US Marines Occupy Haina and Embajador Hotel. 82nd Airborne Lands at San Isidro.

Apr 26, 2002
MommC said:
Dominican Republic - USAID, IMF Pt.1

By J. Clancy. 11 January, 1996

Neither Noam Chomsky nor Eduardo Galeano have a kind word to say about US invasion and continued repression of this section of the Caribbean, "which with Puerto Rico, Haiti, Barbados, Leewards and others of the 'Sugar islands' were incorporated one by one into the world market and condemned to sugar until the present. Grown on a grand scale, sugar spreads its blight on a grand scale, and today unemployment and poverty are its permanent guests", states Eduardo.

With a history of claiming hegemony over all of South America, interference in Dominican affairs only increased when uprisings against Spanish genocides of indigenous inhabitants occurred, or US repression became unbearable. In 1916, Marine Corps General Smedley boasted, "I brought light to Dominican Republic for American sugar interests". In 1965 the last US invasion began with 40,000 Marines, CO General Palmer, who counted 4000 enemy dead and who "intended to stay indefintely in view of the reigning confusion". Actually the confusion was the poverty occasioned by the steep drop in sugar prices on the world markets, aided by the repression and injustices by the US approved govt, combined with the US fear of another Cuba- type uprising whereby people fight for the return of their US- stolen property. (most from Ed Galeano).

Noam adds more enlightenment with, "Bloodbaths carried out by counterrevolutionaries are regarded favorably, as they are in the interests of passive population stabilising of the Third World. But US govt and media tend to hide the killings, torture and terror inflicted on the dissidents. This is described as readjustments, or lately, bundled under the term 'structural adjustments', and is true whether the bloodbath destroys the full organisational apparatus of the population base of radical movements -as in Indonesia- or kills more modestly to permit rightist totalitarian rule as in the Dominican Republic.

From 1965, there has been a total, extensive and systematic terror-control by the US in a client-fascist, death squad State system of control of the Dominican people. Their El Nacional newspaper on Dec 30 reported 186 political murders and 30 dis- appearances for the year, -a media understatement when compared with such deaths in Brazil, Guatemala and many other US clients...

This quote was taken from MommC's post to another forum. I quoted it in part here on account of MommC's being subject-challenged. Though dated and credited to a far left-wing source (Noam Chompsky), it is actually very relevant to this thread - particularly, I think, in regard to Jefe's remarks that the invasion was as much about protecting US corporate interests as about stopping the spread of commumism from a Cold War chess game perspective.

I don't agree with Chompsky, though. I have not heard about any threats by Bosch or Camaano against US interests. And I still don't understand why the US could not have waited to see if there was a real threat prior to invading. I think the whole thing was a knee-jerk reaction to Cuba and a message to Vietnam and others. I will provide citations for my position later in the day.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Subject challenged hmmmmmm!?
I posted it in the other thread because it relates to US invasion of the DR.....Which is what the other thread (which was removed from this thread) is about!!
I look forward to reading your citations later in the day.......
While some may think I'm 100% anti-American that is only a half (50%) truth. IMHO the US has been and is setting itself up as a world dominator. Unlike Hitler or dictators or other "communist" entities they are using democracy as their standard. How democratic is it to invade any country to protect "US interests"?
If other countries didn't allow Americans to have "interests" in their country they would be safe from invasion. Of course the US doesnt always have "interests" in the foreign country it is just "interested in" the foreign country as an avenue to further promote US "interests" elsewhere!

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
Street memories.

It?s been 37 years since this thing happened and I remember very little of it. Most of the facts were expressed on an early post and to be frank, there are not too many baby boomers around here. Only by digging out books or if you are really lucky, and know someone that was in higher circles during those days, you could find out more evidence.

I?ll tell you what, as part of the Chusma, for a long time I did not know what happened. I only remember that one day we turned on the TV to watch one of the two channels that were in existence and in one of them was a very well known entertainer waving a Machine gun - Saddam style - and sporting two bullets belts across his chest, a la Pancho Villa, with an incessant blabber about a revolution.
When that station went dead due to no electricity, Radio Bemba - the rumor mill - took over.

Speaking about confusion! Here are some of the headlines.
The arm forces were surrendering to the revolts (everyday)? Santiago felt to the revolts? Hombres Ranas (Dessident Special Forces) were in charge of the country? Bosch was on his way from PR (daily) ready to retake the presidency? Viva la revolucion!

That is, until one afternoon the Marines showed up and after two days of blasting cannons, split the city in two.
They formed a corridor from Haina (I guess) through Ave San Martin and all the way to the only bridge at that time (Duarte) to San Isidro, the military base.
We ended up on the north side (Chusma class), Ciudad Nueva and San Carlos (Middle class) were to the south. You had to go through check points to go from one side to the other.
Soon after we had dozens of Hues flying constantly and an old DC-3 with big horns, flying around very low, telling us to boil the water.

Worst thing: until the uprising only the police and businessmen - with proper permit - were allowed to carry guns, after that you could see kids with real guns imitating cowboys anywhere in the city.

Best thing: When we returned to school the board decided NOT to give us final exams, so we all automatically passed.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Compare the US to the last half dozen "Superpowers"
Spain
England
France
Soviet Union
Germany
Japan
All of those countries were dedicated to World conquest and subjugation.
Does the US want to protect their self interests? Of course we do. But we are the only Superpower in history that does not want territorial expansion nor subjugation of its enemies!

Tony

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What a wonderful post Pepe! Great!

Having no memories of my own (I wasn't born untill 5 years later) I asked mom if she remembers something. "Nothing", she said, when the "revoluci?n del '65" happened nobody in Monte Cristi felt anything... I guess you people in the capital had all the fun.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Great history lesson Pepe.
In the late '60s, I remember attending school until about 1pm. Then going home to have lunch and having the afternoon off. I was told this was left over from rioting so the kids would only have to be in danger in school busses once a day, instead of twice. It was in those afternoons I read Nancy Drew novels in English during "siesta", and hung out with my friends until supper. That's where I learned Spanish!
I remember a riot in '69 when a rich American, maybe Rockefeller, visited SDQ. We lived in Santiago. It made me scared to visit la Capital.
So much has changed since then. Much hasn't. IMHO Americans wouldn't be as patient as the Dominicans are.
mk

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My mother and my father met just before the invasion in 1965. They were both very instrumental in organizing some of the revolts against the Trujillistas and the invaders.

They very much lived through this. Some of my uncles barely escpaed with their lives on many occasions. I spoke with my Aunt last night about the USA and its role in Latin America. She is an extremely intelligent woman (as my mother and father)....and so I take her opinion very seriously...the main reason the USA interneved is to protect the USA economic interests in the region...Juan Bosch did not like the idea of selling (giving away) las empresarias naccionales to foreigners like the USA.

Take a look at who actually owns the DR basic national businesses like the phone services. Its the foreigners. Take a look at how long they have owned it....yes since the early 60's.

According to my Aunt, what happens all over Latin America is that the USA supports those governements who allow the USA to buy businesses on the cheap. The local governments then in return get huge monetary kickbacks. Only rarely does this type of intervention require military action.

Think about this. What would happen if a leader came to power and declared all fraudulent contracts signed by Mejia to be null and void. The justification being: it was stridently clear that Mejia was stealing a major portion of what he was borrowing, the lenders were complicit in the crime and thus deserve to be punished by non-payment? What would happen then?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Threat to Americans As False Pretext for Invasion

In Stephen Shalom's article in "Z Magazine" (Shalom is a Political Science Professor at William Paterson State University in New Jersey)(http://www.zmag.org/zmag/articles/Shalominterven.html), he notes that:

- There was no real threat to Americans, and not a single American was attacked.

- That protection of Americans was used as a false pretex for the invasion.

- That there were practically no attrocities of any kind committed by the Constitutionalists.

- That, remarkably, LBJ administration officials explained that "although they could only identify a few communists amidst the rebel forces, Castro had begun with just twelve men and Hitler at one time had only had seven supporters."

Shalom does note attacks by the Constitutionalists on the property of wealthy Trujilloistas. Jefe believes that it was this type of event that really led to the invasion.

Another fascinating piece is the LBJ Library's oral history interview with Ellsworth Bunker, US special ambassador to the DR and later ambassador to South Vietnam (connection, hint, hint)(http://www.lbjlib.utexas.edu/johnson/archives.hom/oralhistory.hom/BUNKER-E/bunker3.pdf). To the extent that you can believe Bunker (he believed that the DR was a functioning democracy after 1965 - a "model for the Caribbean" he said).

Bunker is confusing. On the one hand, he says that the reason for the invasion was fear of communism. According to Bunker, the US embassy was sending messages to Washington that the Constitutionalists were communist-led, and LBJ believed it. This is why the troops were sent in. However, after the invasion, the FBI and CIA learned that there were no more than 65 communist agitators in the whole country.

But Bunker maintains that the Marines were originally sent in to protect Americans, while also admitting that the US Embassy was "overexcited" about the danger to Americans. He then goes on to say that the force originally designed to protect Americans was converted into a "peacekeeping" force because the OAS was complaining about the invasion.

Bunker concludes that the actions of the Constitionalists were the result of military and class opposition to the military junta.

Bunker also notes that the US maintained covert control over all OAS forces.

Finally, from the US Army's Command and General Staff College, confirmation that "CEFA", a.k.a. Wessin & Wessin's Air Force and the only remaining "loyalist" military unit in the country, had been defeated (http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/yates/yates.asp):

"The situation was "deteriorating rapidly." The MAAG chief, who had that day returned from Panama and visited San Isidro, had informed him that the general atmosphere among the Loyalist leaders was "dejected and emotional, with [a] number of officers weeping" and Benoit claiming that without U.S. help, the officers would "have to quit." In view of these developments, the Country Team had reached the unanimous conclusion that the "time has come to land the Marines." [US Ambassador] Bennett's final sentence was unequivocal: 'I recommend immediate landing.'

And according to a synopsis by the William Joiner Institute for the Study of War of the University of Massachusetts, "the Constitutionalist army was victorious and ready to attack the San Isidro headquarters of Wessin?s army". (http://omega.cc.umb.edu/~joiner/Domincan symposium.html).

In sum, then, the US invaded when it became convinced that Wessin & Wessin had lost, and not when the threat to Americans reached any threshold. And even if there was a threat to Americans, the evacuation from the Hotel Embajador would have cured it.

The true reason for the invasion? I believe that Jefe is partially correct. The lack of communists amongst the Constitutionalists suggests that the real reason was to protect US corporate interests from left wing (but non-communist) reforms. But the invasion was also to SEND A MESSAGE to Vietnam and other countries that the US was ready to up the stakes in its using its military to oppose communist or even, in the case of Latin America, even left wing uprisings.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the affirmation of what I was saying Porfio!
Too bad by post on the "apathy" rather than the "patience" of current day Dominicans was deleted!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I was there in '65

same as El Jefe. I haven't actually given much thought to those confusing and tragic days in some time. Interesting to note the differing opinions from people and "historians" who weren't there.

In 1965 the Dominican Republic was governed by a 3-headed president; a triumvirate. The chairman was Donald Reid Cabral, an intelligent and interesting man with whom I conversed several times prior to the revolution.

My perspective is necessarily different from El Jefe's as I was up in San Francisco de Macor?s at the time. Rebel troops captured the power plants and radio stations in the capital first thing. There was non-stop military music with a spattering of announcements promising the return of Juan Bosch who was (I think) in Puerto Rico at the time.

As others have said, there were battle rifles everywhere. At one point a couple of 2 ton cattle trucks arrived at the town square in SFM and, after a brief revolutionist speech, rifles were freely given to all who wanted them. I remember US DC3's slowly circling over the palm trees and dropping leaflets with anti-communist messages.

There were checkpoints and roadblocks at all entrances and exits of all towns in the republic. They would make you get out of the car, search you, look in the trunk, etc. and ask for ID. Then you proceed through town. Upon leaving town they repeated the searches.

Many of these checkpoint searches were conducted by rag-tag groups that often included boys of 14 or 15 years old. Those were the scariest moments to me. A shaking 14 year old with quivering fingers wrapped around a perfectly lethal battle rifle pointed at me.

There was no effect in SFM when the Marines landed at the capital, some folks actually cheered. OAS became the official peace-keeping force as previously stated, but none has mentioned that OAS also tried to stabilize the economy by making government payrolls, etc.

Most of these OAS teams were composed of US citizens; all were unarmed except for the MP's who guarded the payrolls (all were paid in cash, since banking was "iffy" during that period). A couple of the team members were bilingual, others were career diplomats.

Since I couldn't perform my job during that time, I served as a guide and interpreter for these payroll details. We went to all the small towns, barrios, etc, and paid the teachers and government employees in an attempt to prevent total economic collapse.

The food distribution system pretty much shut down. There was some food hoarding by the wealthier citizens. Other OAS member countries sent food donations which we tried to distribute as fairly as possible. And I have the scars to prove it!

I got up very early one morning (probably the only time I arose at 4am) and left to accompany a semi tractor trailer down to the capital to pick a load of donated food stuffs. Powdered milk, flour, rice, etc. Well the rebel forces chose that day to attack SFM.

After capturing the power station and the emisora, the rebel forces were finally engaged by the Dominican Army and small firefights broke out all over the city. Other Americans in SFM decided that it was no longer safe to stay in town. My roommate hired a publico to transport the six of them down to the capital.

Partway down to the capital their jeep rounded a curve and were hit head-on by a Dominican Army jeep. 2 of my American friends were killed; all were severely injured except for my roommate. Not a scratch!

Believe it or not, there really was partipation from OAS members other than the US, both militarily and with humanitarian aid. Mexico and Brazil come to mind.

It was an unsettling period in Dominican history. Everything was pretty much over by the summer of '65, though I do recall an incident in December (?) at the Hotel Matum in Santiago. "Unknown" forces attacked the Matum by firing 105mm recoilless rifles, etc. Probable targets were family members of one of the revolutionaries who was killed in battle.

Now I have a headache. :(

Swede

Apr 26, 2002
Swede - Thanks for the first-hand info.

Jefe and Mondongo - The more I look into the '65 invasion, the less I like what I see as one of its major purposes. To me, though, the "smoking gun" would be some communication by GTE, United Fruit, Gulf and Western, or some other US business interest to Washington seeking military intervention in the DR.

MommC - I'm not saying that the lessons of '65 and the theory that the whole invasion was in large part about protecting US investments don't apply to the DR and other places today. I think that many people reading the sources in the postings will come to their own conclusions on how applicable these facts are today and whether much has changed. I'm just trying to keep this thread focused on the historical aspects.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Great post Swede! I must congratulate the posters in this thread. This must be one of the best threads ever on DR1. The 1965 Intervention through the eyes of witnesses. Doesn't get any better.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Por......I also was hoping to get more posts like Swede's and El Jefe's while relating the historical to present day. I think if more of us were aware of the "history" we would have a better understanding of "current" events and might even see a pattern developing soon enough to bring pressure to bear on our gov'ts so that "history" doesn't repeat itself.....
Keep those historical posts coming!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your decision to remove the chaff from the wheat was a very wise one. What we have now is a historical document that should be of interest to future users of dr1. I just wish there were someplace where timeless information of this nature could be kept so that it wouldn't get buried.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I had intended to revisit this thread the day after my last post to add a few other details. Have been unable to do so until now 'cuz my internet provider was down for 5 days.

Curfew: There was a countrywide curfew in effect (6pm to 6am IIRC) every night. Dominican military squads dealt very harshly with violators; many beatings and several deaths resulted. There was no electricity, so it was actually easy to sneak down to the colmado for some jugo or whatever. The only lights were candles and headlights from military jeeps. Can you imagine a Dominican night that is completely quiet?

Food Aid: Well meaning but poorly informed countries grossly mishandled this opportunity to help. Example was Mexico sending many tons of corn meal to be made into tortillas! Much of this corn meal ultimately became livestock feed.

"My" OAS Team: Was highly qualified and highly motivated. Team leader was head of USAID mission to Mexico. Language officer was Chairman of the Dept. of Romance Languages at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs. His native languages were Spanish and Apache, with English being his 3rd language. Radio operator was a 26 year lifer; a Sergeant in the US Army.

Payroll: These payrolls were paid to government employees with freshly printed bills (printed by a US printing company, I believe). Money was flown in via Huey's with a couple of MP's as armed guards.

BTW, the official monetary exchange rate was 1:1. Yup, that is one Dominican Peso = one US Dollar!

Swede

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Food Aid

Swede,

Were you there when a lot of the foodstuss AID sent would end up at the Mercado and at Wimpy's Supermarket. The Dominicans who recieved it would sell it on the black market and then buy their rice and beans and platanos. AID never seemed to understand they needed to provide the local foods, not canned green beans.

Mommc,
Am reading John Bartlow Martin's memoirs. Will throw some of his stuff on here soon to show what he thought after years away from the problem. Have also tried, unsuccessfully so far, to contact his son Dan who was a friend of mine. Thought he might give me a little insight that I don't remember. I was out in the US when the revolt started then to Cabo Rojo, so did not get to spend time around Martin during the negotiations. Would have been interesting. While he was an extreme liberal, he was probaly the best ambassador for those times. Of course during 65, Tap Bennett was the ambassador but he played little part in the settlement of the revolt.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks El Jefe.....would appreciate it. I'll check this thread first when I get back to Canada in Nov!!!!

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
How we got there.

For those who have not read the overwhelming amount of info on the previously posted links here?s a short recount of the ?65 uprising.

After the death of Trujillo, the US decides to make a democratic example out of the DR, a showcase to show Cuba and the rest of America(fat chance). The only men with the capacity and talent to run the country all felt under the shadow of the dictator, so they were automatically out of the race.
Make no mistake about it; Trujillo was surrounded by a group of top-notch individuals.

The democratic process starts with an idea Dominicans never heard of before: presidential elections. Out of the blue ? from exile ? comes Juan Bosch. His charisma and enthusiasm wins him the presidency.

He proved to be erratic and leaning too much to the left. I remember that as soon as he got elected he went traveling all over Europe (maybe behind the iron curtain) and was very irreverent to the ?Uncle?. Needles to say he was deposed by the military a few months later.

?El triunvirato? took over the presidency, with Donald Read Cabral at the helm. But running a country is a lot more taxing than running a car dealership (his business), and the whole thing leads to another fiasco. So again, the military decides to take matters on their own hands but this time around they are divided into several factions.

Their idea was to start a new gov?t or bring new elections, but most of them DO NOT want Juan Bosch, who was again in exile.
Wessin?s group was better equipped, so the faction(s) opposing him had the "brilliant" idea of arming the population. Military trucks stopped at street corners of SDQ to distribute loads of guns an ammunition. But the armed civilian population goes for still another strategy--- to bring Juan Bosch from exile to complete his term. Noble cause, wrong direction.

All hell brakes lose as the US opposes the return of Bosch to the presidency. In the melee the civilian population takes the brunt of the casualties, since the Military know how to play the game of war.

That is how Balaguer becomes the next elected president (and again, and again). Whether we like it or not, he was one of the very few men with the experience necessary to run the DR, reason why until he died, most younger politicians used to seek his advice.

Disclaimer: The above info is only a compilation and not necessarily accurate.
For more details, search above links so we can elaborate in the subject.
I could provide more info about living in the city during the revolution.

Pib, you were lucky, you don't want to live through one of these things. I still remember the peculiar sound of bullets when they hit human bodies.