USD/DOP

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So I dont change US dollars in the dr.
Do you guys who do get the same exchange rate, or less or more, when sending from abroad ?

I notice it when i send myself CHF ( picked up in DOP ) that the exchange rate is better compared to when I change them here.
50.21 to the CHF as opposed to just under 50 here.
Strange no ? Considering the dr needs foreign currency.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Funny you mention this.

Our cambio has called the last two days asking if we needed any USD exchanged ay 49.75, and no premium for less than USD$1,000.

My ATM card for a withdrawal of 30,000 RD was at 49.75 yesterday.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Can anyone tell me what the current exchange rate from Canadian dollars to Dominican pesos is at the cambios,not the bank rate,I know what that is. Thanks in advance.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Most Latin currencies are holding well versus the Doller, but for example Argentine Peso has devalued from 25 to 28 in just a week. That's after a substantial hike in the beginning of May from 20 to 25. Before that, it dropped from 17 in the beginning of December 2017 to 20 in April.

Going from 17 to 28 in just 6 months... Dominican peso is not doing that bad compared to ARS. If mods allow it, I would like to hear Playacaribe's take on why ARS devalued so much in the past 6 months.

As an historical note only, let’s not forget that the Argentine peso was introduced as locked to exactly one dollar, but then things happened; and decades ago the Dominican peso oro was one dollar. The old medio peso coins are the same as the Benjamin Franklin half dollars in silver content.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
So I dont change US dollars in the dr.
Do you guys who do get the same exchange rate, or less or more, when sending from abroad ?

I notice it when i send myself CHF ( picked up in DOP ) that the exchange rate is better compared to when I change them here.
50.21 to the CHF as opposed to just under 50 here.
Strange no ? Considering the dr needs foreign currency.

The transfer services such as Xoom.com offer worse exchange rates, and I am better off bringing USA dollars to an agencia de cambio. Many dominicanos in USA know that it is better to send dollars to a family member, and despite the transfer fee, that is better than sending dollars for pesos, because the exchange rate is where the transfer company cleans up.

The best rates are available but the delay is a factor, by depositing a USA dollar cheque into a dollar account in the Dominican Republic (if you can manage to open one with all the bureaucratic obstacles) and now you can withdraw dollars and bring them to wherever you get the best rate. Some agencia de cambio are licensed and legit whilst others are informal but still decent. If you left your passport at the hotel bring your dollars to an agencia de cambio, not a bank. There is no opportunity for money laundering because you are only exchanging banknotes for banknotes, not depositing anything.

One time I exchanged dollars and later read about the Banco Central cracking down on the informal ones, but these are like, a pharmacy that needs dollars to pay invoices so they open an exchange window to buy the dollars that the customers received in their remesas. Others are peddlers just trying to make a few pesos on the split between buy and sell rates.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Can anyone tell me what the current exchange rate from Canadian dollars to Dominican pesos is at the cambios,not the bank rate,I know what that is. Thanks in advance.

Beware that the spread between BUY and SELL rates on non-USD currencies is much wider than the spread on USD and you are probably better off buying USD in Canada and bringing that.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Beware that the spread between BUY and SELL rates on non-USD currencies is much wider than the spread on USD and you are probably better off buying USD in Canada and bringing that.
I am aware that the spread on CAD is going to be wider but I do not know how wide,that is the reason for my question. I am not in Canada but have a Canadian dollar account in Canada and if the spread isn't too bad I plan to cash checks from the Canadian bank at my local cambio in Sosua but right now I am in the states therefore I am asking what the exchange rate is between CAD and DOP at the cambios.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

I have a friend on the ground who is going to find out the rate. Stay tuned.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

The official B.C rate is 38.53. You usually get less at the cambios and even less if your cashing personal checks.

I might see a cambio rate tomorrow. I'll let you know.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

My friend checked two places and they both said 35.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have discussed this before

It’s worth doing the math...
switch to US$ in Canada...then wire or carry to the DR

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
We have discussed this before

It’s worth doing the math...
switch to US$ in Canada...then wire or carry to the DR
Hard to do the math if I don't know the numbers to do the math with,hence the reason for my question. If I change my CAD to USD in Canada I am going to take a haircut and then again when I wire and change from CAD to DOP. I can not carry it into the country because the amount exceeds the 10K undeclared limit. I can however go to the local cambio with personal checks from my Canadian bank,I hope this explains why I needed to know what the going rate at the cambios for CAD was,thanks.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
............. I can not carry it into the country because the amount exceeds the 10K undeclared limit. ...........thanks.

Just to clarify, you CAN carry more than $10K US into the country. You just need to declare it. Then be prepared to answer questions about the source of the funds and the intended purpose. (But for security reasons, probably not a good idea to carry that much cash).

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Just to clarify, you CAN carry more than $10K US into the country. You just need to declare it. Then be prepared to answer questions about the source of the funds and the intended purpose. (But for security reasons, probably not a good idea to carry that much cash).
This is why I stated "undeclared" limit...lol.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hard to do the math if I don't know the numbers to do the math with,hence the reason for my question. If I change my CAD to USD in Canada I am going to take a haircut and then again when I wire and change from CAD to DOP. I can not carry it into the country because the amount exceeds the 10K undeclared limit. I can however go to the local cambio with personal checks from my Canadian bank,I hope this explains why I needed to know what the going rate at the cambios for CAD was,thanks.

Well,
if you go thru the numbers of converting in Canada... then cashing those $$ in the DR
You'll know the break even point for your direct Cdn-RDpeso exchange.

That's what I meant....
The direct or the convoluted option...

Cdn $$ lack the appeal of the US$ - worldwide , I find.

My last trip to the UK from here - I had trouble scraping up UK pounds
Until a friendly member here helped me out
Cambios had nada !!

Try asking for Cdn $$ at the cambio -- like hen's teeth , I expect.

Jan 9, 2004
The US Fed is expected to raise rates by another .25 point today.

This increase coupled with oil at a 4 year high and seemingly headed higher, and no Petrocaribe oil to absorb the currency shock to the DR, will now likely push the peso to 50:1 before the year is over.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
.25 hike in US interest rates today. This will now start to ripple through emerging market currencies. The most vulnerable are Argentina, Turkey and a few others.

The question for the Dominican Republic is....Will the Banco Central follow suit like they did last time to slow the pesos fall in value?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope so. I want to by some more of those 18% "Special Certificates" that they issued about 7 years ago!