USD/DOP

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
I am aware that the spread on CAD is going to be wider but I do not know how wide,that is the reason for my question. I am not in Canada but have a Canadian dollar account in Canada and if the spread isn't too bad I plan to cash checks from the Canadian bank at my local cambio in Sosua but right now I am in the states therefore I am asking what the exchange rate is between CAD and DOP at the cambios.

https://www.bsc.com.do/~bsccom/

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It being that I am selling a house in Canada... I'm watching the CAD-US conversion closely.
My advisors tell me to expect a small improvement in Oct/Nov...

Might get worse later on....

80 cents would be considered a good deal - they say

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It was 49.85 when you made your bold prediction that it would pass 50. Keep up the good work...........

Jan 9, 2004
It was 49.85 when you made your bold prediction that it would pass 50. Keep up the good work...........

Actually, it was not 49.85 when I made a guess............not a prediction......as can plainly be ascertained by reading this thread or the exchange rate thread.

Do you have something of substance/factual to add to the topic of the thread........or is this just another drive-by shot.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes I have. Anyone that is alive and living in the DR knows that it has been over 49 for some time now. So you sticking your neck out and saying it will be over 50 by the end of the years is comical at best. And don't waste your time with some BS response because I have stated a fact and am done here.

Jan 9, 2004
Last edited:

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

The best that I've been able to find to convert USD's here in SD is at Caribe Express for RD$49.80 as of today, so for most of us it is still under $RD50-$1USD.

On another note, I can hardly understand how this is sustainable in the long run and thinking this country is going to end up like Panama-Ecuador-El Salvador-making the USD the country's currency.

Jan 9, 2004

That is for those currently needing to purchase/buy dollars.

For those looking to purchase/buy pesos, i.e., sell dollars..........we are not quite there yet.

However, it looks like within a week you will see cambio's/banks offering to purchase/buy dollars at 50:1.

Someone will likely report 50:1 soon........in the Exchange Rate thread

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Banco Popular has to be the worst place to exchange USD. Yesterday their window rate in Cabarete was 49.35.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not all. I got 49.80 at Banco Santa Cruz last week. That was more than any of the cambios around here were offering.

This is the exception, not the rule. That rate is good, but no problem finding the same at the Exchange places.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is the exception, not the rule. That rate is good, but no problem finding the same at the Exchange places.

It was a problem up here. There weren't any that could beat that rate. There's always one or two cambios mostly in Santiago or Santo Domingo that offer slightly better exchange rates but, if you don't live there, or nearby, what difference does it make?

Even if some cambio were offering 49.9 last week, and none were reported on this thread, that would only make 100 peso difference on exchanging $1000 USD. It wouldn't even be worth driving to Sosua for that small of a difference.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not all. I got 49.80 at Banco Santa Cruz last week. That was more than any of the cambios around here were offering.
I got thsat today, hjowever my cambio discounts US$3 for a check under US$1000.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was a problem up here. There weren't any that could beat that rate. There's always one or two cambios mostly in Santiago or Santo Domingo that offer slightly better exchange rates but, if you don't live there, or nearby, what difference does it make?

Even if some cambio were offering 49.9 last week, and none were reported on this thread, that would only make 100 peso difference on exchanging $1000 USD. It wouldn't even be worth driving to Sosua for that small of a difference.

I enjoy watching these posts and find them informative about the general direction of the exchange rate

But as far as the hair splitting... the daily differences are insignificant (IMO) to my way of thinking.

When the shift gets from 45.7 to 46 and a bit for example... we're seeing the trend.
The impact on the old pocketbook is negligible

Jan 9, 2004
I enjoy watching these posts and find them informative about the general direction of the exchange rate

But as far as the hair splitting... the daily differences are insignificant (IMO) to my way of thinking.

When the shift gets from 45.7 to 46 and a bit for example... we're seeing the trend.
The impact on the old pocketbook is negligible

And that would be a correct observation involving the negligible impact on most people.

However, my clients who are regularly exchanging large sums..........need to, and do...........pay close attention to the exchange rates as they can have a large impact on the profitability of their business.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed
the larger amounts swing further....heavy wins every time !!

I just did a large Cdn to US conversion and I shaved the rate/fee...
it helps !!

Hard to wangle the rate but the fee changes dramatically with larger amount

Basis points went in half for the exchange fee....
$1-99,000 dollars is expensive

The banks have a declining scale....the larger the amount, the less basis points they ask for