Uber users?

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I would recommend buying an "Uber Gift Card" with a credit card. The balance of the gift card will be placed in your account and you can deduct each ride from that. I have used that before. I think this would be best if you are concerned about linking a bank account or credit card.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I used a credit card linked to my Uber account while in DR without problems. The card was registered with the Uber account while I was in the US. The charges were in pesos and converted to dollars at market rate. I never experienced any issues.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Interesting to see that a lot of the anti cash people use the problem of the driver not being able to make change for their large bills as a concern. I thought the quest for small bills was the way everyone starts their day in the DR.

I am anti cash. The advantage of uber is cashless. I have used uber in US, DR, CR, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Mexico, Brasil etc etc etc. Was in mexico twice in last month. First trip I arrived with 500 pesos, second trip zero pesos.

Ubered everywhere and used CC for food. Even a 2 dollar water at conv center. Conrast that with currently having 450,000 colombian pesos in my wallet. I probably have a few hundred in leftover currencies from prior trips. Mexican trip? No leftover pesos!

Even in DR if have 10,000 pesos in wallet, but will spend 2,000 on taxis it eats into my beer budget. Also arriving and just getting out of car and on with my life is huge. No waiting for change, or no change while the driver blocks two lanes of traffic oblivious to 40 cars honking.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
One more thing I recommend using UBER in the USA, DR or anywhere for that matter is taking a screenshot of the quote along with the driver's information when the quote is received. This record will help you in case UBER overcharges you. You can dispute the charge and use the evidence. I have done this numerous times and received a credit/refund. Many people don't catch this and UBER must be receiving a lot of money from customers and the customer has no idea of the overcharging.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I would recommend buying an "Uber Gift Card" with a credit card. The balance of the gift card will be placed in your account and you can deduct each ride from that. I have used that before. I think this would be best if you are concerned about linking a bank account or credit card.

Registering CC with Uber is the same as with amazon. Dominican Driver has zero access. Mute point.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Cash works but the advantage of Uber is the credit card ofcourse. And the driver doesn't have to do wth that so I have no problem at all using my cc with Uber, never had a problem. Trips mad in the US are also seamlessly charged on my banco popular card.

What Uber must do though is screen their drivers better. Too often lately I have a beaten , dirty old car with an unfriendly driver playing loud Dominican 'music'. 

Today I had a perfectly clean Toyota Camry though with a friendly, professional driver.

I just tell the drivers to change the station and/or turn it down. I haven't had any get an attitude with me about it.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I have never used uber in the DR, only colombia, and US. In any case, the app shows the exact amount of the fare prior to the driver's arrival.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have never used uber in the DR, only colombia, and US. In any case, the app shows the exact amount of the fare prior to the driver's arrival.

Not in Santo Domingo it does, it shows the estimated fare. The real fare depends on time and distance. 

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So you don't know your Uber price in Santo Domingo? Because of time it takes to get there?

It gives you a good idea because they estimate taking in consideration the traffic, but if for whatever reason distance our time are different you'll be charged more.

zack59

Jun 12, 2017
jbars, I was told Uber Gift cards were for US only. Did you purchase them online with your CC? And it was accepted in the DR?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

SosuaEnVivo

Nov 13, 2014
Used uber 4 times without incident in Santo Domingo Norte. Cash each time. Never over 260 pesos. Always a good vehicle.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Uber is supposed to be operating. I have seen cars available sporadically in Sosua. I think car availability is still a hit & miss proposition. At least in Sosua, you can't go to bed with the plan to take an Uber somewhere at 8am the next morning with any degree of reliability.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are many options...

Apolo, Anacaona, Cabify and Lyft... at least in Santo Domingo.

Would think Apolo operates in Puerto Plata. Give it a shot.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have become an UBER convert here in SD. I am getting close to the point where I use them instead of driving my own vehicle.