US Coast Guard Kills 1 Dominican

A

Andy

Re: a million viewers? c'mon. doubtful.

I DIDN'T EXAGERATE and if you would care to drop by I will show the stats to you. For obvious reasons I won't post them. The report contains priviledged information. Many of our clients see them regularly as I share this information with them and with the local Minister of Tourism.
Also I guess you are completely ignoring our unique hits/visitor status.

O

Onions and carrots

Oh so your a gringo

,well that explains it all. Its common for gringos not to understand Dominican idiosyncracies.Instead of spending so much time promoting Samana, how about understanding Dominicans and their culture.This way you can get closer to the real DR which is quickly disappearing. I don't bash gringos but what I hate is when I see my own people wanting to imitate everything that gringos do.I mean EVERYTHING.Behaviour,clothing, food, and all things in between.Thats why you have those people over there in Italy opposed to the G8. Its the same thing. Globalization wants to convert the whole world into a USA clone. Boring and the same thing wherever you go will millions are enslaved to being mere cogs for MNC uses. I don't know you personally but I dare say from reading your posts that you are of a similar mold.

A

Andy

Re: Oh so your a gringo

O&C,

I'm into my 6th year here and my Canadian wife is starting her 16th. At this point we pretty well understand the Dominican mindset and a lot of its idiosyncracies. What we DON'T understand is all the negativeness that seems to be generated not by foreigners, but by Dominicans like yourself. It's like you seem to take pride in airing your dirty laundry for all the world to see. What are you hoping for? That potential immigrants will not want to move here and that all of us foreigners will leave (but leave our money, our investments and especially the Americanized improvments that Dominicans can't seem to get enough of)?

I don't care to debate the Americanization of the DR or any other country. However, what I would like to know is why do you live in Miami if you believe the US and all it's values are so evil? Why aren't you back in your shack in Mao?

O

Onions and carrots

I'm in the US because of disgustingly evil protectionist agricultural policies by the US which have basically destroyed the Dominican farmer.The US can keep subsidizing their farmers.Their prices havre been in the toilet since the 80's.The US wants everyone to abandon their land and fill the Capital as squatters.Unfortunately for them my family has been doing quite well in agriculture despite the USA.

The US wants small countries like the DR and all 3rd world countries to become completely dependent on them Do you know how? Well by filling up every hectare with crap megastores and all inclusives etc. Also they want to eliminate every small countries armed forces.Defenseless, unable to provide food for itself and effectively becoming totally dependent on the US. They further this ideal by coming across as the good guys for the mess they started in the first place.

Two American inavasions wth Lyndon as a complete idiot.The people wanted Bosch so why didn't the US stay the HELL OUT.Puerto Rico is a prime example of a complete slave of the US. Now they protest Vieques yet its too late.

Why am I in Miami. I'm finding alternate sources for my gramps and a small group of Cibaeno farmers to sell their produce.I also hedge in the American agriculture futures markets to offset the difficulty in the Dominican food market. Lately food staples in the DR are on the supply side and a glut has hurt the farmers also.I did catch a good move in corn with a 3000 dollar per contract move in a week.Unusual but it did occur.
I don't hate the people because if the ignorant mass of football and beer guzzlin Americans were aware of the problems the US created they would never have allowed it.What I hate is a gov't that doesn't care to change the past. By the way I'm a fan of Clinton and Gore.

Any more question Bubba!

A

Andy

Its every man for himself, bubba. Its not the American protectionist policies thats causing grief to the Dominican farmer. Its the DR government and their financial policies, price supports, etc. And as a matter of fact, food (especially vegetables) cost too damn much in the DR. We pay more for vegetables here in the DR than we pay in Publix or Winn-Dixie in Florida. Even seafood costs more here. Beef and pork is a little cheaper. The average Dominican can't afford to eat anymore. Even our foreign guests complain about the cost of food. The Americans complain less as prices are about the same or slightly cheaper.
Don't blame this on the US, too...bubba.

S

samana disbeliever

Re: a million viewers? Ha ha ha. No way.

Obvious reasons? There aren't obvious reasons to not show a screen print of your stats report. If there were confidential information, you are welcome to crop that info out before posting. A million unique visitors in a year to your Samana page? No way. I wonder what else you make up besides your stats. Your page is very nice. I just don't believe your stats claim. I doubt anybody else does either. admit your "mistake" and regain at least SOME credibility.

A

Andy

Re: a million viewers? Ha ha ha. No way.

Again I repeat my invitation to you to come to Samana and view the stats. But then you probably won't do that as that would reveal your true identity. I post under my real name and address. Why don't you?

In your attempt to discredit Samana.Net (and besides calling me a liar) you failed to address the most important part of the original post: that is that we are CREATING A LOT OF NEW BUSINESS for Samana. Although I didn't mention this before, I get calls and e-mails from new advertisers wanting to join Samana.Net. They've heard about the good we are doing for Samana's tourism industry and the business we are generating and want to be part of what we call "Partners in Progress." We are backed up well over a month in building new customer pages right now, in addition to building several large home-page sites for some of our customers. It's nice to know you're wanted, especially by the people that care about the economic health and well-being of our peninsula.

And finally, hits generate business. The more hits, the more business is generated. And as we are generating a LOT of NEW business, it stands to reason that we must be getting a LOT OF HITS. Simple math. Simple logic. And you're right, we've got a darn good website that works and works well. Just ask our clients.

A

Andy

Re: a million viewers? I knew Andy was all BS

As you have chosen to personally attack me I will not respond to you any further. By the way, what is your real name? Afraid to tell the world who you really are? Only someone or some "thing" LESS than a real man hides behind an alias. Put up or shut up.
Now if you'll excuse me I have a lot of work to do.

S

samana disbeliever

Re: a million viewers? I knew Andy was all BS

Andy says his little web site gets a million visitors a year. He isn't a bad guy, but he makes stuff up.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Andy,

You are new at this and hits mean nothing. Unique visitors are what matters. Your site is the 870,966th most popular on the net. Dr1 is the 111,408th most popular, and Hispaniola.com is
the 66,763rd most popular site on the net. Dr1 probably gets a little over 1 million unique visitors per year. Therefor you are no where near 1 million visitors per year. Sorry.

A

Andy

I said a million HITS per year with about 15% being UNIQUE VISITS. Samana Disbeliever said "Visitors." Regardless of what you think, I invite you to also come to Samana and I will be glad to share the stats with you. Nony, you should know better.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Hits mean nothing. Everytime one of my pages loads and gets a picture from my files, it counts as a hit. What matters are unique visits which in your case are 15% of 1,000,000 or 150,000

Stats are no big secret. Most sites are happy to give you their stats. My host server recently changed their stats program supplier. Completely different than the month before. I don't know what to believe. It only matters if you are selling advertising, which I don't.

More important is how many pages are viewed by each visitor. If they only view one page and then move on, they are hardly worth counting.

The next time you are in Puerto Plata, let me know and we can discuss this at length over beers.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Andy,

Here are my stats for last month. No secret.

Analysis for the Month of June, 2001.

Server Activity Totals for Period:
Total sessions served : 20522
Total hits made on server : 196480
Total page view hits : 23467
Total non page view hits : 173013
Total time spent by all sessions : 1705428 seconds

Based on hits, I have 2 million plus visits per year. Wait, no because June is about my slowest month. If I project January it would go through the roof.

Based on sessions served it is only about a quarter million visitors per year. In fact, since the Winter months are much higher, I am somewhere between 400,000 and 500,000 visitors per year. Nothing compared to Debbie, DR1 and Hispaniola.com who can legitimately claim 1 million plus visitors per year.

What really matters in my case is the quality of the traffic.

http://dominicanresorts.com

S

samana disbeliever

I refer you to http://dr1.com/board/index.cgi?read=61023, where you claimed "over a million viewers a year on my website". Viewers, visitors, whatever. Your site doesn't have anywhere near that kind of traffic and you should know better than to make that kind of a claim. Andy, if you have any integrity at all, admit your mistake and move on.

A

Andy

That's what I said in the very begining, that we got over a million hits but about 15% were unique visits, the visitors that spend time on the site. And in my next post I also said that what's more important than numbers is that we GET NEW BUSINESS for our clients. That's more important than any numbers generated. Samana Disbeliever (who's posting from Santo Domingo) tried to turn it around in an attempt to discredit us.

I guess Samana.Net is starting to worry a few people even if we only rank 870,966, (out of what, a billion?).

A

Andy

The original post said HITS. Can't you read English? Or is that your second language and you're having a problem with syntax. Admit what? That we get more business for our customers? That's what's important,... not your continued ragging.

Now excuse me, I've got to get back to work on some new client pages. Look for them on that little-known, big website that seems to present a threat to you.

D

douglas

1,000,000 hits doesn't surprise me a bit

Why is it so difficult to beleive that a million people visit a site that promotes information regarding the fastest growing segment (and most interesting)of interest to the DR, ecototursim? This is definetely the "up and coming" tourism in this country, no other site offers comprehensive information, and all messages are promptly answered. There is no negativity, personalities do not overshadow information, there are no talks of rebaellions or who is the most popular board member, just figure it out.

You have a site where people seek information about a very viable industry, they are answered promptly with information from locals or frequent visitors, these same people are very Internet savvy, it really doesn't take a genius why this site (Samana.net) is growing and the others are declining.

Provide a service and people will use it, I do. But that is only our vacation dollars that Samana.net attracted, and few friends :)

Just my $2,500.00 worth

Douglas

It seems quite reasonable to me

Douglas

D

DR1

*** Thread Closed! ***

Hits, uniques, sessions etc etc, who cares? At the end of the day it comes down to the postive impact your site makes, the results you bring your sponsors and how much you make. If the surfers, sponsors and bank manager are happy, then you have done a pretty good job!

samana.net is by far the best resource on the net covering that region and it's free! I suggest some of you spend more time promoting this country and doing something useful than worrying about another sites stats.

Rob.

D

DeanO

People are looking for up to date Info

Agree with you Douglas,
People are looking for real, up to date informations. Beside www.samana.net I found www.domrepinfo.com beeing hip and with a new fresh look. You will find top 10 songs from DR ready to download in a MP3 format. That is COOL!
DeanO