US Coast Guard Kills 1 Dominican

A

Abraham S.

My letter to Mr. Andy.

Dear Mr. Andy,

I want you to dig out any of my post that had being disrespectful to anyone, personal attacks, slants of any kind?

I was angry when I posed the first message of string, I made a mistake of saying it was the USCG and the Puerto Rican Police, Who patrols the Puerto Rican waters, the USCG does, it was a mistake and I already stood corrected.

Everything that these board had done is to say how sucky the DR and his people are, there are a lot of posts saying how "stupid, thieves, and malicious Dominans are", all I have done is to defend my nationality, if you want to bend backwards to please these people because you want to make a few bucks, then be my guess, but I am not going to see on my ass while I read lies and slants against me and my country.

>Your disrespect and negative comments to posts?

What posts? say one, one of my posts that is disrespectful, now, negative?, if they are slurs, like the ones you and had being seeing posted here everyday you?ll bet yer ass you?ll have me responding.

Like Caonabo Gauteroux says, ?Usted no puede bajarse los pantalones para que le den una pela?

O

Onions and carrots

Re: At least Abe aint a sellout

Its about truth. Its about saying the truth. Not a one sided rosy picture of how wonderful life is in the DR. There are more problems than good stuff in the DR and until those issues are seriously addressed DR will continue to suffer.

A

Andy

Re: At least Abe aint a sellout

If you don't think "I tell is like it is" then you havn't been following this board, Traveler's Advisory to the DR Forum (commonly referred to as Bravenet) board or my own board, Welcome to Samana for very long. In fact, I have been chastised for sometimes being entirely too blunt and truthful. And no, I don't belittle the Dominican people, I just lament what this society has become. And you know something? All my Dominican friends say exactly the same thing. I still address the issues in the hopes that exposing some of these ills will somehow assist in curing them. But there are ways to expose them and there are ways to expose them,... if you catch my drift.
Sellout? No I haven't sold out but in fact, I've bought in.

A

Andy

Re: My letter to Mr. Andy.

At least I had the decency to reply privately to you instead of posting publically as you have just done. Your action sort of blows your image and gives us a glimpse into the real you, doesn't it?

J

JP

Re: Correction

It's people like you who never stop putting oil on fire?

Why should this be???

What are your reasons?

&

"El Grandullon"

Re: Very clever Abe

"HERE-HERE" Well said.Hope I meet this "Abe"someday.Not much chance tho, cause once I flush the toilet,I rarely follow "IT"
down to see where "IT" goes!

"EL GRANDULON"

D

Dee DeMusis

Re: OH REALLY!!?

My goodness!!! Y'all are sooooooo vitriolic [en fuego] about his incident. What's new about the US Coast Guard? That is one of their mandated jobs. Unfortunately, conditions exist that drive Dominicans to resort to daring the Mona. They should NOT however be mistreated.

To the individual [Abe?] who said that gringos, Canadians, etc. should be put in front of a firing squad...EXCUUUUUUUSE ME--
tell me-- are you a relative of the late Trujillo? Why are you so filled with hate??? You tend to forget that alot of those whom you want shot come to the DR to WORK for and with the people to improve the standard and qualityof life there...more than likely you included!!!

This is nasty talk, sir. I know a lot of Americans [I detest the term Gringo] who spend a lot of time and money for and in the DR [myself included] and it is NOT for anything else than assisting to build and supply schools and medical clinics.

Please get off your damned high horse and come to your senses.

As for the Haitian kids going to Dominican schools-- at least THEY value education-- which is more than I can say for a lot of Dominicans. If the DR government gave more priority to education, alot of the country's problems could be eliminated. So many of the people I worked with on my mission assignment were too poor to buy even a pencil-- now-- tell me how they are supposed to acieve anything higher. There are many seats in DR schools that are not occupied by its citizens-- so why pick on th Haitians.

I am NOT a Haiti lover...quite the opposite. The government of Haiti has its head in its butt and is forcing their citizens to do desperate things. By the way, there's a lot of similarities between Haitians and DOmincans-- many of them are trying to get here [USA]. I live in New YOrk and have seen many people from the two sides living together in the same neighborhood and working together-- WHY IN HELL CAN'T Y'ALL DO THAT THERE??

Don't splatter me with ignorant insults-- I am going to marry a Dominican man in the next few months and I am an adopted member of the familia y la comunidad.

Watch what you say-- it could come back on you!

C

Cathy

Re: OH REALLY!!? ABE, this letter is for you!

Dear Abe,
I have been living in this country for almost two years now. I am a missionary, and I am American. I have become a loved member of my community. I have donated enough food to people in need to stock a supermercado , I have taught english classes to teenagers who want to work in the tourism business to better their station in life, I have distributed medical supplies to the sick, I have made arrangements and even paid for surgeries needed by the children of my neighbors, I have started a church congregation in our community, I have taught basic principles of money management to my neighbors, I am in the practice of starting a local arts and craft business for the benefit of the single moms here so that they can provide for their fatherless children. (I have also taught them that no child of God is fatherless) I have founded a Christian youth baseball league. I found your "firing squad" comment to be very offensive. I don't know you, but my heart tells me that you are a very wnwise person who spews venom carelessly and you are too ignorant to even realize what you are doing. All of these acomplishments mentioned above were done with the help of other Americans and Canadians working side by side with Dominican Christians. I spend much of my time asking others to come here and help accomplish even more. Do you think they will want to come to the aide of your countrymen after reading all of the hate and violence that you are spitting out? What give you the right to hurt other people. To destroy their opportunities for aid. I understand your hurt and anger over the situation in Puerta Rica. But don't you see that the efforts of people like us are exactly what is needed to build this country up, to educate these children, to provide jobs, to change what is wrong. The people we help won't need to take dangerous midnight rides to escape the hardships here in this country. Their lives are improving already. Please stop making our efforts so much harder. Hate and anger only breed more hate and anger. Please stop. I can tell that you are very passionate about your people and that is a good and wonderful thing. Use this passion and energy in a more possitive way. Start something good, help someone today. Make it a point to make someone's life better so they don't feel the need to get on a boat. If everyone would do this, this country truly would be paradise!
Paz en Cristo,
Cathy

H

hlywud

Way to Go " Cathy"

One of the best post I have seen in a long time.

"Think, think, think what you trying to do to me" these where the lyrics of a song in the movie Sister Act.

If Abe would you that phrase he would know what his venomous attack where doing to his people.

A

Abraham S.

Oh My God

I think you people need take your medicine.

I POSTED A NEWS ABOUT A DOMINICAN YOLA BEING SHOT AND RAMMED BY A PUERTO RICAN COAST GUARD, SOME PEOPLE REPLAYED SAYING "WHO CARES?" I THEN REPLAYED SAYING WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF WE PUT MACHINES GUNS IN THE BORDER KILLING ALL HAITIANS WHO TRY TO CROSS THE BORDER?. OR BETTER YET, KILL ALL GRINGOS WHO ARE ILLIGAL, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?, SOME REPLAYED SAYING THAT THIS BARBARIC ACT OF RAMMING A YOLA FILLED WITH INNOCENT DOMINICANS WAS AN EXAMPLE TO OTHER ILLIGAL DOMINICANS TRYING TO GET TO PUERTO RICO.

A

Abraham S.

what are you, blind or something?

Why don't you read the entire threat instead of posing as a
Mother of Calcuta?

Please read the entired thread for crying outloud!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Re: Oh My God

You say somebody replied saying who cares? YOU said that. Here's your post from the "other" board: Date: 07/20/01 10:01:22 AM
Name: Abraham S.

Email: abe_asu@hotmail.com

Subject: US Coast Guard Kills 1 Dominican

The US Coast Guard rammed a yola filled with Dominicans, one person was killed, but who cares? they are a bunch of Dominicans?, right?

C

Cathy

Re: what are you, blind or something?

Abe, I did read the entire thread. In one sitting, starting with your first letter accusing the USCG and ending with my letter to you. In fact I read all of the threads related to this subject. I have no interest in getting into a battle of words with you. I simply felt the necessity to point out the damage that you could be doing to the people whom you profess to care so deeply. I thought that you, being so caught up in your anger, might be helped by having someone, in this case me, shed a different light on the situation. I simply was reaching out to help you and hopefully prevent you from hurting others. I will reach out one more time to suggest that you do as I did last night and read all of your letters. In my oppinion, and obviously the oppinions of many others, they are filled with much hatred and bitterness. I don't mean this as an insult, but if you, after rereading your letters, are still unable to see this, you might consider doing some serious soul searching, possibly with the aid of a clergy member or a counciler. I apologize for spurring you on further and I wish you peace.
Cathy

O

Onions and carrots

What I mean by sellout

What I mean by sellout is when Dominicans like you smile at every thing that the Gringos say and do. Why don't they say to them what we say to each other? Mire hombe echate pa ya,mire aqueroso,hablador,y es facil, mamahuevo and many other Dominican terms of disagreement or doubt are never used when speaking to foreigners. We Dominicans usually sellout by stating that "A ellos todo le luce". Well, paesano I don't subscibe to that ideal. I treat foreigners like I treat my compatriotas. Truth, honesty and reality, not sugarcoating things to appease foreigners. I treat people DOMINICAN STYLE. If they get offended by this I give them alittle intro to our culture and thats it. They can't come here trying to change who we are as a people.Tea time is for them ,not for me. Thats why I like Hipolito, a man of the people and not a sellout like Leonel Fdnz.

O

Onions and carrots

Re: what are you, blind or something?

Cathy keep up the good work in the DR. Your a gem of hope and light to us. I am proud of your work but stay out of politics.Remember separation of Church and State. You don't seem to understand how sensitive this is to true ultranationalist Dominicans like Abe and myself. Your magic wand or cheery faces ain't gonna change what happened.

A

Andy

Re: a million viewers? c'mon. doubtful.

Disbeliever,

Believe it. Our hosting service provides us with a record of hits, unique visits, amount of space used and so forth. Even in the slow months we average over 100,000 hits with almost 15% of them being unique - meaning the visitor spent some time perusing the more than 130 pages and 11 mb of website size that we have grown to in LESS THAN ONE YEAR. Our highest month to date was January '01 with 173,000+ hits, only our 6th month on the 'net. And we are very grateful for the local support we have recieved with our customer base now over 40 businesses, and growing.

More importantly than hits is the amount of new business that Samana.Net has generated. In my travels around the peninsula I have been told time and again by our customers that we generate business for them, and in some cases, enough to make up for the lousy year suffered by much of the rest of the north coast hotel industry. Just yesterday it was reported in the Listin Diario that Samana suffered a 20% drop in tourists the first 6 months of this year. However, it was also reported that the English and French tourist component actually improved. Although I'm not going to openly take credit for that, guess which languages Samana.Net is currently offerred in (English and French) and we are adding Spanish, German and Italian. We're just starting the Spanish translation now and it should be finished within several months.

And the American market? Not only do they make up the largest percentage of our site's viewers, but for the first time a significant number of American tourists visited our area. Coincidence? I don't think so as hotel after hotel tells me a lot of their American guests came because they saw it on Samana.Net.

So you can believe it or not, but I KNOW we're already making an important difference. Welcome to Samana (.net that is).

A

Andy

Re: What I mean by sellout

O&C,

I'm not a Dominican but one of those "gringos" that you and your fellow Dominicans enjoy bashing about so much. So you see, I haven't sold out anything. In fact just the opposite. I'm doing everything I can to improve the DR, at least the Samana part of it.

S

samana disbeliever

Re: a million viewers? c'mon. doubtful.

Hits are one thing. Viewers are something else. Hits mean NOTHING. One visitor to one page with 100,000 "pieces" would be 100,000 hits. You said a million viewers. Please post a screen print of your stats or say you exagerated --- by far.