Uber users?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Tried Uber for the first time last week and paid cash. The guy overcharged me and at the end of the trip pretended his GPS topped and he didn't know where the destination was. I'm staying with Aerotaxi....even though some of their cars are pieces of junk.
Having said that, I got relatives and friends who are delighted with Uber and use it all the time.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Tried Uber for the first time last week and paid cash. The guy overcharged me and at the end of the trip pretended his GPS topped and he didn't know where the destination was. I'm staying with Aerotaxi....even though some of their cars are pieces of junk.
Having said that, I got relatives and friends who are delighted with Uber and use it all the time.

Don't form an opinion on one experience. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I was in the Capital the past two days I actually park my car (hate driving in the capital) and use Uber to get around.. trust me uber is point here in the capital also is very safe and never had a problem ... its so freaken easy and kool...and much cheaper....and no money exchanged.. plus I was tried of getting pulled over for (DWBAG) driving while being a gringo in SDQ

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
jbars, I was told Uber Gift cards were for US only. Did you purchase them online with your CC? And it was accepted in the DR?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I purchased them online here in US. You may be correct about where they can be purchased and used. I not 100% about the rules for them in the DR.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
One other tip, use a well known point of interest if possible when ordering your ride. For example, a bar or restaurant or well known store. I say this because I had problems and Santiago. The GPS seems to suck for a lot of these Uber drivers. This seems to ensure a proper pick up and no headaches calling the driver asking where he is.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

You got overcharged once but using taxi service you will pay more every time (or almost depending on how bad traffic is). I have my Uber on my card so no payment. You can rate the person 1 star (I don't think there is lower) and email them about what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a credit.
I'll take Uber over taxis any day - although I usually am driving.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was in the Capital the past two days I actually park my car (hate driving in the capital) and use Uber to get around.. trust me uber is point here in the capital also is very safe and never had a problem ... its so freaken easy and kool...and much cheaper....and no money exchanged.. plus I was tried of getting pulled over for (DWBAG) driving while being a gringo in SDQ

LOL ......... DWBAG ...... just for that reason alone is enough to want to use Uber especially in la capital. I have taken a few short rides with Uber and charged as little as 82 pesos.

Any complaints with Uber should be followed up with an email to Uber customer service.

I generally rate all the drivers 5*. They need to maintain I believe at least a 4.5 rating. So if I use the Joe Blow taxi guy on the street corner as my benchmark the Uber drivers are indeed 5*. I have been offered bottle water, Halls drops, use of their Wi-Fi connection all with a smile.

It has actually been two years now since Uber first came to la capital. (http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/154131-Uber-in-Santo-Domingo?highlight=uber) Nice to see some of the original critics are now supporters.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Don't form an opinion on one experience. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

I hear you, but the more time you spent in the car, the more convenient it is for them, which can make them more likely to try to run little tricks, e.g. taking you on longer route. Plus, traffic jams are also convenient for them. People I know don't use it during rush hour. Problem is, that, in SD traffic is a lot.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I hear you, but the more time you spent in the car, the more convenient it is for them, which can make them more likely to try to run little tricks, e.g. taking you on longer route. Plus, traffic jams are also convenient for them. People I know don't use it during rush hour. Problem is, that, in SD traffic is a lot.

I can honestly say none of those things have ever happened to me. Every single trip I've made (and I've made more than a few) has been as pleasant as a trip can be.

My other half uses UBER frequently to go to her classes, and she has yet to have a problem with the.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

All one has to do is email Uber and that driver is history although I don't see it happening.

Using Uber during the worse rush hour traffic the fare may very well be higher than Apolo. You would normally receive notice from Uber a surcharge will be in effect. You simple decline and use Aero Taxi.

I would never go back to Apolo or Aero or the street corner guy as long as Uber is available. I pay with CC and all is fine.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Signed up in Santiago and was floored by the service and quality of vevicle. No 1991 Toyota Carola with cardboard for floor mats covering holes. Only used at night and weekends and the amounts always were within price quoted. I am a change bug so always have way to many small coins to pay close to exact fare. Most drivers appreciated that I paid in cash saying it was better for them. I do believe some of these cars are running all day with multiple family members using one Uber registration for 3 or 4 drivers. Sort of like how the girls in Sosua all uses the oldest sisters cedula.....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

And you think taxi drivers don't play games??? When I was using taxis every day I was almost in a fight with them every day. They hear my gringo accent and tell me a price that I KNEW was too high. I demand they call dispatch, and after arguing and getting ****ed off they call dispatch for the price and 95% of the time I was right or MUCH closer to the actual fare then what they initially quoted.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
And you think taxi drivers don't play games??? When I was using taxis every day I was almost in a fight with them every day. They hear my gringo accent and tell me a price that I KNEW was too high. I demand they call dispatch, and after arguing and getting ****ed off they call dispatch for the price and 95% of the time I was right or MUCH closer to the actual fare then what they initially quoted.

I had a carroconcho change to a taxi once and demanded taxi fare for a simple concho ride.

junglemonkey

Jun 24, 2006
you can register your credit card or choose to pay in cash.
I use credit card mostly but sometimes select cash.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Anyone use UBER from STI to Sosua? How much was it?

I'm flying into STI tomorrow and plan on using UBER. The App is quoting me 1700 - 2300 pesos to Sosua.... If it works out I'll be jumping for joy.  

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Of course taxi drivers play games, I've argued with lots of taxi drivers but I find Apollo or Aero to be a little better. I just ask the central beforehand how much it is. It doesn't matter if there's a traffic jam, that's what you pay.