Tires

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What do you think your lifespan is on these Hify tires here.

More than 2 years ?
I got 35 months and 25,000 miles from my HiFlys on our Explorer, and on some gnarly roads, maybe 25% on autopista before buying new kicks. And there was tread to spare. We sold them for RD$900ea.

The DR is hard on tires.

Opinions vary, but I am biased toward traction and lower heat than mileage.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Anyone have any experience, positive with this Chinese tire brand Hifly?

I would stay away from Chinese tires. You are better off spending a little more and getting a better quality. As you well know, tires in the DR take a beating and that is the only thing between you and the road. I once bought a tire made in Canada and it was a very good quality and the price wasn't bad. Sorry, can't remember the mfgr. name. Don't buy cheap tires you are throwing away money. The other thing to look for when buying in the DR is the date on the tire. If it is an older date the tires have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere and the quality is no long the same as when they were fairly new.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I would stay away from Chinese tires. You are better off spending a little more and getting a better quality. As you well know, tires in the DR take a beating and that is the only thing between you and the road. I once bought a tire made in Canada and it was a very good quality and the price wasn't bad. Sorry, can't remember the mfgr. name. Don't buy cheap tires you are throwing away money. The other thing to look for when buying in the DR is the date on the tire. If it is an older date the tires have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere and the quality is no long the same as when they were fairly new.
If your post was dated maybe 2003, it might be true.

But in 2018 the statement is no longer accurate. To assume that Chinese tire buyers are not as concerned about safety as North Americans is a silly prejudice.

Quality of Chinese products has made quantum leaps right before our eyes in virtually every category.

Tires are no different. Most manufacturers buy production equipment from the same vendors as "name brands", and that equipment is often not made in the US. They buy raw materials from the same vendors. They have pirated industrial process engineers and consultants from the name brands to oversee production. They employ and are judged by ISO9001 standards, just like the "name brands."

Most electronics are now made in China and few complain about quality---including Apple fanbois.

Harley and Piaggio have their parts made in China and few have quality issues with them. Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama and Continental are all there building tires in China, and Pirelli’s biggest factory is located there. Expensive Sony TV's are made in China.

I'm on my fourth set of Chinese tires on my SUV and E350 van (van LT tire pressure: 75psi) with *zero* issues after many tens of thousands of miles in the roughest of conditions in the DR. And I am a serious gearhead and know machines with wheels, wings, keels and transoms...including tires.

Buying a brand of Chinese tires produced in an ISO9001 factory is not throwing your money away. You just aren't paying for union wages and job rules, onerous environmental regulations, SEC and gubmint compliance costs, enemy-from-within HR departments and other expensive components embedded in every product.

The Chinese tires mentioned in this thread are DOT certified if US gubmint approval is important to you. Each is rated for traction, heat and wear. One can use these ratings in their purchase choices.

FWIW, a good friend from high school is an industrial engineer whose bulk of his consulting work is with Chinese tire manufacturers who are copying US technology and equipment, particularly from Firestone, under joint agreements.

But, as usual, opinions vary, some with more knowledge than others.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Remember when people laughed at the quality of South Korean cars 20 years ago?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
To ad to Cobraboys post if you are concerned on how old tires are look at the 11 digit DOT # on the tire. The last 4 digits are the week and year the tire was built. Example 2116 would be the 21st week of 2016. The UTQG ratings on a tire are treadware e.g. 600, Traction A,B or C, and Temperature again A, B, or C.
The higher the treadware number the longer the tire should last under ideal conditions. There is no magic formula on this to compute actual miles.
Temperature you want an A but no lower than a B. Same with traction. If the tire has a C on it you could probably build a better one at home.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the north coast, it is very difficult to buy anything but Chinese tires. I normally head to PriceSmart in Santiago for tires, but this time I went Chinese with the "Aplus" brand. We will see how it goes. They had two other choices in the size I needed at David's Tire Shop that were also Chinese and at similar prices. Even Torfilco in POP had nothing for me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I got 35 months and 25,000 miles from my HiFlys on our Explorer, and on some gnarly roads, maybe 25% on autopista before buying new kicks. And there was tread to spare. We sold them for RD$900ea.

The DR is hard on tires.

Opinions vary, but I am biased toward traction and lower heat than mileage.

Who bought them for $900ea, the tire shop or Corotos ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The tire shop sold them for me and kept $150 per tire as a commission. Used tires have value in the DR. The shop is the largest in Jarabacoa and are friends of ours. There was 1/16" of tread left before the wear bars so they were is decent shape.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The tire shop sold them for me and kept $150 per tire as a commission. Used tires have value in the DR. The shop is the largest in Jarabacoa and are friends of ours. There was 1/16" of tread left before the wear bars so they were is decent shape.
I am constantly amazed at how Dominicans drive on worn out mismatched tires and will stop at every other gas station to add air

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I bought tires in Nagua several yrs ago...
My old ones went neatly stacked out the back door.

I asked how much they trade them for ???

Nada - was the answer

Load them into my car.

I stopped at the first tire shop I came to ....
put them on the curb and hussled them..

2,000 pesos.. in 10 minutes.
Mind you I must have stolen a sale from the store

Happy resale guy = me !!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am constantly amazed at how Dominicans drive on worn out mismatched tires and will stop at every other gas station to add air

When I was broke as a kid I did the same thing.

Just trying to keep on keepin' on.

Makes you appreciate good rubber.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When I was broke as a kid I did the same thing.

Just trying to keep on keepin' on.

Makes you appreciate good rubber.
Yes it does and I did it too on my 63 Corvair but I see this happening on nice $45,000 SUVs, or near new cars, not just 20 year old Toyotas and Mitsubishis. Worn out and under inflated tires especially on wet roads are asking for the ambulance ride.
I think our Northern culture puts more emphasis on maintenance and good tires falls in that group. We have been conditioned.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dudes!!

If Cobraboy is buying them and using them with success, then they come pretty highly recommended. He and his team travel ALL over this country and Haiti, so he knows of which he speaks..

Thanks CB, I will look for them in the not so distant future.

Cordially,

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think David's Tire shop had Linglong tires, but here is more info on them:

I ended up putting on linglong crosswind tires.

Crosswind tires are made in China by LingLong Tires. The Crosswinds brand was created to compete on price with the cheapest tires on the market, but because it comes from LingLong, an experienced and well respected global tire producer, you can be confident that the tires meet or exceed the standards for the North American market. Crosswind Tires are available all-season and summer, tread patterns for passenger and performance cars, as well as SUVs and light trucks. The brand is widely distributed in the U.S. and Canada, and has earned a good reputation for decent quality at low, low prices.

LIngLong can make the tires inexpensively because of the huge economies of scale that they realize by building multiple mass market brand tires on the same highly efficient assembly lines. The tires still feature the very latest advances in tire technology but the huge output of these tire plants keep the costs low. For example, Crosswind Tires passenger tires have made important advances in low-rolling

Read more
https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/crosswind-tires

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By the way, if you can find Hankook tires anywhere here, I recommend them. They were the original brand on my 2003 Santa Fe and lasted longer than any others I have purchased including the Bridgestone Potenzas I purchased at PriceSmart in Santiago.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
By the way, if you can find Hankook tires anywhere here, I recommend them. They were the original brand on my 2003 Santa Fe and lasted longer than any others I have purchased including the Bridgestone Potenzas I purchased at PriceSmart in Santiago.

If you are in Higuey you can find them. Next to La Sirena in Higuey is a Tire shop that features Hankook.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is the 8-ply light truck tire, HiFly AT601, with max. inflation pressure of 90psi we put on our 15-passenger Ford E350 van. We run 65psi in the tires because we rarely have a maximum load. In all manner of rouhg and wet conditions they have performed most excellently. Al, four were RD$23,000 with balancing and alignment:
31X10_5R15HIFLY7744E6.jpg

This is the tire we run on our Explorer, Comforser CF1000. We chose to go with an all-terrain tire this time over the former highway tires because of some unpaved roads we travel. The set was I recall RD$23,000 with balancing and alignment. They have performed well, including a non-event panic stop:
COMFORSER_CF1000.jpg

We've put enough miles and experience on these tires to have no problem with the purchase of future Chinese tires.

Last edited: