the ZF14.4 battery and power tank accessory jumps up to $19,390.
The Zero S with a ZF13.0 battery starts at $16,890.
The entry-level FX with a bigger ZF7.2 battery starts at $11,390.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-2018-zero-motorcycles-lineup-20171018-htmlstory.html

Hard to find a home for many of these in the DR after what the DR government does to imports despite DR-CAFTA.
I had several long conversations with Zero and Brammo about participating in our documentary. Ironically, the then marketing director of Zero held the similar position with KTM when he told Ewen McGregor that KTM was pulling sponsorship for Long Way Round...a decision that cost KTM multiple millions of dollars and put BMW at the top of the ADV world. The decision cost him his job at KTM.

Zero said they'd love to participate, but in real life and road conditions, the best their bikes could do were maybe 60 miles and then needed 8 hours to charge. So basically 50-60% of what they claim on the older battery (standard) packs. He did, however, offer participation in a subsequent planned project that only requires maybe 50 miles per day with extended overnight stays where a Quick Charger could be properly installed.

I would project the same is true for the larger battery packs: discount range claims by a considerable margin.

The charge times quoted are using their "Quick Charge" tech, like other electric cars. Problem is the Quick Charge stations are few and far between, and still require 2-3 hours to charge. In our case we talked about mounting Quick Charge stations on a mobile platform powered by a large diesel generator, and he claimed it would still take 4-6 hours for full charges. We talked about spare batteries being charged then swapped on the road, but it gets expensive and complicated.

I am sceptical of range and charge times manufacturer claims in real-world usage.

I have two good friends who are prominent moto-journalists, and both have reviewed electric motorcycles. They state while fun and intriguing, with amazing "right now" full torque, the weight distribution, balance, CG and suspension geometry make them not handle like a "regular" motorcycle and they never felt fully planted in conditions other than a straight line. There are, however, some purpose-built electric motorcycle racers. The Isle of Man TT has an electric motorcycle class.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CB. Those are the battery technology issues that I refer to. Add that to marketing claims that outright lie about the capabilities.

Lithium Ion batteries have been fully explored and future improvements will be minimal with respect to range. Prices will go down as volume goes up, but range will remain the problem with Lithium Ion batteries.

Perhaps there will be a revolutionary new technology with higher storage capacities, lower weight, fast charge times and low cost.

Don't hold your breath on that.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CB. Those are the battery technology issues that I refer to. Add that to marketing claims that outright lie about the capabilities.

Lithium Ion batteries have been fully explored and future improvements will be minimal with respect to range. Prices will go down as volume goes up, but range will remain the problem with Lithium Ion batteries.

Perhaps there will be a revolutionary new technology with higher storage capacities, lower weight, fast charge times and low cost.

Well, we could repeal the Laws of Thermodynamics. That'd be a start.

Jan 9, 2004

So if the answer is not in the batteries themselves, then the solution will likely come from technological advances in charging, wireless or otherwise.

Your point on range claims is well taken. The claims are under ideal weather and usage conditions and are from a full charge to empty.

Put that into modern practice and you will find that the batteries over time will no longer fully charge. Add in traffic conditions at idle, use of climate control (heat/A-C), and those range claims shrink rapidly.

Now add in being away from a home charger and trying to get to that one charging station in the DR before your batteries are dead.

Then add in Dominican technology that will figure out a way to adapt that lone charger to provide power to charge cell phones............

The DR has not even fully embraced hybrids yet, let alone trying to embrace full EV's.

The car dealers in the DR have discussed EV's and are preparing for change one day.............that change is just not today...or tomorrow....or...

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tesla isn't the future. there are many new technologies coming. Here is the newest

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/New-Battery-Design-Could-Crush-Tesla.html

I have been following the battery technology area. Graphene batteries do have potential, but it remains to be seen how that potential will be fulfilled.

https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-batteries

If graphene turns out to be the best solution, then Musk's super factory could be retooled to make graphene batteries instead of lithium-ion batteries.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have been following the battery technology area. Graphene batteries do have potential, but it remains to be seen how that potential will be fulfilled.

https://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-batteries

If graphene turns out to be the best solution, then Musk's super factory could be retooled to make graphene batteries instead of lithium-ion batteries.

You beat me to it.  There is lots of development and research into battery technology.  At the moment the most advanced we have is Li-ion but they have their limitations.  But advantages include high current delivery, light weight and fairly economical to manufacture.  Downsides are complex charging requirements and potential danger when they explode or are pierced.

Perhaps there will be more development into miniature nuclear cells, like the ones that power satellites.  But if people have range anxiety now, imagine how they will feel driving around with their own Hiroshimas!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
As a general rule, I don't really see people outside the transportation industry traveling a few hundred miles a day for their regular commute. In DR, do you really think there's an expectation someone would exceed two hundred miles on a daily PriceSmart run?

And, there's plenty of charging stations - at their home. That's the one I've used nearly 99% of the time. 

Regarding costs, let's use the $.11/kWh mentioned by another poster. My car, a Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid, has a 7.6kWh battery which provides about 20 miles of real-world range before switching to hybrid mode. Note: that's a non-stop pull on the battery on a highway. In stop-and-go city driving, the regenerative braking probably increases that by 40-50%.

Anyway, $.11/kWh cost multiplied by the 7.6kWh battery capacity is around $.80 for the equivalent range that would be provide by a gallon of regular unleaded gas. Which I believe is sitting above $4.25 per gallon. 

So, a savings of $3.50 per gallon equivalent. And my car only has a fraction of battery capacity of a Tesla 3, which costs about the same new.

Personally, I like the idea of having a small engine to reduce my "range anxiety" issues. That said, for 90-95% of the driving someone in the cities or well-developed "tourist friendly" areas in DR would likely do, an electric car would be just fine.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Electric two wheeled vehicles face the challenge of where to put a battery of sufficient size to make them practical. And those batteries face the same challenge of charging as any lithium ion batteries. Where do you plug them in? How long does it take to recharge them, etc.

This company says they have a 223 mile range:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/range/

They are not cheap:

The DSR model with the ZF14.4 power pack starts at $16,495. The SR bike starts at $16,495 with the ZF14.4 battery. The Zero S with a ZF7.2 battery starts at $10,995. The entry level FX bike, the lightest and least expensive, still starts at only $8,495 when fitted with the ZF3.6 battery.Oct 18, 2017
2018 Zero Motorcycles: These electric bikes go farther and recharge ...
www.latimes.com/.../la-fi-hy-2018-zero-motorcycles-lineup-20171018-htmlstory.html
\

Charge times have come down, too. The Zero S, ST, DS and DSR bikes can be charged six times faster than previous models, when they are mated to ZF7.2 and ZF14.4 power packs. Using an optional Charge Tank accessory — a $2,295 upgrade — the ZF7.2 battery can recharge in an hour; the ZF14.4 takes about two hours.

Models with smaller batteries are more affordable:

A Zero DS with the small ZF7.2 battery starts at $10,995.
The DSR model with the ZF14.4 power pack starts at $16,495.
The SR bike starts at $16,495 with the ZF14.4 battery.
The Zero S with a ZF7.2 battery starts at $10,995
The entry level FX bike, the lightest and least expensive, still starts at only $8,495 when fitted with the ZF3.6 battery.
Models that go faster and farther cost more:

A Zero DS with the ZF13.0 battery and power tank accessory costs $16,890.
The DSR with the ZF14.4 battery and power tank accessory is $19,390.
The SR bike with the ZF14.4 battery and power tank accessory jumps up to $19,390.
The Zero S with a ZF13.0 battery starts at $16,890.
The entry-level FX with a bigger ZF7.2 battery starts at $11,390.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-2018-zero-motorcycles-lineup-20171018-htmlstory.html

Hard to find a home for many of these in the DR after what the DR government does to imports despite DR-CAFTA.

Thank you for contributing an intelligent, articulate, in depth response to my query.