USD/DOP

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
49 : 1 from Western Union at Plaza Lama a trusted messenger returned. Three hours before now. Also, that service provided upon request, my to date point to point transactions over a specific period of time.

Why?

It's been 49.3 to 1 for more than a month.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I do not ever remember the Banco Central "official" exchange rates nor bank rates being above Casa de Cambio rates.....it may have happened, but I honestly cannot remember a time.

Best I can remember is that they were the same............but never higher.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Maybe it depends on where you are. I can say with 100% certainty that BC rates have been .05 to .1 pesos above every cambio in Cabarete and Sosua that I've seen - the same in reference to CaribeExpress. Very occasionally they are at par and on very rare occasions I have got maybe .05-.10 pesos more than at BC.

I have seen some posts where people were occasionally getting .1 pesos more at one specific cambio in Santiago than at BC.

Your post on 4/27 said you got 49.3 in Santiago. This was the exact same rate BC was offering on that date.

The majority of cambios are a rip-off!

Last edited:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
How about we use a real transaction, by a real person, who posts on DR1....

That can be accomplished by watching our own Exchange rate thread. The date someone posts when/where they actually got a 50:1 rate can be used as the official date.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I suggested a major bank with a website, so that it is verifiable with a Printscreen, or by simply logging on to the website, vs possibly having an endless debate as to the legitimacy of someone claiming a 50:1 rate, since so many people have found differences between towns, banks, locations, bona fide exchange services etc.

Not that anyone would EVER disagree on DR1 . . . . . lol

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I suggested a major bank with a website, so that it is verifiable with a Printscreen, or by simply logging on to the website, vs possibly having an endless debate as to the legitimacy of someone claiming a 50:1 rate, since so many people have found differences between towns, banks, locations, bona fide exchange services etc.

Not that anyone would EVER disagree on DR1 . . . . . lol

Major banks generally have the worst exchange rate in town!

Jan 9, 2004
Major banks generally have the worst exchange rate in town!

On that we can agree.

When the rate actually hits 50:1 whether at BanReservas or a casa de cambio, it will be a major
news story. The only question is who will be the first to offer a real exchangeable rate.....not just a published rate.

My guess is that they try to hold it under the 50:1 psychological level through the end 2018....thus 1/2/19.

Good luck to all.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
Well, if Banco Central raises rates in lock-step with the U.S., that would negate some of the effects of a strengthening dollar.

FYI

The US FOMC is expected to raise interest rates .25% today.

This may put pressure on the Peso to begin to move closer to a 50:1 dollar exchange rate.

With 2 more US rate hikes predicted this year, and without the Banco Central raising rates to protect the Peso, 50:1 could very well be on the horizon before 2018 has concluded.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Jan 9, 2004
Well, if Banco Central raises rates in lock-step with the U.S., that would negate some of the effects of a strengthening dollar.

Yes it would..........but so far they have not. The rate has been at 5.25% even as the US has raised rates several times.

What is happening however is a whiff of increased inflation in the air............which likely add to the decline of the peso vis a vis the Dollar/Euro etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
Well, good for the tourism industry. Bad for anyone looking to convert to USD. Not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on your perspective and what you are looking to accomplish.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
On that we can agree.

When the rate actually hits 50:1 whether at BanReservas or a casa de cambio, it will be a major
news story. The only question is who will be the first to offer a real exchangeable rate.....not just a published rate.

My guess is that they try to hold it under the 50:1 psychological level through the end 2018....thus 1/2/19.

Good luck to all.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

What is the latest rate? Did it hit 50 yet?

Jan 9, 2004
Emerging market currencies around the globe, including the DR, have been feeling the inflationary effects of interest rate hikes in the US.

The Banco Central in an attempt to head off a sharp devaluation of the peso has increased its monetary policy rate by .25%.....from 5.25% to 5.5%;

https://www.bancentral.gov.do/a/d/4029-bcrd-incrementa-su-tasa-de-politica-monetaria-a-550--anual

The effect of that will be higher borrowing rates in the DR for consumers, but a slowing of the devaluation of the peso against the dollar.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
In light of the recall of the US ambassador and another US interest rate hike in September, you can expect to exchange USD at 50:1.....soon.

Those two events are causing concerns for merchants who are trying to buy dollars in anticipation by them of a bump to 50:1

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The cambio rate could be unusually active this week. My clients currently need to reverse exchange large amounts of pesos for dollars and are again having difficulty sourcing those dollars.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Looks like 50+ is starting to stick now-at least on XE.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The cambio rate could be unusually active this week. My clients currently need to reverse exchange large amounts of pesos for dollars and are again having difficulty sourcing those dollars.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Funny you mention this.

Our cambio has called the last two days asking if we needed any USD exchanged ay 49.75, and no premium for less than USD$1,000.