Uber users?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Of course taxi drivers play games, I've argued with lots of taxi drivers but I find Apollo or Aero to be a little better. I just ask the central beforehand how much it is. It doesn't matter if there's a traffic jam, that's what you pay.

Uber gives you a fare estimate in advance. If it is extra heavy traffic time and a surcharge is in effect that might be one of the few times you might opt for Apollo or Aero.

Let me ask you this. How many times have you gotten a fare with Apolo or Aero for 100 pesos or less for a short trip? I think the cheapest fare I was charged for a short trip was 79 pesos.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It was too late to edit but the 79 pesos fare was with Uber. I have taken several short rides with Uber and been charged 100 pesos or less. No way is that going to happen with Apolo or Aero, no way...........

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Uber gives you a fare estimate in advance. If it is extra heavy traffic time and a surcharge is in effect that might be one of the few times you might opt for Apollo or Aero.

Let me ask you this. How many times have you gotten a fare with Apolo or Aero for 100 pesos or less for a short trip? I think the cheapest fare I was charged for a short trip was 79 pesos.

What time do you usually use it? That's an important factor.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

It's not that important here in Santiago because traffic doesn't compare to the gridlock in the capitol. I have to drive down today and have a few meetings there over the next couple of days and although I schedule the meetings around non traffic peaks, it is still a nightmare. I am hoping to try out that new Thai restaurant in the Zona Colonial while I am there.

Apolo is the largest company so you have a mix of decent and horrible drivers. I used to use Aero every day to go from Gazcue to the east side and then High Class to return. I ranked both of those as better than Apolo but that was a number of years ago and now I am almost always driving.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

In SD Centro I use Uber from as early as 6AM and as late as 2AM at night. In general I usually try to avoid going anywhere in SD Centro central between 5-7PM unless I can go underground. I hate, double hate just sitting in traffic.

I started using Uber when they first came to SD about two years ago. I can recall once, maybe twice the Uber fare might have been 30 or 40 pesos more than Apolo and that was due to extra heavy traffic and high demand for Uber with a driver shortage. I was forewarned but still elected to use Uber.

Just my thoughts but you will not find a better car service to use than Uber.

Only time I don't use Uber is when arriving at SDQ. I just find it worth the $10 USD extra to reserve a mafia taxi and be promptly whisked away from the airport on arrival.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Uber is easy to use, cheaper, cleaner, respond quickly and I love not having to hassle with the change.  The Thai restaurant on the Conde is a must visit.