Vehicles in the DR..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Depending on how severe the problem is it dictates on how long the engine light stays off. My last Benz the 02 sensor would only stay out for about 5 minutes. When I finally got around to changing it, it was only a $100 jobber part and took less time to to change than to keep scanning it.
I was asked to bring my OBD computer here but when I asked if was to correct the problem or just turn off the light, everyone just wanted the light turned off.
So whats the point. I left it in Canada.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE has an idea, for when he becomes president. :)

Anyone who brings an old junker to Metaldom to be melted down, and forever taken off the roads, gets permission to import a car up to 10 years old tax free.  

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Anyone who brings an old junker to Metaldom to be melted down, and forever taken off the roads, gets permission to import a car up to 10 years old tax free.  

That won't work.

The "old junkers" are worth "way more" then the tax break. ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Depending on how severe the problem is it dictates on how long the engine light stays off. My last Benz the 02 sensor would only stay out for about 5 minutes. When I finally got around to changing it, it was only a $100 jobber part and took less time to to change than to keep scanning it.
I was asked to bring my OBD computer here but when I asked if was to correct the problem or just turn off the light, everyone just wanted the light turned off.
So whats the point. I left it in Canada.

the good thing about a decent scanner is that it can tell you how long the problem has been in existence, so you know how much abuse the car has taken in that area. and you are right...some engine light problems will pop the light back on after 5 or 10 minutes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My 2005 Jeep Wrangler check engine light will come on if i use regular fuel....
It's a NoAmerican model - imported.

I use 50/50 premium & regular and the problem goes away.
I bought a small scanner to check the problem

I always worry the light is telling me --
Your transmission will fall out in 20 miles -- or something that

Jan 9, 2004

Good concept on paper.....but would need tweaking to avoid the inevitable. The fear would be they won’t-can’t afford to buy a newer car.....so they would just sell their exoneration to the highest bidder....and there would be many......as the high taxes the government collects from the automotive importers is a main source of revenue for the government.

Tweaking the basic concept from Mr. AE, perhaps a waiver of the ITBIS 18% and the 17% first placa fee and a low no interest loan through the government, if they purchase locally.....thereby stimulating the local economy which has a current oversupply of used cars. 

That would help solve the current oversupply of cars, help to clean up the junkers plying the streets, and stimulate the local economy. 

Of course there would need to be other parameters to avoid the inevitable abuse.....perhaps the vehicles eligible must be at least 10, but no older than 15 years, a cap on the total amount of ITBIS and first placa that could be rebated/discounted by buying locally.

The idea has merit, but unless the politicos can figure out a way to personally benefit from it.......it will remain just that......a good idea.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My 2005 Jeep Wrangler check engine light will come on if i use regular fuel....
It's a NoAmerican model - imported.

I use 50/50 premium & regular and the problem goes away.
I bought a small scanner to check the problem

I always worry the light is telling me --
Your transmission will fall out in 20 miles -- or something that
The prior owner of the SUV we recently bought put a locking gas cap for a vehicle with a "no gas cap" design. The engine light came on. Seems that the cap affected the EVAP system and needs to be checked.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have observed many black smoke spewing diesel trucks and Jeepetas heading up the mountain to Jarabacoa. I think maintenance is a bigger issue than age.

...thats normally a sign the vehicle needs major motor work...$$$$$.....

Jan 9, 2004
The prior owner of the SUV we recently bought put a locking gas cap for a vehicle with a "no gas cap" design. The engine light came on. Seems that the cap affected the EVAP system and needs to be checked.

Yes, any vapor restriction will set off your check engine light.....and a locking gas cap will surely do that.....especially when the vehicle is designed to not need a gas cap,locking or otherwise.

The assumption is the prior owner was concerned about siphoning. Vehicles without a gas cap use a special fill system that prevents siphoning devices from being used.

On the flip side, do not run out of gas. That special fill system that does not require a gas cap also prevents introduction of a gas can hose/funnel.....so if you fear that running dry might be a possibility you will need to purchase a special funnel that can bypass the internal blocking mechanism.

Sounds like you bought a Ford.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, any vapor restriction will set off your check engine light.....and a locking gas cap will surely do that.....especially when the vehicle is designed to not need a gas cap,locking or otherwise.

The assumption is the prior owner was concerned about siphoning. Vehicles without a gas cap use a special fill system that prevents siphoning devices from being used.

On the flip side, do not run out of gas. That special fill system that does not require a gas cap also prevents introduction of a gas can hose/funnel.....so if you fear that running dry might be a possibility you will need to purchase a special funnel that can bypass the internal blocking mechanism.

Sounds like you bought a Ford.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 
Yep, he was afraid of siphoning. Yep, a Ford. Seems to have affected the EVAP cannister. Not a difficult or expensive fix, but a fix nonetheless.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The Rules:

Importing as a returning Dominican;

Vehicle no older than 5 years
...no liens;
Must be registered to you for a period of 1 year prior to importation;
Taxes are reduced...but not eliminated...and those taxes are lower than the already reduced taxes for residency.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I'm heart-broken:

While hanging out in Houston this past weekend, I decided to visit one of the Dominican car dealers in town, to inquire about the rules. The dealer assured me that as a returning Dominican, we can import any car of any age. I pressed him on the 5-year-old rule, but he insisted that it didn't apply to returning Dominican citizens. I walked away with renewed enthusiasm, as my little car is an '08 model, and I'd hate to leave it behind when I return next year.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm heart-broken:

While hanging out in Houston this past weekend, I decided to visit one of the Dominican car dealers in town, to inquire about the rules. The dealer assured me that as a returning Dominican, we can import any car of any age. I pressed him on the 5-year-old rule, but he insisted that it didn't apply to returning Dominican citizens. I walked away with renewed enthusiasm, as my little car is an '08 model, and I'd hate to leave it behind when I return next year.

edit post---

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
for those of you who might be planning to bring in cars under the residency provision, you can bring in a car that is over 5 years old. i did it, and i know quite a few people who did, so, unless things have changed recently, the 5 year old rule does not apply.

Jan 9, 2004
I'm heart-broken:

Send it......maybe your dealer has a "contact."

But the law.....just verified today with a large automotive importer, is that the 5 year rule for returning Dominicans and those coming in under residency, is still in effect.

If in doubt, you can always call Aduana......not rely on what people did in the past.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Didn't work with Obama in the USA and it won't work in the DR. Plagiarism is never a good thing, there are already enough instances happening across the spectrum in the DR.

Here, an old clunker is more valuable than a shiny new toy in terms of practicality and finance.

Back to the drawing board!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Send it......maybe your dealer has a "contact."

But the law.....just verified today with a large automotive importer, is that the 5 year rule for returning Dominicans and those coming in under residency, is still in effect.

If in doubt, you can always call Aduana......not rely on what people did in the past.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

BIGGEST fear: to have it confiscated. A general's son trashing it eventually, while I move around via motoconcho.

Jan 9, 2004
Oh you could always ship it back.

To verify, contact Aduana or contact a major shipper like Montero in Miami....or just read Ley-168.

My client imports monthly and reports the 5 year year rule has been in effect for some years now.

They tried to make it 10 in the last few years, but it did not pass........ditto 7.........same result.

Time to buy a newer vehicle......2012 can be admitted until June 30, 2018....and then 2013 will be the new cutoff year.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Oh you could always ship it back.

To verify, contact Aduana or contact a major shipper like Montero in Miami....or just read Ley-168.

My client imports monthly and reports the 5 year year rule has been in effect for some years now.

They tried to make it 10 in the last few years, but it did not pass........ditto 7.........same result.

Time to buy a newer vehicle......2012 can be admitted until June 30, 2018....and then 2013 will be the new cutoff year.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

to clarify, your client said the 5 year rule applies to everyone?

It seems that G was able to bring an older car using the residency provision. Could be that times/rules have changed since he did it.

Maybe G can clarify when he was able to do it. That may clear any confusion.