Thought I’d seen it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Just another of many, many reasons I would never buy property or a house in the RD. way too much shady business going on.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pretend it did not happen. reporting to the authorities will only aggravate the case. people get killed for much less every day. i know that mr AE is dominican but looks like living in the states for so long has softened his edges, deep inside he must have known better than to get involved :(

land invasion and theft is the norm here. how do you think that people who do not seem to have 10 pesos to put together always manage to have a house or a land they call theirs? it's a struggle for the government too when they remove barrios to make way for infrastructure developments or because of the fragile location: sometimes they have to compensate not only the owners of the properties but also the renters. in other words, for every house put down they may need to give two houses/apartments. welcome to the pais de milagros.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
I'm sure your maid goes to bed every night praying for your health and well being hahaha. Dominicans in general are scumbags, there are a few decent folks but vast majority are scumbags, spending most of their time thinking how to get something for nothing, and whom to scam and rob. Sad reality.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Very distressed right now. He got there and snapped a couple of pics to show me how they’re dividing it and he was physically attacked. While screaming “no photos” they grabbed both his phones (one was in pocket of pants ) and smashed them while an older guy (he thinks either current or former military police) pulled out his gun and hit him in the head with it several times 

He came into the house with a blood soaked hat and blood streaming down his face.   He’s cleaned up and bandaged but you know how head wounds bleed. 

We’re both ready to go home in a week.   This country can be brutal 

Sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. Those folks have no regard for law or anything else. It's like the wild wild west. A couple of weeks ago my wife got mugged by two guys on a moto. She is ready to get the heck outta the DR. The level of delinquency and crime has been increasing too fast for our liking. Again, I am very sorry for what happened to Mr. AE. No one deserves that.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
But hey, this is a developing country, aiming at having nothing but LED lights and banks offering virtual wallets, right?

Truth be told, the country is so far behind that savages still exist, this OP is a testament of just that.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I'm sure your maid goes to bed every night praying for your health and well being hahaha. Dominicans in general are scumbags, there are a few decent folks but vast majority are scumbags, spending most of their time thinking how to get something for nothing, and whom to scam and rob. Sad reality.

Dominicans are not scumbags, they're survivors and opportunists and live in a dog eat dog world living of a couple of pesos a day. Everywhere where there's poverty you have this kind of behavior, if you would have been born poor you'd have been the same. You would have to otherwise you wouldn't survive.
Why you're bitching, you should be happy because of their poverty etc you're finally able to get some popola. ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Damn. So sorry Grace. Maybe Mr. AE should be checked out by a doc?

Again, animals!!!!!

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
When we bought land here in 2012, we bought as equal owners with another couple. Seemed legit. But we discovered that such an arrangement is completely foreign to the inheritance laws here which derive from Napoleonic Code. We were subsequently advised that if one owner dies, that owner's family inherits the land (first children, then parents, then siblings, then cousins, then uncles and aunts, then second cousins ad infinitum), then a surviving spouse can inherit if there are no other claims, then the State inherits. An abogado said we could partially short-circuit such inheritance guidelines by making handwritten wills and registering them with the court and attaching them to the property deed. However, there was going to be a degree of uncertainty about how such will-probating would go down - a bit risky, perhaps. We elected to pursue other options. But I think it is correct that if an owner dies and family does not make prompt claim to the property, then it will revert to "public" ownership after about six months. If direct family inherits and they are residents, they pay 3% property tax to transfer title, but if they are NOT residents, they pay exhorbitant taxes. So a deceased gringo's non-resident family will be very unlikely to make a claim - it isn't worth it, and besides that, they will never figure out how to do the transfer in the time allowed by law! Naturally, one should consult a reputable abogado before relying on this non-abogado's pronouncements :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Got the bleeding under control by bedtime, was bad because he takes daily aspirin. Only one of the head cuts was stubborn, but doesn’t need stitches. Because of where we live, I always have a fully stocked first aid kit, and took care of it myself. 

The guy caught hell from an assortment of neighbors, but he’s a bad seed from a bad family. Brother in jail for 20 years for murdering their cousin. Many hoped we’d get him arrested to get rid of him. We’re hearing about all his misdeeds  but we are getting ready to go home and won’t take this further. 

Owner died at least 6 years ago, and his son was here recently measuring the land, so for the life of me I can’t imagine what they think will happen to their little roped off plots. 

Yes, he sometimes forgets this isn’t the DR he grew up in. That was another era. His birthday is in 4 days, I’m glad he’s alive to celebrate this milestone, things could have gone much differently 

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Nothing in this country surprises me anymore. The utter lack of respect for someone's life or property seems to be normal.
Happens everywhere. My neighbour just across the street lost his wife last year. He has a nice house with water frontage. Less than a week after he buried her, strangers were knocking on his door asking him if he was selling his house. The OP’s original post more or less demonstrated the necessity of having a deslinde deed if you own DR property. Looked at a really nice two bed condo in Luperon harbour a few years ago. No deslinde so I walked away.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So sorry AE...maybe SD until you leave is not a bad idea. If anything a bit of peace.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE... he can stop the aspirin any time....

I did it for years and have thin blood to this day....

of course the wine helps... Naturopath me

haha
bleed like a stuck pig - as they say

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Truth be told, the country is so far behind that savages still exist, this OP is a testament of just that.

I've never travelled to a developing country that didn't have these exact
same problems.

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
re: Scumbags - if you live in a place where there are lots of gringoes, you live in a place with a reputation for there being an over-abundance of cash and opportunity. This in turn, may attract a certain scumbag-like element. However, my neighbors and I relate to one another almost like family. I have some trashy doomed-to-another-couple-of-generations-of-poverty neighbors, some could-have-been-well-to-do-but-can't-quit-drinking neighborsand some paragon-of-virtue neighbors. I love them all!
It would be foolish to say that another person's personality is all in my mind, but it is also true that the vast majority of people are basically decent, they can sense a lot about your atitude toward them through non-verbal clues, and if you greet them with honest joy, they tend to respond in that way. Try it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My wife and I were interested in buying a lot here in Jarabacoa. The owner was deseased and his widower, who lives in Santo Domingo was selling. There is a lady that has been farming this lot for the past 15 years without permission. She said the owner gave her permission the deseased owner say she didn't have permission and has been chased off several time. Now the squatter has got a lawyer to say that she is entitled to part of the property for looking after it for the past 15 years. The poor lady in SD doesn't have the money to fight this in court. We told her we are out of here.
Let me get this straight - the deceased owner was a lesbian ? Because that is the only way I know the surviving wife could be a widower.

Just teasin'

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Very distressed right now. He got there and snapped a couple of pics to show me how they’re dividing it and he was physically attacked. While screaming “no photos” they grabbed both his phones (one was in pocket of pants ) and smashed them while an older guy (he thinks either current or former military police) pulled out his gun and hit him in the head with it several times 

He came into the house with a blood soaked hat and blood streaming down his face.   He’s cleaned up and bandaged but you know how head wounds bleed. 

We’re both ready to go home in a week.   This country can be brutal 

Didn't you just get new iPhones ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yeagh , I agree, the priority here should be to go get that Head wound checked out .. Make sure he is ok..

I cant help but recall that story of the kid who got hit in the head with a baseball, and the coach said he was ok, the parents said he was ok... well he did not make it .. sadly..
Dont take chances , just go to a Doctor at least , have him checked out ..

Very Sorry that this happened to you and Mr AE..

I had a friend who got sucker punched coming out of a bar. At the time he was a young man. Went to bed thinking nothing of it but was awoken the next day and couldn't recognize his own family. Severe brain swelling, brain operation and then taking anti-seizure medicine the rest of his life.

After seeing his big scar we all called him zipper-head

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. Those folks have no regard for law or anything else. It's like the wild wild west. A couple of weeks ago my wife got mugged by two guys on a moto. She is ready to get the heck outta the DR. The level of delinquency and crime has been increasing too fast for our liking. Again, I am very sorry for what happened to Mr. AE. No one deserves that.

I am reaching that point myself - The violence and scams DR and legal targeting of extranjeros makes the island uninviting. Not to mention the constant cambios de la ley

Status
Not open for further replies.